• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trans Affirming Churches

Guest chngnwnd

Guest chngnwnd

I have seen a lot of discussion about what churches are trans affirming and which are not. As hard as finding a church is, I just want throw a little more information out there...

I go to Metropolitan Community Church in my city. They have locations all over the US and are actually a majority LGBT congregation in many places. I did have to teach them a little about us here in my home town, but they were open to learning. I feel welcome and accepted and find it a very affirming environment.

For those still looking for a place, if this option is available, it is worth checking out.

Bobbi

Hi Bobbi,

I appreciate this information. Not that I'm a churchgoer...

Every year, we hold our TDOR ceremony in a different venue, trying to get the word out to a larger audience. The UCC (United Church of Christ) and the MCC have been mentioned as friendly organizations. We will try those as well as some who might not be as inviting. Last year, we were in a Catholic church that was very receptive of us.

Love, Megan

• Forum Moderator

In my community the United Methodist Church is very accepting and supportive. Not just of me but of all people no matter what their situation. I look around now and then and realize that most of those with challenges in our community -from autism to more physical challenges as well as those who march to their own drummer-are members of our church along with many people who are also community leaders and they are all equally embraced and made to feel cherished as well as included. Funny thing is they seldom discuss it but in the few times it has come up they have said they believe in living their religion and not preaching it at people.

There are good churches and people who really follow Christ;s example in them. You just sometimes have to look for them.

Johnny

• Admin

I am an occasional attendee at MCC churches, and do honor their focus on the LGB inclusion in a Christian faith and their acceptance of T folks, but I agree with Bobbi that even in the ones I go to, the LGB is still puzzled by us but nevertheless will make us welcome.

My primary church is the Episcopal Church in my community, and I am becoming active at the Diocesan (Southern half of California area) level as well as just my local parish. The Episcopal Church as a national entity welcomes Trans* people at all levels of involvement from casual attendee up through the ordained offices at all levels. Not all parishes in all parts of the country are completely up to speed on working full time with a Trans* member or clergy-person but they are for the most part trying to come in line with the national church. The Church LGBT organization within the church maintains a listing of Welcoming and Accepting Parishes where members and clergy have taken special training in dealing with TLGB members. Its website is http://www.integrityusa.org/

I attend Fort Washington Collegiate Church which is part of the Reformed Church of America. The Collegiate churches have a long history of affirmation and acceptance of TGLBQI folks. A friend of mine attends Metropolitan Community Church here in NYC.

:)

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

I belong to an Independent Catholic church here in Sacramento, California. Many people don't know that there are LOTS of ways to be Catholic besides Roman Catholic, and that many Catholic churches that are non-Roman are quite liberal and affirming. My particular church is part of the United Catholic Church, which welcomes and celebrates all people and ordains men, women, married, divorced, parents, LGBT--the whole shebang. :thumbsup: I'm fortunate to have three wonderful priests--two gay men and a lesbian--and a straight female deacon who is beginning the process of ordination and will eventually be a fantastic priest. The Ecumenical Catholic Communion is also LGBT-affirming. If you're Catholic and looking for a fully inclusive option, try Googling "Independent Catholic" and the name of your city, or check the websites of the various non-Roman Catholic denominations. (Be aware that there are also Catholic but non-Roman churches that are NOT welcoming, but they're pretty easy to identify if you read their online info.)

There are also independent or loosely affiliated religious orders out there that are very liberal and affirming. In my own small order, the Ecumenical Order of Saints Francis and Clare, there are three gay men (one of whom has been very open about his cross-dressing), two straight women, and me--whatever I turn out to be ("lesbian" on the surface, but I identify more accurately as FT?).

Sometimes the smaller, harder-to-find churches/religious communities are the most wonderful ones for those of us who don't fit traditional binary-gendered roles. In non-urban areas, though, the safer bets are the United Church of Christ, many Episcopal, Presbyterian, and Lutheran (ELCA) churches, the RCA as Gennee mentioned above, and a growing number of United Methodist churches, especially those which are in the Reconciling MInistries network. My wife's UMC here in Sacramento just became officially Reconciling after a lengthy process of outreach and education both in and beyond the congregation.

Peace,

Cyd

• Admin

Cyd --

Thank you for mentioning the Ecumenical Catholic Church, since there are several parish's of that branch here in So. Calif. I am a semi-member of one, but am more active and regular in the Episcopal Church where I am out and open in a lay leadership and ministerial position.

Hi Vicky,

My small parish, Good Shepherd Independent Catholic Church, considered joining the ECC, but ultimately we decided the UCC was a better fit for us as a parish. If we were larger (and thus had more people to serve on boards & committees), I think the ECC would have worked well. I'm glad to hear there are multiple ECC communities thriving in the south state--it's so great to have choices! :)

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Bobbi,

"I feel welcome and accepted and find it a very affirming environment." :wub:

I am very happy for you.

I presently do not attend any religious places of worship.

I did have to teach them a little about us here in my home town”,

I want to post this very helpful Workbook, written by the MCC Transgender ministries.

Coming Out as a Transgender Person: A Workbook

http://mccchurch.org/?wpfb_dl=366

You may want to share it with the MCC Church in your city.

It might be helpful to them if other transgender people need some assistance.

I wish you Success and Happiness in your Journey. :wub:

Hugs,

Carla

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Cyd,

You are very welcome.

I often post it for people thinking about Coming-Out.

It gives good advice, and also points out some of the consequences.

Another very good FREE publication is:

PFLAG Publications Be Yourself Q &A for LGBT Youth (Rev. 2014)

Be Yourself: Questions and Answers for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth. A fresh new update to one of PFLAG's most popular publications! Revised in 2014, this publication offers a supportive and understanding approach to today's most common questions and concerns from youth regarding sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. With youth coming out--and disclosing--at younger and younger ages, BE YOURSELF has never been more important. The publication also includes an up-to-date list of resources, including hotline numbers, other organizations, and more. (PDF)

The whole publication is helpful, but the section about Gender Exptression starting on page 13, and the section about Coming-Out starting on page 21 is extremely helpful.

I wish you Success and Happiness with your Journey. :wub:

Hugs,

Carla