• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is my cost typical?

Guest ValerieD

Guest ValerieD

My current, pre-discount (the current discount, expiring at the end of the year, lowers the cost to $200) cost for laser is around $500/session. Is this typical? My top choice for a new job likely pays significantly less and is in an area with much higher rents ($900-1200/month being typical rather than $600-750), so I'm concerned about next year's budget.

It depends on the area on the body you are going to have lasered, and where you live. $500 seems steep for a session anywhere on the body. I received a discount for 6 sessions in a specific area, mainly the area for GRS. The average cost was $1200 total. But I could pay off the treatment with 4 payments without any interest. Afterwards I only pay half price for the same area. It's about $120. I've had 8 sessions, and know I will need at least one more. Although much of the hair is gone, and what is left is thin light brown hair. That still doesn't do anything about the gray hair though. I will need electrolysis for that.

Jenny

I've seen it that high, but also heard of much better deals and apparently that has been the case with the discount you have been getting. I am wondering why the discount ending.

I am also curious why take a job that pays significantly less located where rents are higher, but that's off topic I know? I am usually of a mindset of willing to accept less if it keeps me from having to pay higher living expenses.

Guest KimberlyF

I always had luck with groupons but I live in a huge metro area. I can compare and check out a place's reputation prior to purchase.

Since the tech knew I came in with a groupon, I witnessed her offering another woman a much higher rate to re-up the same time it was my time to renew. Most of the prices are not etched in stone as there is so much competition.

I paid $150 for three treatments that each lasted about 20 minutes of actual laser time aside from the set up and clean up time.

If they offer packages, those are usually cheaper too.

Guest ValerieD

Note: this is for face and neck, which my place counts as separate areas (the full cost for the face is $350/session, and neck is $145).

The discount was a summer discount originally set to expire at the end of September. Since then, it was extended to October, and then finally to the end of the year. It seemed like that was the final extension at my last appointment.

In my case, it's moving for a dream job in a totally different field from computer programming. It's worth noting that the area the apartment I want for that job is in is mountains with a 45 minute commute to civilization.

Guest Melissa~

I'm paying $125 per session on my face(actual cost is lower since there are five paid sessions then a free session.) I have heard of cheaper, but not in my region.

The one thing I learned when shopping is run far away from anyplace that makes their living on laser hair treatment. The place I go is actually a plastic surgery center that typically uses their laser concurrent with other treatment. They aren't out to make a living on their laser. An interesting side note is the performed SRS there in the past.

Guest ValerieD

What's a good way to find places that will do laser hair removal but don't make a living off of it? Google's very unhelpful... in fact, when I search for laser hair removal, I have to filter out all the electrolysis results it includes!

• Admin

What's a good way to find places that will do laser hair removal but don't make a living off of it? Google's very unhelpful... in fact, when I search for laser hair removal, I have to filter out all the electrolysis results it includes!

I'm afraid I don't understand your question, Valerie. Are you talking about a non-profit? Or someone doing it as a sideline? The equipment would be extremely expensive, I should think, making it prohibitively expensive for anyone except a corporation or large business.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest ValerieD

As Melissa mentioned - a place that does laser but primarily makes money another way. Advice in general is good too, because Google doesn't give very many results, so I can't shop around (don't live in a big city and likely never will) and am stuck with whatever I find.

• Forum Moderator

While i am waiting for HRT to work whatever magic it can i hope to start working on my beard in around a year. I will shop around and while doing so i will tell the folks that i'm doing that. As an old flea market seller and buyer i do my best to bargain with people. Specials can be continued for favorite clients i have found. If this holds true with one service i'm sure it applies elsewhere. Haggling over price is rare in the US but it still is amazingly affective if you give it a try. There is nothing to loose and they do want your business or they wouldn't have had a discount to start.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I went to a lady who owns her own laser/electrolysis/permanent makeup business who is well established in the transgender community as a good place to go. With her transgender discount, I was paying about $250 per laser session.

While I found her on my own, it turns out my gender therapist also had her own list of recommended places for laser/electrolysis and she was on the list.

Now I'm going to the top recommended lady for electrolysis. My GD therapist asked me "Do you want to go to someone who's close or do you want to go to the best?" Being the perfectionist I am I said "the best!" So it's an hour drive to see her but she's doing a really good job.

Guest Melissa~

I was chatting with my primary doctor about treatments and venues to access them, when he brought up the plastic surgery center(again it was a former SRS place.) He was under the impression they would be highly sympathetic, as it turned out they were, and happened to have their own YAG laser for hair removal. Ultimately this was was found by talking with my primary doctor even though he had no idea they had a laser.

• 2 months later...
Guest CassieX

I go through a Dermatologist for my laser needs on my face which is not too much these days as I mostly do electrolysis and can almost see the end of that in sight (will be 2 years in April). The price is significantly lower than what has been quoted by other people per session but my dermatologist uses an IPL which is not as powerful as other lasers. That being said, the life cycle of hair follicles pretty much means you will be going back a bunch of times one way or another so for me the IPL is definitely budget friendly and I will probably finish up with electrolysis anyway. But, as Charlie said, negotiating can get a good discount. I was lucky in that my electrologist recommended me to the dermatologist for the laser and that worked out very well.

Cassie