• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Greg_THX1138

Cruel Reflections

Guest Greg_THX1138

(I do not know if this is not too grim... and it is one of my cheerier ones. A moderator will decide)

Most people don't see,
How many places reflect,
They don't see things like me.

The ugly truth shows,
Every place I turn,
Reflections abound.

In the home and away,
Reflective surfaces show,
A gender just not my own.

Mirrors get covered,
Curtains get drawn,
But still I see.

Inside the home,
Glass and metal both show,
A body that I hate.

So I learn to live,
Life day to day,
Without looking in any of them.

Dressing, showering, combing my hair,
With no mirror is normal to me,
But never fails to surprise others.

Out in the world,
It's even worse,
I don't know where to look.

Cars, windows, and more,
Everywhere I turn,
Makes me wish I was blind.

Part of my life,
Revolves around,
Finding places to look.

Looking down is cruel reality,
Looking out shows more,
Of what people see as truth.

But the worst place I see,
Reflections I hate,
Are in other people's faces.

Charlize

Oh Greg while i think it is a great poem i am so sorry you feel that at this point. I know the feeling but for me it has lessened. I actually see the woman i am now in the mirror even though the body isn't perfect. The mirror isn't my friend but doesn't hate me now. Hopefully time will give you that gift. Finding happiness outside of our gender issues can help us to accept the imperfections we will always face. I've learned to enjoy my work, life and relationships but it took time.

Wishing you a poem of acceptance.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Greg_THX1138

Thank you for your kindness in both this and my other poem. Please see my introductory post ( http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58844 ). I can't transition and can't pass.

My writing is my outlet.

I really don't know which of my poetry is acceptable and which is not. While only 1 has absolutely dissallowed material, all of them are grim. Would it be possible to PM them (on their dA pages) to you or another moderator before posting to be sure I am ok with them until I have a better clue?

Guest DianeATL

Greg,

I am sorry that you feel this way but you are not alone. I never realized how little time I spent looking in a mirror, I would often leave my home with my hair a mess or shirt buttoned wrong only to catch a reflection in the elevator and try to fix it. I just avoided looking at my face or body and have virtually no pictures of him.

So like you there is a deep dislike or revulsion for the uniform I was issued. I just didn't realize how big it was until I started enjoying the mirror and pictures that reflected the real me.

Please continue to write if it is a good outlet, but be careful because sometimes when we write about such things, we aren't letting them out as much as we are digging ourselves deeper into the hole. So if you find a release and feel better after getting this off of your chest then go for it, even if it is just in a private diary and not posted. But if after writing you feel more depressed, then you probably need to force yourself to write some positive pieces. Think of it as a literary challenge to write about something positive in your life.

Hugs,

Diane

Guest LilyRose

Greg,

Writing is my outlet too; it's my absolutely favorite thing to do. I also feel your pain about dealing with reflections. I spent numerous years refusing to look into my mirror because I was horrified with the person I saw. I tried to hide from myself as often as I could. Refusing to shower, changing clothes only when I had to, not brushing my teeth, and much more. Anything I could do to avoid seeing myself in the mirror, I would do. And I spent most of my time in bed when I wasn't out in public. You are NOT alone!

I agree with Diana that writing should become a positive thing also. It's good to be able to release all of your negative energy, but if that's what you are surrounding yourself with, you will only feel more negative. I often write about something that does make me happy when I get done going through something negative. For example, I wrote a poem about bacon strips the other day when I was absolutely furious with something. Not only did I feel better about myself for writing about bacon, it made me hungry too!

Hang in there! *hugs aplenty*
Lily

Guest miss kindheart

It is ok to be down at times Greg

it gives meaning to up

Your a very good poet

Many artists best work is done in times of sorrow

Be good

:wub: vanna

Guest Greg_THX1138

Charlie

Uhm, this website's software and myh computer do not seem to like each other.

I posted a relatively in depth reply to this post at the same time as I posted a reply in my other poem. I also can't access the PMs to ask you about this. There is a database error again.

Sooo... could I ask you to please look for my reply to this (the one that was not posted) and PM me about its fate? I really do not want to spent time on another just to have it go missing again.

Guest Jennifer T

Wow Greg. Just wow! That last stanza was like an arrow - totally on the mark.

Guest Brenda Hailey

Greg, I suffered from Reflection Syndrome my self for many years, I would go weeks at a time literally without looking at myself in the mirror completely indifferent to who was there because it wasnt me.

The only times I wanted to look in the mirror is when I allowed myself to dress up, it made me feel better but also came with a certain amount of shame afterwards.

The best thing I ever did was look in that mirror one day dressed up how I wanted to be and then ACCEPT myself for being her...sure I still have the body that isnt completly me but taking the step to accept who is really behind the face is all ANY of us can do.

It wasnt easy at first but I dress eveyday now and LOVE to look in the mirror,,,,I actually smile at what I see now. Sure sometimes it scarey and sometimes I doubt,,,I dont have the physical features that would ever allow me to "pass" But smiling at myself often with what I do have is better than self loathing and never even looking.

Brenda Hailey

Well written, Greg. :thumbsup:

:ThanxSmiley: for sharing.

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 137 Guests (See full list)

• Damien Mcknight
    • Jackie C.
    • Alice K
    • Leah
    • Laura76
    • Snow Princess Sophie
    • Popcan
    • ShawnaLeigh
    • Juelie_Atlas
    • MaryEllen
    • JustineM
    • Kitty
    • Monica
    • Maid In Bedlam
    • lauraincolumbia
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Monica
    Newest Member
    Monica

No users celebrating today
    • ShawnaLeigh
      I tend to agree with @Willow on this.  I suppose it all boils down to your understanding and your definitions to both terms.  Both gender and sex can mean the same thing.  For instance. Your gender is male. Your sex is male.  However if you add the prefix Trans which means loosely. “The other side of”. *Wiki It puts the terms more in prospective for me.   I view a MTF or FTM as Trans-Gender.  You are moving from one gender, male, to the other side of male, which is female.   The word sexual has a different meaning then the word sex.To me Sexual is a desire.  Sex can be the “act of” or your gender.  It seems to me trans sexual is my “sexual desire” moving way from my original desire.  In my case born male from females to males.  Now in my case specifically I consider myself a trans gender women or MTF.  I however desire women still so I do not consider myself transsexual.     
    • Leah
      Try workout bras on e-bay. Not very sexy, but not obvious, even under a T-Shirt. And "Tee-shirt bras." Seamless cups.
    • Maid In Bedlam
      Thats a good point Willow.   I can understand in this day and age how the lines between Transsexual and Transgender are now blurred by the current state oi world.   To simplify as possible. So i do not go on with a 100 page essay. (yes those regular reading of my posts will know i can without comeing up for air)   However in my personal opnion. transsexual would be associated with someone that wants to completly transform and travel from one sex to another. Regardless of the sacrifices that may need to be made to reach that goal. where Transgender would be used for a person who only identifys there gender as oposite and would not consider gender dysphoria a condition they associate themselves with.   Im quite old school and like my distance from the transgendered mindset   Im not saying its wrong to be transgendered but i do believe its a diffrent state of being.   As far as children are concerned. I would personally aire on the side of transgender. As you pointed out. you cannot associate there state of mind to a sexual attraction to the opposite or same sex. However. I will say. I Knew i was diffrent at about 7 years of age or there abouts. But could not say i was transsexual. But knew i wanted to grow up female. Just like many others. I did go to bed at night and prayed i would wake up a girl.   I was Transsexual and even if i would not consider it in my current life. My transition finnished and now i am accepted as a woman in society and by myself. This was as i mentioned above what i always wished for before i went to sleep in my childhood    
    • Laura76
      MaryMary, Jackie C and Jani,   Thank you for your insight and recommendations. I will use them all. And Thank you VickySgv, I will be watching your videos tonight.   Any if there are additional recommendations that come to mind please send them.   Again thank you all, Laura76    
    • Aidan5
      I feel like he may have caught on to me or something. Since my friend Tyler and I were having a conversation about sports and trans teams. 
    • Jackie C.
      Cis or trans, a guy is still a guy. He wasn't all that far off. You're not really lying if you're being true to yourself. I tell people I'm a woman. That's true. I just need a couple of renovations to get my body caught up to the rest of me.   What a peculiar thing to strike up a conversation about. I admire your restraint. Depending on the day, I might have let him have it.   Hopefully, he'll learn better manners as he gets older.   Hugs!
    • Susan R
      Rachel, This hit me like a brick wall...eerily similar to what I stated in my “Life Changes” email I sent to my family as I was coming out.  It was the trigger.  sometimes it takes something like this to wake us up and really acknowledge our reality. Kudos to you for recognizing your truth.  I‘m sure it was as difficult for you as it was for me.   Here is a the way I stated it to my family from my email.   ”I started doing more and more soul searching and when I  found out that [our brother] had died, it really hit me hard. I realized life is  short and we aren't going to be around much longer. If we want to  share our lives with those we love, now is the best time to do it.”   My wife too!  Your story and mine are very similar.   Susan R🌷
    • Jackie C.
      Let's see... daily wear is usually a t-shirt with something clever written on it and jeans. Mostly dark colors and blues. I can get away with splashes of maroon though. I love my maroon jeans. Then I put a sweatshirt or a sweater on top if it because I'm cold. My current favorite is gray, kind of shapeless and has a fox wearing glasses featured predominantly on the front. Sometimes I spice it up with a long sleeved shirt. I'm sensitive about my bust line though so there's usually a high neck line with minimal cleavage showing. More formal wear will be a nice shirt. Usually blue or black with blue accents or a blue pattern. Then add slacks this time of year. Going formal I'll add one or two accents. Generally a necklace or wristband with a decorative scarf (again, sensitive about my lack of a bust line). No matter what, I'm nearly always wearing my favorite pair of boots. They're kind of medium-dressy ankle boots with a couple of decorative straps. They go with almost anything, but I also have party shoes, formal shoes, sneakers and athletic shoes as the situation requires.    In the summer, it will either be a t-shirt or a tank (I look great in a tank top) with shorts. Sometimes I rotate in one of my skirts. I have a lovely peasant skirt that is easily one of the coolest things I own on a hot day. Summertime is always sandals unless I'm dressing for a specific formal function.   For the most part, I look like a librarian. Not the sexy kind. Glasses. Conservative dress. Usually with some drapery. I've got a real thing for drapery when I'm decorating myself to go out.   Hugs!
    • Aidan5
      Morning all, I had a very awkward bus ride.    The kid next to me still thinks I am a cis guy ahaha. He never asked so I just went with it lol (I feel bad for lying but I dont think I will tell him anytime soon) So he turns to me and asks me.. "What's your view on trans people?"  So I kinda just sat there and before I could say anything he told me  "If a girl is trying to be a boy, I am still going to call her a her, because she will always be a she. The same for the other way around." So, I spoke up and told him that he should respect other people's pronouns. I don't hate him for his view but it is pretty mean not gonna lie, I will always respect other's views on subjects. I really don't want to be his friend anymore so I am just gonna avoid him. I won't start any drama because I am a gentleman (Sometimes haha)  
    • Michelle F
      Thank you so much everyone. Y'all  have really helped my transition. 
    • Willow
      @Maid In Bedlam@ShawnaLeigh  The two terms were in fact Transsexual and Transgender.  Transgender is currently considered to be the most correct term.  We have gender dysphoria,   not sexual dysphoria.  The definition of gender verses sex.   would a child determined to be transgender at a very young age be more attracted to "the opposite sex" than someone who figured it out well after puberty, a young adult?  Would the young adult who had some sort of experience be more attracted to "the same sex"?  Is there any correlation?   Willow  
    • Damien Mcknight
      I usually go for a more preppy, kinda tomboy goth thing, but also a light and cute pastel style   basically flannels, graphic tees, and black ripped jeans
    • MaryMary
      I have a silver bracelet forged by a trans woman (yes, forged). It's not trans related but it's the thing that I wear that's "I'm proud to be transgender". It's really beautifull
    • VickySGV
      I can't say they are my favorites, and I am not Goth, but if I reach of any outfit these days it seems to be some type of black T shirt and black slacks.  My most common source of T shirts are support purchases for Trans groups I am part of.  The one I grabbed when I tossed off my pajama top reads "Trans Voices Matter".
    • VickySGV
      To give you hope here, I have been out full time for 10+ years as myself and maybe 10 or 20 part time out before then and the feeling I have lost is SHAME which may be the word you are looking for more than embarrassed.  SHAME is a killer almost literally and needs to be dealt with or we are in trouble.  I am a Trans activist and while not star quality, I have been in the public eye in film and news and speaking engagements where people absolutely know I am Trans and I am proud and happy with all of that, so certainly SHAME has been put to its end for me.  We have nothing to be ashamed of, but it feels that way in our early days of exploration because we think our families and friends feel disappointment in us and we feel that we are letting their hopes and expectations down by coming out and living our own hopes.  I still struggle with that from time to time and have trouble dealing with expansive compliments about my living my truth and being a community model when I do not feel I have done as well as they say I have.   I overcome that feeling of letting people down by being the BEST ME I can be which, after all, is where we really should be going.  The shame we really deserve is when we have not been the best human being we can be, loving, fully accepting of others, able to celebrate differences and much more.     You are YOU!!  Find out how to be the BEST YOU you can be!  Have fun as you do it.
  • Upcoming Events