• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How to start loosing weight

Guest Berry Picker

Guest Berry Picker

Currently I weigh 240, and I am 6.0-6.1 feet tall. As I will be starting hormones soon, I want to try to start a way to lose weight. I mean it is going to be very hard to try and pass with my current body shape, although I am curvy which I like and it makes me feel more feminine. I am very busy with the end of my high school career, and I have no time for exercise until the summer. I am just wondering how should I try and change my diet, exercises I should try out in the begining etc, and what motivates you guys.

Love,

Nicki

Guest Nicodeme

Things like oatmeal or fruit for breakfast (low calorie but filling) and just finding excuses to walk are a good start. I don't get any exercise beyond what I do for work (I walk dogs) but I still feel that helps. Granted, I walk those dogs FAR, and up hills both ways. I don't know if you're inclined to put on muscle being pre-E, but that apparently helps you burn more calories even if you're not doing much of anything.

Pinterest is a good place to look for recipes to low-calorie meals that will still help you feel full. Whatever you do, don't resort to the "military diet" crap that gets posted on there from time to time. That's not a diet. It's a fast and it's extremely dangerous.

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Berry Picker,

I can relate to you, when I was Coming-Out, I weighted 265 lbs. When I contacted my surgeon they stated that I needed to weigh less than 200 bs. This was my motivation.

I would recommend that you contact your medical provider and ask if you can see a dietician for advice about how to safely lose weight. Slowly is usually better, and the best way without exercise is to reduce your food intake, and stop eating junk food, snacks and frozen foods.

The only exercise that I did was walking whenever possible.

You may also be interested in “Families in Transition-A Resource Guide for Parents of Trans Youth.”

http://www.ctys.org/sites/default/files/familiesintransition-a_resource_guide_for_parents-080608.pdf

and

Youth-specific Drop-ins

Trans-Specific

Trans Youth Drop-in

Three Bridges Community Health Centre, 1292 Hornby Street (Hornby & Drake), Vancouver
Tel: c/o Transgender Health Program, 604-734-1514
Email: [email protected]

• Drop-in for trans youth, friends, partners, family members, and anyone else who is under 23 and trans-positive. All genders welcome.
  • First Monday of the month (except stat holidays), 6:30-8:30 PM.
  • Bus tickets and child care subsidy are available upon request.

I am looking forward to reading about your weight lose. :)

I hope that I have been of some help to you.

I wish you Success and Happiness in Life and with your future HRT and Transition.

Hugs,

Carla

I do not know if you are aware of the “Transgender Health Information Programhttp://transhealth.vch.ca/

The Transgender Health Information Program is a resource hub that provides information to anyone in BC with a transgender health question.

We provide information directly to individuals via group format, email, phone, and in person. We also provide health care professionals with information to help them support their clients and connect health professional with colleagues who specialize part of their practice in transgender health care to build capacity in local communities.

Our services are free, anonymous, confidential. We welcome all transgender-health related questions and concerns from individuals, families and others. Doctor’s referral, Care Card and/or ID not required

I would recommend getting in touch with them and ask to see a Dietician.

VCH Trans* Speciality Care
Vancouver Coastal Health offers knowledgeable, gender-affirming and specialized care to transgender and gender diverse persons who reside within the Vancouver Coastal Health Region through VCH Trans* Speciality Care clinics.
Services include hormone readiness assessment, endocrine (hormone) therapy, hormone injecting supplies, referral for surgical readiness assessment, pre-operative information and education, post-operative wound care, and limited counselling. Service is free and provided by multidisciplinary teams including nurses, counsellors, physicians, nurse practitioners and social workers.
Two VCH primary care sites offer Trans* Speciality Care including the Three Bridges Community Health Centre and VCH Raven Song Community Health Centre. No referral is required. To book an appointment contact the intake nurse at 604-633-4248. The nurse will identify the clinic that is able to see you and provide you with a date and time for an initial consultation appointment.

· Click here for more information

Changing Keys
Changing Keys is voice training program designed to help individuals who are transitioning - or who have transitioned - and are living full-time as women. It is group and one-on-one work led by a certified speech-language pathologist with extensive experience in speech and voice training. The program is generously sponsored by the Transgender Health Information Program and is available free to participants.
Contact us for more information at 604-734-1514 ext. 2 or [email protected]

· Click here for the application form

· Click here for more information about the

You may also be interested in this Trans Youth Group.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Guest LesleyAnne

I use livestrong.com

it's free, has calorie info, suggested calorie intake to reach a sensible goal loss per week.

Great nutritional info even for fast foods.

Guest Brenda Hailey

Health and transition are huge motivating factors. About a Year and a half ago I weighed 250 pounds when I should weigh 160 170, I am currently at 190 and still dropping.

In that time the absolute biggest contributor to losing that weight was portion control and cutting out the absolute worst foods all together.

Fast food was out and food like Salami Pizza and other fatty food ,and Soda as well.

By just cutting in half every meal and not using process sugar the pounds started falling off, adding more salad fruits and nuts helped alot.

I experimented with eating little portions of those "bad" foods every once in a while and noticed I could still keep the pounds off if I did not eat them very often and not to much them at any given time.

So for me at least it was all about the portions I was eating, while being depressed and not caring about myself I would just eat away as there was nothing else to do.

Currently I have added riding a bike to my daily life and have never felt better, I notice though the closer I get to my goal weight the harder it becomes to lose the pounds but they are still going away. I do give myself a couple days a month where I go wild on food and eat more than I know I should just as a treat,but usually regret it later knowing I have to work harder to get it back off.

As a result my health has never been better all my "numbers" as far as the doctor is concerned are great and within the good range of starting an HRT regiment ,as safe as it can be.

There is alot you can do even if you dont have time to exercise by just eating less,and eating healthier.

Guest Ky_Ki

Look up a basal metabolic rate calculator (there's a bunch) to get a rough idea of how many calories you burn daily without doing anything (at 200+ lbs it's a lot!). A pound is approximately 3500 calories.

Basically you want your basal rate plus any excercise you do minus the food you eat to still equal a positive number. If you can get the daily number (the deficit as it's usually called cause peopleusually do the math in reverse) to equal 500 then you'll loose a pound a week. 1000 - two pounds.

The more of this deficit you create with excercise the better. There are plenty of websites and apps that will show you the calorie info for all sorts of food and excercise. Look up EVERYTHING when you're first starting. There are so many foods that have shocking numbers of calories. I'd suggest walking briskly as excercise as it's great for you yet (at least for me) not nearly the chore that most other forms of excercise are. Roughly one mile is 100 calories. Look for the quick and easy ways to cut out calorie to kickstart your loss. If you're not on any sort of health concious eating plan yet there are probably a few - things you find yourself doing but aren't necessarily attached to. For me it was soda. I'd always get coke at restaurants and I naturally drink a lot of fluid with any meal and eat at restaurants about twice a week. Switching to water was difficult at first but it's a habit that's stayed and saves me at least 1200 calories a week. Small things can add up. I was never a sodaholic (like my mom - who would feel like she was being asked to sacrifice a child if you asked her to give up coke) it was just a routine I got myself in and I didn't miss it. Find these things in your own life - there are probably one or two. They're not magic bullets but can be the thing that tips the balance.

As you loose weight the amount of calories you burn naturally as well as through excercise will decrease. The reason I suggest creating the deficit through excercise as much as possible as by limiting food alone you exacerbate this problem as your body becomes increasingly good at functioning with fewer calories.

Don't deprive yourself completely of your favorite foods. You will drive yourself insane. Figure out a way to budget for them. If you can be satisfied by just a bite or two do it that way. Kind of person that needs to eat a pint if ice cream? Save up the calories and then indulge. This is easier said than done.

I know it can be frustrating but you really don't want to loose any more than two lbs a week. It's not terribly great for your health and you'll suffer greater loose skin problems.

Speaking of which if you're planning on loosing more than 50lbs or so unless you are lucky (and I don't say this to be discouraging - just so you know what to expect) you are going to end up with loose skin. You will NOT look like all the thin people you know or have seen even if you weigh less, have more muscle, etc. You WILL be much healthier, and with clothes will likely look fine (actually BETTER than fine), but just know that a taught flat tummy, butt, arms, chest are likely not in the cards. (Some might be but you can't pick and choose). Look up post weight loss/bariatric body contouring to see pictures of what your body is likely to resemble (to a lesser degree - often these pictures are from people that weighed 350+) Depending on how much it bothers you (or if it does at all) there are surgies out there to remove the excess fat and skin. People with gastric bypass routinely have the procedures done. It's completely ok to want this and is not cheating. Weight loss is a very difficult and fickle thing and nothing will discount that accomplishment. Knowing this would have saved me years of struggle after my weight loss with body image, binge eating, and weight gain feeling that all my effort was for naught. I still am struggling. PLEASE don't fall into that same trap.

Also on that note: don't get too discouraged if you mess up. You're going to mess up. A lot. There are going to be days where you want x so bad you can't stand it or that you just don't feel like excercising and you succumb. This is normal and ok. Just dust yourself off and start anew tomorrow. Don't fall into the " well I already messed up - one more day of x won't hurt" trap. That will turn into two weeks and 10 pounds before you know it.

You can do it! The best time to start is now. Best of luck to you on your journey!

Guest ashleynikole

FWIW...if you have a sweet tooth for soda (pop for my northern friends) and don't like to drink water (or even if you do), try the Sobe Lifewater. They make ones that are 0 calories because it's basically water and other things like carrot juice or blackberry juice. They're really cheap at places like Wal-Mart and just as tasty as a can of your favorite carbonated beverage. I like them a lot and I HATE drinking water with a passion.

• Admin

As one who is on a medically supervised diet right now, the big thing that is helping me is simply plan meals, and eat as planned. My diet is 1800 calories / day at 230 and 5'10". I specifically asked about my hormone effects on the number of calories for intake, and got told that it is weight and height that control. If I were 5 inches shorter, then the calories would be less. The big idea is that too few calories in the early stages will end up with food cravings that are diet busters. Plan what you eat in a healthy range, and eat what you plan on a regular basis. I am down to about 5 meals eaten out per week from 20 that I had been eating in restaurants. While not a huge weight drop yet, I am not feeling starved and my blood sugar (which prompted the diet) is already in a much better range. Three main meals at 500 calories each (but trade offs allowed) and two or three snacks that equal 300 calories (one at bed time) and I hit my 1800, but I can average that out over a couple of days too.

Now if our weather would get into bearable ranges, I could get back to my walking routine. When it gets to a nice temperature for walking at 10pm, this girl is not to eager to go out by herself!! I suppose I could join a gym and use a treadmill, but the mental aspect of no changing scenery that way is a bummer.

It is indeed a losing proposition.

Guest Uppertuck

I haven't read the suggestions other people have posted so this may be a bit of reiterated information, but here is my advice.

1. I hate to say it, but for me, counting calories with an app on my phone has proved to work best when it comes to losing weight. It can be hard to stick to, but just remember your goal in the end. Also make sure you aren't in too much of a calorie deficit.

2. Eat six small meals throughout the day, that way your metabolism keeps working all day.

3. I don't eat meat and I know that that probably has only been in my favor when it comes to losing fat.

4. When eating your six meals, eat the biggest meal for breakfast and then have them get continuously smaller throughout the day. Breakfast like a king.

An example for you (I am not dieting though, I am trying to gain muscle right now, but I will still share anyway because maybe it will help) For breakfast I had oatmeal (which is great for losing weight) with apple chunks in it and cinnamon (cinnamon boosts your metabolism), a pretzel roll with fresh spinach and one scrambled egg on it, a french press of black coffee (if you drink coffee daily like I do, you should try to start drinking it black and skip out on the sugar and fat from creamer), and a glass of water with lemon and basil. I know that sounds like a super time consuming breakfast but it wasn't. Then before lunch I had a protein shake (post gym), then for lunch I had a hard boiled egg and a piece of toast with avocado. After lunch I had a bit of brown rice with some broccoli and peas, etc. Just try to have small things throughout the day. I am in college, but in high school you can just bring a morning snack like a cliff bar or something and then maybe pack your lunch I don't know how great your school is when it comes to food.

5. I also don't know where you live, but if you can, come summer ride your bike everywhere. It might be a pain in the donkey but you will thank yourself later, it can be great cardio.

6. Always take the stairs and park extra far away from the store so you have to walk more, small stuff like that can add up.

7. Try to eat as little processed foods as possible. Seriously. This will make you lose weight the fastest, and it will suck but it is worth it. You will feel way better too.

8. Drink a lot of water. Carry a water bottle around all day at school if you don't already. Don't drink pop. I don't drink milk. I only drink water, almond milk, and organic protein powder shakes.

9. Since you haven't done hormones, you shouldn't really lift weights I am assuming, but I don't really know. If I were you I would do cardio five times a week and then do a full body workout without weights every other day. So do stuff like squats, bridges, crunches, V-ups, push-ups (maybe not too many though), etc. Try yoga too, it is great.

10. Jumprope is a great cardio workout. Try watching youtube cardio videos and following them. Play sports with your friends if you like sports. Tennis is good for cardio.

11. If you have a tumblr you should follow some fitness blogs, they can be really motivating.

What motivates me is I look at pictures of guys with bodies I wish I had when I don't feel like working out. Also my girlfriend is super fit and that motivates me.

Sorry this post is really long, but I enjoy talking about fitness stuff, if you need help with anything else or have any other questions you can message me! Good luck!

Guest Berry Picker

Thanks for all of your input! I am too lazy/busy to ask any of the follow-up questions that I am thinking about. However I will definitely try the oatmeal in the morning which did help me loose soon weight around last year.

Guest Megan_Lynn

I am very unlucky when it comes to weight loss. I only drink water or tea ( no sugar) keep my calories well under 1k every day for the most part. Get moderate exercise ( heavy exercise is very painful for me). but can not seem to drop a single lb at all. After starting HRT the lbs just started packing on at an alarming rate. am at 290 lbs and 5'11" right now and was like 210 when I started HRT. My diet is very limited as I have to watch what I eat from very bad acid reflux . most greens hate me with a Passion and cause horrendous heartburn. Broccoli, cucumbers, lettuce (all types) celery,green peppers, spinach, kayle all cause me server acid. Can eat super hot wings with zero acid issue but let me eat greens and all hell breaks loose. most fruit juices and fruits will light me up as well, apple juice, orange juice and oranges, pineapples and the juice, lemons, limes ect not a good idea. Oh my carb intake is super minimal no cookies cake , pie, candy also gave up almost all whites entirely. No rice( rarely brown rice), breads, cereals, potatoes, pastas( once in a while but rare). My diet consists of carrots, peas, lima beans,most other beans except green beans,oatmeal, banana ( rare), Eggs,lean meats chicken and fish all cooked mostly by steaming them. this diet and calorie count keeps me in same weight range day in and day out no gain no lose. My doctor and endo can not understand why I can not drop and weight. Have had many tests done and numbers always come up normal. Am starting to think I will always be fat. Not sure what else i can do that am not already doing.

Guest Berry Picker

Oh wow Megan that really sucks. I know my aunt has the same issue with weight loss, we are not biologically related though.

• 7 months later...
Guest AllisonRae

I guess the weight thing is frustrating to us all. I am fairly careful with what I eat, decent with portions and pretty active. I am 6' 255lbs and want to drop to below 200. I started walking again a month ago when I quit smoking. I usually do 1/2 hr a day 4 to 6 days a week. After a month my weight hasn't moved! Feeling very frustrated. Last time I lost, it came off like nobodies business. Feeling very frustrated.

Allison