• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Brenda Hailey

Free to be you

Guest Brenda Hailey

This is the first poem I have ever written in my entire life that I can recall. I am new to this and hope and hope it reads well.

"Free to be you"

Born perfectly as one

Knowing steadfast and true

Your spirit filled with certainty

No question as to who

Genuine,unwavering

Free to be you

Absent confusions deepest pain

Growing as expected,beyond any clue

Selflessly existing ,never to explain

Void each intrusion forging the heart blue

innocently conformed

Free to be you

Gaining friends and acceptance

with comfort and ease

Effortlessly straightforward

Never wondering what to do

Constant ,reliable

Free to be you

Your self image undaunted

Anatomy agreeable,fittingly dispersed

Movements naturally flowing,legitimate and unhindered

Feelings bloom in faithful expression

Virtuous,guiltless

Free to be you

The essence of loyal character

Gives meaning to all you do

Your soul immune estrangement

From the wo/man hiding within

Ignorant,indifferent

Free to be you

In me everything opposite is true

A coward fearful of myself

living in a shadow of despair

Never being who I am,and forever wishing

I was

Free to be you.

Brenda Hailey 1/11/2014

For you shall now be consoled

No praises,silver nor gold,

only that for which your soul does yearn.

Thank you, Jennifer T :wub::friends:

VickySGV

:thumbsup::thumbsup::) :)

Guest Motormouth18

You're a natural poet, Brenda. :)

:groupwavereversed::thumbsup: Don't sell yourself short, even though all those things are true, you will have a new freedom and a new happiness on the way soon. It's that ugly duckling period that is so painful on the way to swanhood. I love the poem. Keep the ink flowing, I think you have a talent there girl friend. Hug. JodyAnn

Nice work, Brenda Hailey. :welldone:

Thank you for sharing with us. :friends:

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

Charlize

Nicely done. It certainly expresses your anguish so well. As Jodie says this too shall pass. Like the rooms of AA i was eventually able to say something i felt was so bizarre when i first stumbled in. " I'm a grateful alcoholic" . That can happen here as well and we can find peace with ourselves.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Jennifer T

Brenda, if this is your first attempt at poetry, then yes, you are indeed a natural poet. Well laid out, nice rythym and great word usage.

All poems reflect something of the heart of the poet. Brenda, within each and everyone if us lies both the coward and the hero. Sometimes it's a linear progression, sometimes it's regression. But more often than not they exist side by side. The hero could be no hero if she felt no fear or some sound of cowardice.

I commend you.

Peace

Guest Brenda Hailey

Thank you all for the kind words, and the inspiration to pursue poetry a while longer and see where it goes.

Its something I think I need to do as it has been a dormant part of me far to long,there has to be something meaningful if I had spent my life never seeking to fulfill it. The emotion it has the power to release is strong.

That which has been repressed must now be explored.

Brenda Hailey

Guest miss kindheart

Love the poem Brenda :wub:

Your a natural :friends:

:wub: vanna

Guest Jennifer T

"It's hard to be a man and it's difficult being a woman. But the hardest thing is knowing who you truly want to be."

- Parinya Charoenphol

Guest Jennifer T

Actually Joann, I screwed the quote up a little. It should have said:

".... But the hardest thing is remembering who you truly want to be."

Guest Jennifer T

Oh good grief. I'm getting old...

Guest Brenda Hailey

Actually Joann, I screwed the quote up a little. It should have said:

".... But the hardest thing is remembering who you truly want to be."

Its not a misquote really, I know "exactly" what was said regardless how it was written. :D

Guest Brenda Hailey

Oh good grief. I'm getting old...

With age, grace is given for forgetting,besides you already know who you really want to be,thats not the issue. :friends:

gennee

A truly beautiful poem, Brenda. You're a natural. Your feelings, fears, dreams and successes come out. I started writing poems only two years ago. Have written over a hundred since then. Keep on writing!

:):score::thumbsup::goodjob:

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 73 Guests (See full list)

• Jackie C.
    • Shay
    • MaryMary
    • Jani
    • Becoming Jordan
    • Luhleleri
    • Susan R
    • MaryEllen
    • Kylie
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

myt10
    Newest Member
    myt10

1. Eden
      Eden
      (65 years old)
    • Jani
      What other songs about weekdays can you think of.  Here's The Boomtown Rats with I Don't like Mondays.      
    • Jani
      Another cool band from the 60's.  Can't forget "Friday on my mind"  (Even my old man looks good!)      
    • Jani
      Many including myself believe that live here on Earth can be both Heaven or Hell.  It all depends upon how we live.  Stay true to who you are and live a good life.  If there is an afterlife, you will be fine.  I was also raised in a religious family and I do not believe god is an angry or vengeful deity.  
    • Jani
      Thanks Heather @Shay.  It is a beautiful sentiment.  We are all stronger together.    Jani
    • Naz86
      I’ve had the same question in my head since I can remember and What I’ve come to believe is if you’re pure at heart and a decent human being there’s always a place for you heaven. We leave our body behind and our souls are the only thing that lives in the after life.    be true and be yourself    rest is up to god 😁
    • MaryMary
      Your story is very similar to mine. What you are feeling is normal. Those who are close to a transgender person that is making a transition go trough a transition themselves. Identity is something very abstract until you are in the situation you are in. It's normal to go trough a kind of mourning and to feel like you are losing someone in the beginning. It's still very much the same person but identity working the way it works I think it trigger something in our brain. My ex has gone trough the same thing you are going trough right now. Don't be too hard on yourself and give yourself some space and time to process and adjust to all of this. The fact that you are here and have a strong desire to help and support him is already something incredible and very beautiful to me, keep it up Sometimes I feel that since we have no "template" for your situation it's easy to feel very bad and react negatively when in reality you are experiencing something very normal.   Anecdote : My ex when I was at the same point in my transition was bitching Mary because she saw her as a competition for him. Yet, him and her were all just... me. lol It's so special when you think about it. It's not easy and if you ever need help or if you ever need to talk don't hesitate to write again in our forum
    • Susan R
      Hello @myt10 and welcome to our forum. I hope we can help. I want to say that I admire you for taking time to reach out and try to understand your feelings and fears as you venture into this new unknown. My wife was where you are two years ago and it was difficult. Your feelings are totally understandable and your spouse needs to understand that you have to make adjustments also if they want your support. They sound like are in a big hurry but for them it’s like the shot was fired and they are only trying to realize their dream of becoming their true self. Right now communication is key. You need to get them to really listen to you. They need to validate your feeling more than anyone here on this forum. You seem like you are not having an issue with the possible transition but it’s just moving a little too fast for you right now. This is a common complaint by even the most accepting spouses and partners of a transgender individual who has recently come out. Is your spouse really hearing you and understanding your needs? You might ask them straight up what they think your biggest fear is and see what their response is. Often they are reading your actions and nonverbal responses to their changes as negative. They may not understand what you need. I would ask your spouse if they might be interested in going to therapy with a gender focused counselor. This may help you both compromise with each other to make this unknown a little more predictable for you both.  My wife and I made similar arrangements and it worked very well. A good therapist can help fit a plan to you and your spouse with more complete information. I would definitely look into this as an option. Thank you for sharing...I know it’s difficult but you two have all the makings of a couple that can weather this storm.   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • SaraAW
      Thanks @Susan R. That's the goal, help her come to acceptance and continue loving each other. Have a great day! Hugs!
    • Niamh
      So I'm 62 - does that mean I only love 70s/80s music? Absolutely not. My daughter accidentally introduced me to EDM a few years ago at a music festival in England. And having started clubbing at the age of 52, I thoroughly love modern club music. This is the latest music I'm into from K-391 and Alan Walker....  
    • Susan R
      @SaraAW Congratulations on this required next step for your name change. It’s going to feel so good when it finally becomes official.😊 I know it must be difficult not getting the backing of your wife. However, It may help her see in a few weeks or a month that you’re still the same person you’ve always been. Life will continue and your love for her will not waiver due to this legal name change.   Susan R🌷 
    • myt10
      [Note: I'll be using he/him pronouns as he hasn't changed his pronouns yet.]   He started talking about the possibility of being nb or trans about a year ago, but it wasn't until recently that I found out he was doing a really deep dive into talking to other trans people and reading about dysphoria and the like. He took a small step to alleviate dysphoria about a week ago, collapsed into tears in front of me, and spent the next few days in a mixed state of anxiety and euphoria as he took tiny little steps just within our household to feel more feminine, even if he isn't out to anyone but me and his two best friends.   Initially I was relieved on his behalf and desperate to support him in any way possible, and... I still want to do that. He talks about the feeling of being in the closet as wearing a "man suit" and that that feeling's increased as he's taken more steps to alleviate dysphoria, and I don't want him to feel like he has to live in that man suit for the rest of his life if it makes him hate his body and himself. I'm bi/pansexual, so the prospect of being married to a woman doesn't bother me. But I'm here on this forum because as he takes more and more steps away from a masc presentation and towards a femme one, I feel like I'm losing touch with the person I married, and I feel terrible saying that. Is he becoming someone new? I know he isn't, but that doesn't change that the energy coming off of him is different now. The more he changes, the more uncertain I get, the more scared I get. I don't know if I'm ready for this, and I really have no say. I can't force him into the closet just because I'm irrationally worried that he's going to change so much, not even talking about visibly, that he becomes unrecognizable. I know he'll be the same person underneath the femme, but -- will he be? Do I know that? This is so hard to admit, and I feel awful, but I don't know where else to turn. I don't want to hurt him by voicing this to him, he's going through enough. I love him. I'm just scared.   I know I can get through this. I know I can be there for him. I just need someone to validate these feelings. I can't bear feeling like he's chosen this over continuing our relationship as comfortably as, at least, I thought it was, and it was to me, because that is absolutely unfair and irrational and I know that.   I'm crying as I write this because I'm hating myself for being so selfish. I know it's wrong. I'm sorry, I hope this doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. I just needed to be honest somewhere.
    • MaryEllen
      OMG  That is so awesome. Thank you. ❤️
    • Shay
      wise words - do what you can to nurture relationship but remember there is only one person you have any power to change - you can only plant good seeds.  
    • KymmieL
      Jani you are right. it would be good for me that I would be able to be with my wife more. As she works days and when I am working closings and weekend we have no time for us. Maybe I'll talk to the manager and see just what pay cut I will have.   Kymmie
    • Shay
      @MaryEllen You asked me to send Safe Haven song - here it is.. Hugs, Heather Shay safe haven.mp3
  • Upcoming Events