• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Broadway And Movie Musicals

Guest Elizabeth K

Guest Nikk

*Gasp* Nobody has listed any of my favorites (except Avenue Q)!

In order:

1. Rent. Best musical ever; I own the songbook and One Song Glory is just amazingly alsfkldajklfd;a. And Angel is <3 (by the way, any of the people named Angel here on the forums make me want to break out in Today for You, just saying).

2. I've never actually seen the musical, but the music from Wicked is amazing.

3. I've never seen this musical either, but Avenue Q is just tooooo funny for words.

4. Miss Saigon. Oh my deity, it's got such beautiful music. And the singer who was in it.... Just wooooow.

5. Phantom of the Opera (been mentioned but awesome). I actually saw this on Broadway (lucky me), and just wow wow wow. The actors, the singing. The only complaint I had was that I couldn't hear the words because their singing was too amazing.

Guest CharlieRose

No one here likes Sweeney Todd? Def one of my favorite musical horror/film noir/tragedies/black comedies. Phantom of the Opera and Jesus Christ Superstar are also quite rad. I like the Original recording of JCS with Ian Gillian. It rocks so hard it's crazy. And it really makes you think about how cool the story of Jesus actually is. Oh, yeah, and while I'm on that subject, Prince of Egypt and Hunchback of Notre Dame, the dreamworks and disney musicals are also really amazing. I love Stephen Schwartz, who wrote at least part of the music for both of them. Prince of Egypt is SO intense and is a really great story, too (I tell people this and they either go, "Ew, religion!" or "Isn't that a kid's movie?" NO! It's AMAZING!) Hunchback has some, well, let's call them "disney" parts, but Tom Hulce is such an amazing singer, and it's got that crazy latin chanting choir intertwined in it. (I can recite the act of contrition in latin because of that soundtrack)

So, my list is:

1) Phantom of the Opera

2) Jesus Christ Superstar

3) Hunchback of Notre Dame

4) Sweeney Todd

5) Prince of Egypt

Now I have my favorite songs from all of them in my head at once. (Angel of Music, Heaven on their Minds, Out There, A Little Priest and the Let my People Go one, I don't remember the name)

Guest Pól_Eire
How does Mimi, a woman dying of consumption (Tuberculosis) in La Boheme manage the breathe support for that aria? No wonder she died right then!

I always wondered that :lol:

Pól

No one here likes Sweeney Todd? Def one of my favorite musical horror/film noir/tragedies/black comedies.

Sweeny Todd rocks!

(secretly thinks Johnny Depp was really cute in the film :wub: )

Guest Cody_T

Dude, am I invisible now?

I'm almost certain that I posted both on Rent and Sweeney Todd... *cough*Charlie*cough*Nikk

lol

A Little Priest is probably my favorite too. I love to randomly sing it, and since there are two parts I probably look a little bit crazy. Then again, the lyrics accomplish that too :P I wouldn't have thought of Prince of Egypt as a musical, but now that you mention it, it'd be on my top list too. We watched that probably 6 times throughout my school career. My favorite is when he takes off his wig after chariot racing and for like, probably three seconds he's really hot.

I don't think I mentioned my favorite Rent song... anyway, One Song Glory.

Sweeny Todd rocks!

I'd have to not-so-secretly agree with you :D

Oh and I don't think I'd seen Rocky Horror last time I commented on this, cause that's one of my favorites too. Tim Curry... Gosh darned, if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. There's just something about him...

However, I don't really remember the music so much as Tim Curry. Oh, umm, Dammit Janet. That was my favorite.

Apparently, musicals really bring out the homo in me. Who'da guessed? ;)

Guest Cody_T

I'm almost certain that I posted both on Rent and Sweeney Todd... *cough*Charlie*cough*Nikk

lol

A Little Priest is probably my favorite too. I love to randomly sing it, and since there are two parts I probably look a little bit crazy. Then again, the lyrics accomplish that too :P I wouldn't have thought of Prince of Egypt as a musical, but now that you mention it, it'd be on my top list too. We watched that probably 6 times throughout my school career. My favorite is when he takes off his wig after chariot racing and for like, probably three seconds he's really hot.

I don't think I mentioned my favorite Rent song... anyway, One Song Glory.

Sweeny Todd rocks!

I'd have to not-so-secretly agree with you :D

Oh and I don't think I'd seen Rocky Horror last time I commented on this, cause that's one of my favorites too. Tim Curry... Gosh darned, if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. There's just something about him...

However, I don't really remember the music so much as Tim Curry. Oh, umm, Dammit Janet. That was my favorite.

Apparently, musicals really bring out the homo in me. Who'da guessed? ;)

Guest Cody_T

Okay, I meant something else instead of gosh darned... hint, it's something beavers build. And not in the "gosh darned" sense so much as in the drawn out impressed sense.

Guest CharlieRose

lol

Wha? Nuh-uh! *checks* Oh, THERE you are, way at the end of the first page! (I must confess if something's two pages long I only read like the first and last few posts and skim the rest)

And Sweeney Todd, cute? Hmm... He actually really disturbed me, to be honest. The mark of a really good actor, I guess. Johnny Depp's one of my favorite actors, and I fully expected to love his character to bits, but by the time in the end where they're looking for Toby, the boy, and Mrs. Lovett is calling him and singing that sweet little song, the "Not While I'm Around" one, and then Sweeney goes, "TOBY!!!" in his snarl, I distinctly remember in the theater going, "THAT'S not gonna make him want to come back! *hides from Sweeney, too*" He's scary.

I think Mrs. Lovett is my favorite character in that movie/musical. (I've only seen the movie) She's such an idiot, I just love her so much. The "By the Sea" song, and, uh, *Spoilers* when Sweeney finds out she lied, if you listen really closely to the waltz song when he appears to be forgiving her, she sings, "Can we still be married?!" Ha ha, NO. I rarely predict things in movies, but the first time I saw that when he looked up at her and was like, "You lied to me." I was just like, "Ooooohh, you are so dead." I just want to pat her on the head or something. Silly Mrs. Lovett.

Guest Cody_T
Wha? Nuh-uh! *checks* Oh, THERE you are, way at the end of the first page! (I must confess if something's two pages long I only read like the first and last few posts and skim the rest)

And Sweeney Todd, cute? Hmm... He actually really disturbed me, to be honest. The mark of a really good actor, I guess. Johnny Depp's one of my favorite actors, and I fully expected to love his character to bits, but by the time in the end where they're looking for Toby, the boy, and Mrs. Lovett is calling him and singing that sweet little song, the "Not While I'm Around" one, and then Sweeney goes, "TOBY!!!" in his snarl, I distinctly remember in the theater going, "THAT'S not gonna make him want to come back! *hides from Sweeney, too*" He's scary.

I think Mrs. Lovett is my favorite character in that movie/musical. (I've only seen the movie) She's such an idiot, I just love her so much. The "By the Sea" song, and, uh, *Spoilers* when Sweeney finds out she lied, if you listen really closely to the waltz song when he appears to be forgiving her, she sings, "Can we still be married?!" Ha ha, NO. I rarely predict things in movies, but the first time I saw that when he looked up at her and was like, "You lied to me." I was just like, "Ooooohh, you are so dead." I just want to pat her on the head or something. Silly Mrs. Lovett.

*Possible Spoilers*

He's cute, trust me... this is actually the first movie where I actually liked Johnny Depp beyond his acting. I expected to hate his character since my friend had given me the rundown on the plot and characters beforehand, but I was really sad at the end. Although you do have a point that he's kind of scary. Would not want to know him in real life, there's just something hot about being a homocidal maniac... I guess. I was thinking the same thing when he calls Toby... so ineffective and scary. And definitely his face through the grate is beyond creepy.

Ms. Lovett is such an intriguing character, and that line cracked me up. I don't think I even noticed it the first time. I wonder how much of their relationship is imagined. Obviously she's trying to create it and he's distraught over other things, but there's a little grey area too. Like, in By the Sea, she says "me rumpled bedding legitimized" in reference to getting married, and he's hearing this song too... so are we to assume that they are already, or that she's simply projecting? It's not like there's a bed in his shop. So if he's using her affection for housing and stuff, it makes sense for her to be thinking that they would get married. Plus he keeps calling her a "bloody wonder". So she's got to think he's at least a little into her. But also I thought she was pretty much forcing a relationship since she liked him, the way she subtly keeps pushing him away from his wife and kids. Now that I think about it... she actually scared me more than Sweeney. Obvs I'm never going near him when he has a razor (or furnace, or teakettle... maybe never), but she's just as creepy since she's pretty two faced, especially with Toby towards the end. She and Sweeney are made for eachother. Look up Sweeney Todd in concert or something like that on youtube... with George Hearn and Patti LuPone. The closing moment is completely perfect for the characters.

Oh and anyone who can play Ms. Lovett has my utmost respect. She has such difficult songs.

• Admin

Wow, I can't believe that no one has yet mentioned (unless I missed it) ANY Gene Kelley or Fred Astaire musicals.

My all time favorite: Singing in the Rain

I also love Royal Wedding (Fred Astaire's unforgettable dance on the ceiling)

Fiddler on the Roof; Chess; On the Town (another Gene Kelley favorite); Moulin Rouge; The Barkley's of Broadway; and Carousel.

And my pick for all time best animated musical: Alladin. Runners up in this category: Cinderella, and Pinocchio.

Carolyn Marie

Guest nova

"five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes, how do measure a year in the life . . . how about love, . . . measuring love . . ".

RENT

I love love love RENT. I fell in love with Wilson Jermaine Heredia as 'Angel'. When Angel died I just started bawling in the theatre. Just hearing the opening number makes me tear up.

Guest TheShana82

Favorite Broadway musicals

Cabaret, Phantom of the Opera, Rent, and Avenue Q

Favorite Musical Movies

Nightmare Before Christmas, Little Shop of Horrors, Rent, Cabaret, and Sweeny Todd

Don't really have favorite songs... cause I enjoy them all

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alyssa Leigh
West Side Story

The Labyrinth (David Bowie is soooo hot)

Phantom of the Opera

Rocky Horror Picture Show

The Sound of Music

I like the West Side Story

Rocky Horror Picture Show

The Labyrinth

and some others that a few people mentioned

Avenue Q

Grease 1

Guest Neil!

No one's mentioned The Producers yet! :c

...I think that and Rocky Horror are the only musicals I've ever seen, unless Disney movies count.

What did Lewis say to Clark when everything looked bleak?

What did Sir Edmund say to Tenzing as they struggled toward Everest's peak?

What did Washington say to his troops as they crossed the Delaware?

I'M SURE YOU'RE WELL AWAAAAAARE!

("...What'd they say?")

I wanted so badly to see Avenue Q last November but I couldn't afford tickets.

I was bitter about that for months.