• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Not sure if intersexed or what I have

Guest NeedMyJava

Guest NeedMyJava

My mom recently found out she has cancer and decided to tell me, that I was born intersexed, other than this she doesn't want to talk about it. This has also come up with doctors, who have found that I have male diagnosis, even urologists, abnormal hormone profiles, differences in anatomy etc. Also, doctors had to give me hormones, a combo of some sort, to ensure I continued developing as a female, absence of a monthly cycle, until I was given hormones. This concern over my gender goes throughout my life, as I remember as a child, it being discussed and concerns to be on the alert for as I got older. Im short, not tall, and look fairly female, given all the hormones over the years, however Im kind of frustrated in that no one is very open with me about this.

No one has bothered to tell me what it is that they are treating, I just get you will get cancer, or you wont develop correctly if you dont take hormones, or you need surgery. So, I am frustrated, I feel like Im getting half the information, the what we will do for you, but not the what you have part, which means every doctor I visit this is a new discovery for them.

So, if Im intersexed, why aren't the doctors just telling me?? and if not, tell me that?? just seems it gets avoided

• Admin

Without knowing your age, it is difficult to say much. Certainly when you become a legal adult, then you will be entitled to have and know your records and medical history. Some states have an Ombudsman attached to their State Board Of Medical Quality Assurance (as its called in my state) who can help contact your doctors when the time comes. You will probably have to give multiple release and collaboration consents, but it could do the job. I suspect the biggest reason is your parent's requests to the doctors are standing in your way, and TIME will cure that.

Guest NeedMyJava

Im an adult, but the doctors have been more of a lets not go there attitude, and most of the early doctors probably aren't in practice anymore. If they do say something, it's never upfront, it's more evasive. Often times, I just get a quick comment explaining something, with a quick moving on thing. One surgeon said, "Im only dealing with the health issues, not addressing your male traits," Ive been raised female. Before I could ask anything, the convo had moved on and was over. as in they walked out of the room.

This has been frustrating, as it has left me with a lot of questions.

• Forum Moderator

Excuse me bubba, you say as you grab them by their jock strap and pull them back into the room. I asked you some questions and I demand some truthful answers. It's my life- not yours and I''m paying the bill.

I would nnever tolerate any doctor that treated me like I was an idiot and didn't have a right to know about my own body.

• Admin

If you are an adult, what they are doing should be reported to the State Medical Board in detail. It may not be actual malpractice, but it is in violation of medical ethics which could get them some unpaid vacation time and a hefty fine on top. The state board is entitled to review their records and often has subpoena powers. Getting an attorney to contact their malpractice insurance carrier is another way to go, or having your insurance company who is paying them demanding the records would work too.

One thing I suspect though is that the guy has NO IDEA of what is going on with you, and is scared to admit he does not know something. M.D.'s and certain other professions who cannot fess up to ignorance can be the most infuriating garden slugs around.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sarah1967

Try an get a CT Scan or a MRI done and it will tell you are or not , I had a CT Scan done back in 2011 and the doc said I was an I had another CT Scan April 29th of this year an they gave me a copy on CD an I have a wide pelvis with a female pubic arch an I have female parts an I know that i'm intersex by that an I'm okay with being intersex ..