• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Arcade Fire "We Exist" Video

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I just watched this music video for the Arcade Fire song "We Exist." It stars Andrew Garfield ("Spiderman") as a transwoman. I think opinions will vary, but I thought it was very sensitively done, artistic, and I liked the music as well.

I can't provide a link due to some content issues, but I'm certain you can find it on Youtube. I'd like to know what you think if you view it.

Carolyn Marie

Guest KimberlyF

Slightly over the top and I don't get it. But then I don't get all of the messages from these videos.

Is this person killed, and then goes through this tunnel that many have described and comes out the other side as some kind of angel or something dressed in white? Do the people that did the beating all have their own gender issues? Do I read too much into these things?

From some criticism I've heard, the song is supposed to be about a gay man coming out to his dad? I can see that being a legit issue more than who was the star.

The message 'We Exist' is not bad. I wish they had it closed captioned because it's not my kinda music and I know there were words there, right?

• Admin

I am glad you have mentioned this Carolyn, another one of our members had asked me in a PM about posting the link, and I had had to mention the rules issues there. I actually saw it on another web site this morning and I agree with Jennifer that it could be triggering, since it does show a mock assault of the "Trans* girl". Like Kim though, I wish I could have caught the actual words to the song, but I did get the meaning. I see where some of the symbolism in the wardrobe change can suggest things that without hearing the words could be problem. It was however sensitive and positive about our reality and our ability to bounce back in life.

• Admin

Thank you Carolyn, I have some construction work in the backyard going on and did not search for those myself, but I see the connections now to some of the video.

Guest sydney

I was going to post this, my supportive brother posted it on my Facebook page this morning with the following quote:

Saw this video and thought about you, even though its slightly different. Just wanted to say I love ya sis.

I second the trigger warning in the beginning, but it turns positive fairly quickly.

Guest Jennifer T

I was going to post this, my supportive brother posted it on my Facebook page this morning with the following quote:

Saw this video and thought about you, even though its slightly different. Just wanted to say I love ya sis.

I second the trigger warning in the beginning, but it turns positive fairly quickly.

You've a pretty cool brother!

Guest Sarah Faith

Saw this a few days ago when girlfriend was watching it, and I gotta say that nothing about it really impressed me.