• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Review: Under the Skin

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Let me start off by saying that I won't be giving any spoilers here.

The movie involves a woman (Scarlet Johanssen) who lures young Scottish men to a dark place where they meet a mysterious and unexplained end. She is assisted by an unnamed man on a fast motorcycle, who spends most of the movie searching for her in the (beautiful) Scottish countryside. But it is not a police procedural, as the woman appears to be an alien (that's clear from the movie previews, so I'm not giving anything away).

But this is not like any science fiction I've ever seen, and I'm not even sure I would place it in that category. It is a bit of a horror film, a bit of a film noir a bit of a mystery/thriller. There is almost no dialogue, and that plus the tone and opaqueness of the plot will be off-putting to many. In my showing, a couple walked out after 15 minutes.

Don't walk out. The movie grows on you, as the nature of Scarlet's character changes, and she starts gaining your empathy. There is one scene where the lead ponders an ant crawling on the tip of her finger. Does she have any more empathy towards humans than she does the ant, or is she simply curious about both? There is also a chance meeting with a disfigured young man, which becomes the turning point in the film.

There is nudity (it is R rated) but it is not of the gratuitous "Games of Thrones" variety. The ending will leave you wondering, as it is clearly intended to do. Mostly, it will leave you haunted, and thinking, and considering what being human is all about, and whether being human is all a matter of skin, or what is underneath it.

Carolyn gives "Under the Skin" a 9 out of 10.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Kaylee

I actually saw this over the weekend myself, and while some of Carolyn insights are accurate.. I left feeling disappointed. Every time I felt that is about to get more interesting, it turned out to be a little tease! I recognized how it would end (for the most part) early...and had they added 30 seconds of footage to the end, I may have enjoyed it a little more.

I find that I dislike movies that have no reason... much like the movie "Signs".... where there was no reason for the aliens... why they came, left... or what they wanted. M. Night Shamalan. .. seems to stick with that too much!

Kaylee