• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trying to gain weight

Guest ~Sara~

Guest ~Sara~

Hi! it's been a while since i visited the forum, i was quite busy at school, but i'm back! anyway, i want to know what to do to gain some weight, i'm stuck at 65Kg and i'm 1.8m tall and i honestly don't know what to do, i eat lots of bread, and fatty things, but i just don't gain weight, i've had medical exams done and they say everything is fine but i am just on the edge of underweight in the charts, doctor said it was my metabolism working very fast, and blood tests all indicate normal levels of everything, no desnutrition or anything alike, so i am not sick, and well, i eat a lot of everything actually, not just bread, but i dont gain weight!. it all may be normal medically, but i look really thin, is there any way to gain some weight? i've read that hormones influence metabolism, so when i star on estrogen, may i be able to gain some weight? i mean, i don't want to be super fat, just like gain 2 or 3 Kilos so i won't be so on the underweight edge, i am actually afraid that if i skip a couple of meals i will loose weight because of the thing with my metabolism and now become sick because of underweight. sorry for not really knowing how to use underweight, never used that word before!

what sould i do?

thanks!!

• Admin

About the only thing that comes to my mind, is to work with your doctors, and if they say you are healthy, believe them!! If you can, bring your worries up with your therapist, the worries are going to do more damage than the low weight, and in fact may be causing some of the problem. Weird, but it can happen.

• Forum Moderator

I agree with Vicky. If your doctors say you are healthy please do not be concerned. So many would love to be a bit small rather than overweight. Also to answer your question E does often cause a bit of weight gain but it really depends on your level of activity. As we loose a bit of muscle mass we burn fewer calories. I have found myself eating less but it may also be because i'm getting a bit older. Try to relax and enjoy your body as it is for now.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest ~Sara~

Hi! thank you both for the replies. So i am thinking now about seeing a nutritionist and ask for a diet that could increase my weight just a tad, but also thinking about what E can do when i start on it, so should i wait to visit the nutritionist once i start on estrogen, or should i go now? i know that by being healthy and that is not the best to try to change it, but i can still be healthy at 68 or 69 Kg and that extra weight could help rounding angles in my body shape, that's what i would like.

• Admin

My recent visit to a nutritionist / dietitian gave me the information that it really does not matter about the hormones as to how much you should eat or procedures to gain or lose weight. (In my case lose). It is where you are at as far as current weight and body height and some bone issues, and where you Medically need to go. In my case to drop pounds and keep my blood glucose and blood pressure under control. All of those are separate considerations. Unless a doctor has prescribed a weight management program and goal though, the best they can do is give very general information. I still think you need to schedule some time to discuss your weight anxiety with a counselor so you do not set yourself up for failure. Go to the nutritionist before HRT if you can schedule it, but be up front with what you want to do.

Guest ~Sara~

Oh, thanks for the information Vicky, i will consider an appointment then, not so sure about the counselor part since i have yet to find one that i can freely talk to about what's on my mind, it's like no one in this country knows what to do but basically tell me i'm crazy or going through a phase... i think i can talk to the doctor about my weight and see what she thinks i should do without getting to the other topics just yet. I say consider because all those medical things make me feel quite uncomfortable to be honest, and it might take me some time to actually do it.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same problem. When I checked my weight yesterday it was only showing 50 kg. I am 1.80 m tall (BMI 15.6), so I have strong underweight. I have always been like this and whatever I do - I cannot get any weight. I believe with 65 kg you're in a good spot. No need to worry about your health. You're perfectly fine. I'd be so happy if I only had 5 kg more.

• Forum Moderator

Sara, I am similar to you in height and weight and I had never been able to put weight on. Now that I'm older (60+) I do have to eat carefully as I can easily add a few pounds to my waist which is not desirable. If you eat reasonably and exercise you might gain some weight (muscle weighs more than fat) but individual results may vary. Just focus on being healthy. That's what will get you through life and keep you young looking and flexible as you age.

Cheers,

Jani

• 3 weeks later...
Guest saoirse

Hi! it's been a while since i visited the forum, i was quite busy at school, but i'm back! anyway, i want to know what to do to gain some weight, i'm stuck at 65Kg and i'm 1.8m tall and i honestly don't know what to do, i eat lots of bread, and fatty things, but i just don't gain weight, i've had medical exams done and they say everything is fine but i am just on the edge of underweight in the charts, doctor said it was my metabolism working very fast, and blood tests all indicate normal levels of everything, no desnutrition or anything alike, so i am not sick, and well, i eat a lot of everything actually, not just bread, but i dont gain weight!. it all may be normal medically, but i look really thin, is there any way to gain some weight? i've read that hormones influence metabolism, so when i star on estrogen, may i be able to gain some weight? i mean, i don't want to be super fat, just like gain 2 or 3 Kilos so i won't be so on the underweight edge, i am actually afraid that if i skip a couple of meals i will loose weight because of the thing with my metabolism and now become sick because of underweight. sorry for not really knowing how to use underweight, never used that word before!

what sould i do?

thanks!!

hi , i am 1.87 m and 64kg so i know how it feels. i was as low as 55kgs at one stage and i have to take supplement milkshakes daily to try maintain weight. it still does not come easy. my problem apart from tummy issues is that i tend to forget to eat or i work long hours before stopping to eat . ive seen several professionals about trying to gain weight but they were of little help as they advised fatty foods and plenty of cakes etc etc but my tummy does not like such foods . if there was one food that i thought does help a bit its peanut butter .in fact a lot of nuts are advised to be good for weight gain .if you do not have nut allergies they might help you .

regards

Tara