• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Makeup color choices

mara13

I was wondering if there was a general rule for choosing ones colors, like; if you have a light complexion use this color, for dark hair that color, if your eyes are green blue brown etc.? If so, Where can I find the info? I try looking it up, but never find anything actually related, just a bunch of adds or "pick what's right for you.", I remember back in the day, my mom used to work for Mary Kay, and would give "Parties" for this, and she would determine your "season", I sat in as a guinea pig once for her, and am an autumn.

• Admin

When I was first starting my make-up experiments (many of which created really freakish looks) I bought colors and products that were "by the rules" as I could find them, and only about 10% of those things ever looked right on me.

Foundation - that should be close to your natural skin tone, and the best place to find it is by matching the inside of your lower arm, unless you have a heavy tan on it. and not your face.

If that is you in your avatar, I would avoid midnight black for eyeliner or eyebrow color, but it would be OK on your lashes. Eyebrow color should match the hair you will have on (your hair or a wig). Still be careful of dark black though. For the eye-shadow go with variations on your skin tone up or down a couple of shades and use two colors one darker than the other.

This link here is to a picture in my gallery showing me without makeup http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?app=galleryℑ=5896, and the one right after it shows me with makeup on. The second photo is the result of about 10 years of experimenting, and in it I was using a dark blonde eyebrow gel color, my eye liner was a topaz, and my eye shadow was just some progressively darker brown shades on lid and under-brow areas. The blush was a rose color.

The point I am headed for is that each of us is going to do better with our own colors, and you have to choose yours, there is no Anarchist's Cookbook for makeup that will turn everyone of us into bombshells. Go into three make up stores, and have each one do an analysis of you, and except for the foundation, all three will be wildly different, and all will look good on you.

Thanks Vicky, I only ask because (as I mentioned) my mom was in Mary Kay back in the day, and I was found to be an Autumn, which meant (at that time) that I should stick to Earth tones, and I was hoping that there was still something like this around to provide a guideline. I know to steer clear of bright pinks (even though I LOVE pink) and greens, they just look to gaudy on me.

Oh, and, yes that is me in the avie! With a wig, my real hair is more of a very dark brown, almost black.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Well you can still find online resources by searching "best (makeup product) for (facial feature)". Like you can easily find what color eyeshadow are best for brown/green/blue/hazel eyes. You can also look up best hairstyles for round/square/oval face shapes and usually there's a link on one of those pages to help you figure out what your face shape is. (just using that as an example)

I'm almost positive you can search "best foundation for medium skin" and just start nosing around websites to find out what your skin tone is and how to figure that out, what kind of skin you have (dry, oily, combination), what colors would look best on you, what colors to avoid, etc..etc..

There's no one-stop shopping for information, you may have to dig around a few websites and pick up a little information here, a little information there, a helpful tip at another one, etc. and then combine it all together

Guest Sarah Faith

Well I experiment quite a bit with make up at this point, and there are lots of resources online for ideas. I also have friends I can draw from for ideas. I have friends who say your makeup colors should compliment your outfit, which I do from time to time. I have also decided to just go with colors that makes the green in my hazel eyes pop, so I just use google to get some ideas to use.

For the most part I just experiment and see what I like, and that is kind of how I've approached it since I went full time. I am very pale, and I like it that way so I avoid too much sun exposure and use lots and lots of SPF.. So my makeup knowledge is really based around complementing my complexion and I do have a basic look I will run with most days and it is actually very minimalist in colors. It tends to just be my foundation, liquid eyeliner with thin lines inside leading to thicker lines outside, a light shade of blush to complement my pale skin not make me look like I have a fever, and a lipstick of whatever shade would complement o my overall look best that day..

So you can really get by with minimal color especially if you are pale. :)

I was in the Doctor's office waiting for my turn. I picked up People StyleWatch and found a lot of great things. Then I looked at the date. April 2014. Wow it's not the usual magazine December 1999. Cool. This Doctor is hip to women! So in the check-out line buying groceries I grabbed a copy for my very own. It has a display until April 11 if you are interested. Finally something useful on the gimme racks, instead of the scandal rag lies about who shot John at the Embarkadaro. (Why yes, I am an old Vertigo Alfred Hitchcock lover.) Giggle.

They have cool articles about lips, eyes and make-up in general. It was way worth my five bucks. Your mileage may vary. *Shrug* Hug. JodyAnn

• 2 months later...
Guest Danielle J

Mary Kay has a virtual makeover website that you can post your picture on and try different colors and combinations on

• 9 months later...