• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Valsyrie

Has Being Transgender Influenced Your Religious/Spiritual Beliefs?

Guest Valsyrie

Hello, everyone. I was wondering whether being transgender, a cross-dresser, intersex, etc. has influenced your religious or spiritual views. Unfortunately, many people use religion to justify their transphobia and their insistence on traditional gender roles. In my case, being transgender prompted me to completely re-evaluate my worldview.

My parents are conservative Christians, and until I was around 14, I shared my parents' religious beliefs. After years of struggling with my gender identity and praying for God to help "cure" me of my dysphoria, I finally decided that God must want me to be transgender. I stopped trying to suppress my feelings. It was at this point that I decided to re-evaluate my worldview. I knew that my parents believed that being transgender was wrong (they had made a few comments about it, and given that they oppose gay rights, I figured they probably weren't fond of trans people either), but I had come to the conclusion that God was okay with transgender people. This made me realize that my parents can be wrong about moral and religious matters, and I decided to see for myself if any of the other moral, political, and religious views that I had inherited from my parents were false.

Over the next two years, I became much more liberal in my theology. I realized that a literal interpretation of Genesis is absurd (I previously had been a young-Earth creationist). I came to the conclusion that homosexuality was not a sin. I came to believe that sex before marriage is not wrong. I came to believe that the Bible is not inerrant, and that Hell does not exist. After a while, I started to question the central tenets of Christianity. And in October of 2011, I became an atheist.

I want to be clear that I'm not trying to deconvert anyone by starting this thread. Although I think religion is on the whole harmful, I don't think being confrontational with religious people solves anything, and I certainly don't think that all religious people are stupid. I'd like to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. When coming to grips with your gender identity, did you change your religious/spiritual beliefs?

VickySGV

I am a practicing Christian, and I agree with your evaluation of the Bible completely. Taken as a spiritual approach to life after the total literality has been purged, it starts making sense. It is a words about god and people who sought that god, and the story and many things inspired in their lives is there.

I was created with an image of the great creator in my center of being, and was still then and am Trans*. Unlike you, I do have a welcoming and very accepting worship home. I have left my stories all over the Christian Forum, and I admit I do not have more than a brief quote or two of a scripture sprinkled in there. Mostly it is about the acceptance and care I have received from the people who saw me come apart from GD and resulting alcohol relapse and then saw me become a person who was much more a part of them and who actually gave them a vision of the great life changing efforts they need to make for them to live more god centered lives. We even think that atheists can be good folks as well, and can teach us things we need to know.

I am also a two spirit who hears the drums and chants of both of my spirits, and find they in no way interfere with my other beliefs. .

Guest Motormouth18

I grew up in a Christian household as well. I started questioning Christianity several months before I realized who I was and came to terms with it. I'm like you were in that I don't believe that being in the GLBTQIA(I think that's all) is wrong. Stuff happens for a reason or at least I think.

I began to do research on Christianity. I found out the bible had been mistranslated and "altered" to fit in with what the leaders believed in. I also found out that several books had been left out. My faith in the book has shrinked a good deal.

I still in "God" or the possibility of him/her/it existing. I am at odds with several members of my family, but for the most part I keep my mouth shut out of respect.

Guest April63

I don't think being transgender has changed my religious beliefs. My religious background isn't very supportive of transgender, so I did fight with it for a while, but in the end I don't think my religious beliefs actually changed due to how I felt.

April

Bulldog1948

I was and still am a Christian. In my case, I had a lot more than being TS to deal with. Mine was being intersexed or a enouch in the Bible. So, I researched and read all the applicable scriptures and found out I was still saved and could go to Heaven. So, I quit worrying about it.

Mike

tracy_j

I was brought up Christian. Since then I have looked at other peoples of the world and their religions - I have adapted so to accept these so things are more complex - why should one religion be superior when in actual fact many are essentially the same or have valid meaning. It is people and relationships that are important, and one of my main sayings is that 'People are people'. I have not changed although am not devout, but could not describe my exact spiritual standpoint.

That is my current understanding. I should say that this has had no effect on my thinking regarding me or anyone else being transgender and I would not think my opinion will change!

Tracy x

Guest Katerina

I am a practicing Christian, and I agree with your evaluation of the Bible completely. Taken as a spiritual approach to life after the total literality has been purged, it starts making sense. It is a words about god and people who sought that god, and the story and many things inspired in their lives is there.

I was created with an image of the great creator in my center of being, and was still then and am Trans*. Unlike you, I do have a welcoming and very accepting worship home. I have left my stories all over the Christian Forum, and I admit I do not have more than a brief quote or two of a scripture sprinkled in there. Mostly it is about the acceptance and care I have received from the people who saw me come apart from GD and resulting alcohol relapse and then saw me become a person who was much more a part of them and who actually gave them a vision of the great life changing efforts they need to make for them to live more god centered lives. We even think that atheists can be good folks as well, and can teach us things we need to know.

I am also a two spirit who hears the drums and chants of both of my spirits, and find they in no way interfere with my other beliefs. .

Hi,

I am presently trying to figure this all out. It seems my religion of choice, (Roman Catholicism), is certain that my condition requires celibacy, chastity, and no hormones. I am supposed to be able to handle this. The fact that I do not handle this perfectly is also handled well by them, but I have to try again each time I fail at this, to follow their rules. I do not and cannot fault them for their rules. I have no judgements on them either.

The confusion for all this is, what does God want from me, but in context, what does He want individually from any of us, for it seems to me our contact with God, in anyway shape or form, is in fact different for each of us. In the end, belief is the rule, for Christians, that is stated Biblically, as being a very important item to God.

If this belief statement given above is true, (which it is for me..), then the uncomfortable results are, we are not totally sure of our positions, even though somewhere found in us, is the ability to keep on believing in our own personal positions despite others telling us we are wrong.

I am a little sorry if that last sentence was too long.

Belief that you are okay with God, somehow, is probably actually true for you. As, once upon a time (a real story not a made up one), there was this girl who God actually talked to, and this has been verified by every competent honest person. However, at several points in her life, there was no one who could help her in what she was going through, except..... God Himself.

(She wrote a diary on this. Translated into english from Polish, it is called The Divine Mercy Diary. Faustian wrote it, but it says Jesus requested she write down what she put in her diary.)

Whether you believe or know of the above work, since this is personal, I will speak of my issues and how this relates. I have had in the past only God, to help me understand what I was going through with Him. And back then, not now, He was very very present and known to me, sensed by me, and almost seen. I was fully t* (Some variation of transgender or inter sexed) at the time. I still am t* now.

Most of my interactions with Him, happened while I was t*. Interactions with Him, Jesus, The Holy Spirit and Mary, culminated in one event, after which I was left with less and less until there is no interactions with them in a sensing, way. Now all I have is belief.

Prior to that event in which everything changed, (and it was a wonderful event that fully made sense), I had the fact of God, and could no longer say, I believed in anything connected with Him except that I was not hallucinating. And for that many many people, experienced, educated, qualified ones, said: No you are anything but mentally ill. Since you verified every item, you are not hallucinating at all. I did verify everything, back then.

Now though with I being exactly like most most most and then some, everyone else that is alive, I have no direct connections with God anymore, I have the memories of what was learned, and I have to have belief only in what happened in that one event, that I called 'culminating'.

I miss direct contact with God. I miss it a lot. I miss not being a Catholic in every sense of the word. I miss it a lot. I do not like, but it as mentioned previously extremely liked by God, faith, because it is difficult and feels uncertain at times. However, what I am going through religiously, is also almost exactly what I am going through being t*'d,,,on faith alone, because I don't ever remember choosing and no one else does either and even my religion says it is no choice, I quietly act on my being t*'d, and do not make my religion of choice accept my and my ways, but hope that I am not wrong in doing God's Personal Will for me, and hope that someday, He makes it impossible for my religion not to be wrong in their treatment of t*'d people like me.

Katerina, (The girl inside of me.)

Guest Debutante

Having grown up in an ethnic (Eastern European) Roman Catholic family in the Boston area,

I've inherited their shame and guilt over gender and sexual minorities. Things are changing for the better

these past 10+ years. But the harshness, rigidity and intolerant attitudes the religious held, and

also by family members, I've come to reject it by age 19. My wife has had the same experience.

Religion should be welcoming of all, allowing great tolerance of differences. Built on love and understanding.

My wife and I no longer support the patriarchcal-based religions.

Guest alissa16

This a been a long, long agonizing journey with lots of twists, turns, and dead ends..Answer? I don't know..

I just can't find peace in the knowledge that an all knowing, loving God. Callously imposes a non assistance

form of take it or leave it..blessed or doomed..idoligy come on!!!!

There is bunches and tons of intellectual discourse on how great and miraculous this supreme being is..

I can only say..how bout ending you lunch break and give a hand.

Guest TracieV3

Alissa makes a point.

The mix of transgender issues and religious can lead to negative results. And even if the transgender individual is not killed, or severely harmed, over religious issues, they would still likely have a profound dislike for both religion in general, and any supposed supreme being.

Some transgender individuals may even consider themselves to be doubly damned.

That no matter what they do, they are damned in this life and the next, to suffer eternally in hell, no matter what they do. While those that hurt them are rewarded with eternity in heaven.

Such revelations would create an extremely bitter, if not wrathful, individual.

Interesting question. Me, no. I'm atheist, but it made my wife believe even more. Because she's so accepting of me, she believes that god got us together. Maybe she's correct, in reality, what do any of us truly know?

*HUGS*

-Fiona

Guest Raya

I could not leave my faith behind. I've received a couple miracles personally, and cannot account for my still being alive but for these gifts from God.

I did choose to find an accepting church, and gained a "bigger" picture of God as a result of accepting my TS self- this has been my big change.

Guest Mickey

On this day 2 years ago, I was laying in a hospital bed, in the cardiac unit. I believed the Bible and the things I'd learned and thought that I would burn in hellfire for being trans. I decided that I would be happy for what ever life I had left and be my true self, even if it meant that I'd burn for it. When I got out and went home I started doing my research and started to transition. I gave up on God but He didn't give up on me. I discovered the Truth in the Bible. That God loves me, He made me this way so I could walk the trans path, live as a woman and tell others who might have given up on God. Tell them that He does love them. I say it over and over, I am perfectly willing to sit with anybody to study the Bible together and let them see for themselves that what they've been taught about the Bible and it's stance on things LGBT related, is wrong. A lot of things were mistranslated and it has resulted in the wrong message being preached.

I am a trans woman, I am also a Christian. By Christian I don't mean the kind that you mostly see in the news these days. I mean I am one who studies the Bible for her self and follows it's teachings the best she can.

Guest AshleighP

Well spoken CarlaMichelle. I too, consider myself a Christian. I struggle with whether I am sinning by cross dressing. The only Scriptures I can find that speak to the subject are in the Old Testament. As Christians, we are taught that the Old Testament is "the law" and we no longer live under the law, but under Grace, which comes from believing in Jesus and the sacrifice He made for us. And, once saved by Grace, you can never lose that salvation.

The conclusion I have come to, and the one that helps keep me sane (mostly), is that God loves me and wants me happy. If cross dressing makes me happy, and it doesn't hurt anyone, then it's not a sin.

Just my humble opinion and 2 cents worth on a topic that will never be truly answered in this life.

Guest Razilee

I can agree with Katerine, "My religion of choice, (Roman Catholicism), is certain that my condition requires celibacy, chastity, and no hormones. I am supposed to be able to handle this. The fact that I do not handle this perfectly is also handled well by them." I fantasize about getting on hormones, but that would be contraceptive, and from the data may have other bad side effects. I'd say that it's my religion, my faith in God actually, that has influenced my dealing with being transgendered. He made me, is the only One Who truly knows me and loves me unconditionally. I trust that He can guide me individually as He guides His Church. He has done so until now. To paraphrase Mordecai, "If you persist in remaining silent at such a time, relief and deliverance will come to the [trans community] from another quarter. .... Who knows? Perhaps you have come to the Kingdom for just such a time as this?" (Est 4:14)

Love you all,

Raz

StephanieVikingGirl

Well I am coming kinda late to this thread, but here goes: my faith has increased with transition. I wasn't raised in a specific religion, but I had some spiritual issues early on. I had unplanned, and unwanted "out of body" travel starting at eleven or twelve. I also felt a strong need for a religion to deal with this, and all the other aspects of my spiritual life. I started learning about my Asatru/Heathen faith in High School, and subsequently began to practice it as a member of the Hall of the True Gods in college at the University of Maryland. Heathenry has fulfilled all my needs for religion. I am an ordained Godperson for the Troth (a Universalist Heathen religious denomination), and when I began transition I rededicated myself to the Gods, this time as a woman. I finally fulfilled my promise of many years to Freyja my true guide, and so I became her representative on Mid-Gard (our mother Earth). My successful transition has deepened my faith, and given me a recurring desire to give back to others, and give thanks to the Gods. Hail.

hugs,

Stephanie