• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Guest LizMarie

Myths About Gender Confirmation Surgery

Carolyn Marie

Pretty good piece, LizMarie. Thanks for the link.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Deanna

This was really good article. I had some people read it.

Deanna

Wow! Thanks for the read. I am bug-eyed at some of the myths. Jody

Charlize

That was interesting and now when i read GCS i'll have a clue. It was a new one for me.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest DianeATL

Good article, a friend of mine is scheduled for GCS tomorrow so the topic is very timely for me.

Diane

VickySGV

The title had me worried for a couple of minutes, the other side of this has used a similar one to make the points this piece counters.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

It's been considered cosmetic for a very long time, and some believe, despite all the studies and information that states otherwise, that it's still cosmetic.

I was actually kind of hoping the Affordable Care Act would cover GCS but I see that's not going to be the case. :(

Guest LizMarie

It's been considered cosmetic by the insurance industry so they could avoid paying for it. The AMA and the APA has considered it medically necessary for a while. But hey, what do doctors know, right? Let the good ole' insurance boys decide. :P

Cyndee

Thanks Liz, I enjoyed reading this....

C -

Guest Melissa~

I read that article it seems pretty good to me. There was another one from 12-1-1 that popped up. Perhaps I can mention it a in another thread.

Guest LizMarie

There are so many acronyms in the community. :)

SRS - sex reassignment surgery

GRS - gender reassignment surgery

GRS - gender reconstruction surgery

GCS - gender confirmation surgery

And probably others I can't think of at the moment. I tend to use what others are using in any given thread of discussion here or on other forums. In my own discussions with close friends or family, I use SRS simply because that was what I first learned to use though I've been leaning towards GCS now too. :)

Guest CassieX

Good article,

I use GRS since it is the acronym they understand in my job and is referenced in our worker protections though I personally like the term GCS as it seems to me to be more spiritual, like the completion of a journey.

Cassie

Guest Leah1026

And probably others I can't think of at the moment. I tend to use what others are using in any given thread of discussion here or on other forums. In my own discussions with close friends or family, I use SRS simply because that was what I first learned to use though I've been leaning towards GCS now too. :)

Guest Leah1026

Personally I prefer the last one: Gender Confirmation Surgery.

That one avoids some of the pitfalls of the others and is the most accurate as far as I'm concerned.

As far as the original article... To be honest it seems like a rehash of the same article I've seen many times. I know the public needs to be educated, but I already know all that stuff. By the way there are more complete articles to explain this stuff as well.

For the myths and misconceptions used against transexual women:

http://skepchick.org/2012/01/13-myths-and-misconceptions-about-trans-women-part-one/

http://queereka.com/2012/01/02/13-myths-and-misconceptions-about-trans-women-part-two/

For transsexual people in general try this one:

http://chicago.gopride.com/blogs/blog_play.cfm/b/551/e/6132#tBE6132

Michelle F

Dammmm too bad the second two links failed...

Shoot... That was good reading cept no part 2

VickySGV
13 minutes ago, Michelle F said:

Shoot... That was good reading cept no part 2

This is from 6 years ago, and some links do expire.

Stillbourne

BLOW MY MIND!!! I needed to read this. And read it often I will! We have legal rights and medical proof?? I'm balling my eyes out right now. I'm not a freak. I'm not some conspiracy or experiment. I'm not unknown. I'm just not cis gender. Whew! I really can get on with the so called "show of my life". I've felt like I've been on pause for so long. Like, literally in a haze. Not just depression, but the whole numb, non-human feeling. 

Thanks for the share.

Claire

😭

Jani

Once we open our minds to the possibilities and get over the fear we can see many opportunities.  Please look at older posts as there is a wealth of information there.  And we are here to talk with! 

Jani