• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Electrolysis and Laser

Guest April63

Guest April63

First, I'm sorry for bringing up this topic again. It seems like someone keeps bringing it up, but I have a little twist to it. Basically, I'll e moving in about a month, so is it even worth starting anything?

Originally, I planned to get in two to three laser visits before moving to help reduce the hair growth. I have a mix of blondish, reddish, and brownish hairs. Over all, I think the hairs are more brown than anything, but it looks like there are a few blonde ones and a few in between. I've now procrastinated and haven't done anything. It may be too late to get anything done before I move, but maybe not? Would it make sense to go for consultations with an electrologist and a laser... lasergist? (I think it's laser technician actually) to get some ideas before I go? Or should I just wait until I move and can then spend the required time for the removal?

I guess the final question is, is it worth doing a few laser treatmnets before electrolysis? There seems to be a lot of uncertainty and debate on this point. The electrolysis clinics all say the laser is only good for reduction (and it might not work too well on my hair; I'm not sure) and is very expensive. However, if you only have a session once a month, I would think it should be cheaper. On one website I saw it say that only 30 to 60 percent of hairs are removed during each laser appointment, but then on another, the electrologist said that her method removes 30 to 40 percent on each visit. So how is that better?

April

Guest LizMarie

There are conflicting claims but the FDA only certifies electrolysis as "permanent hair removal". Laser, in none of its variants, carries that label. Laser is always "hair reduction". It's a subtle difference but it does express the fact that electrolysis works, always, whereas laser may or may not depending on a whole host of variable factors.

My recommendation to anyone is that if you think you can get benefit from laser, give it a shot. But be prepared to go with electrolysis if it doesn't work or if it leaves light colored hairs behind. The only exception to that recommendation is that if someone is tight on cash, I recommend going straight to electrolysis because it will work, though it may take a while to complete.

Guest April63

I know the FDA only certifies electrolysis for hair removal, but I don't believe that the government is always right on everything. I'm just wondering if it would be worth a few visits.

LizMarie, you say I should go straight to electrolysis if I'm short on cash. How much more do you think it would cost to start with laser?

April

Guest LizMarie

Here's the thing, April. You have already clearly indicated that you are not one of the "ideal" laser candidates with the description of your facial hair. Consequently, there is a chance (fairly large) that it might not work at all.

Now depending on how much your laser place is charging you that may or may not be a lot to find out. But let's say $300 per visit and it takes you 3 visits. For $1000 (less now) I can do a full facial clearing of one entire growth cycle at my electrolysis provider in one day. Since hair grows in cycles, killing one won't remove the hair on your face, you're going to have to go again and again, regardless of which method you choose. So how much would you spend on laser before you figure out that it's not doing anything? That's all money that could have gone towards electrolysis.

I know one transwoman who spent several thousand dollars on laser and ended up going for electrolysis anyway to finish clearing everything.

If you are an excellent candidate (dark hair, fair skin), laser can wonders for you. It you are not a good candidate, it becomes much more variable and none of us can say how well or poorly it will work for you. All we can do is give examples.

Maybe it will work fine for you. But from the way you describe your facial hair, if I were you, I'd go straight to electrolysis. That's me, not you. You need to make your own decision.

Guest ashleynikole

My 2 cents: I started with laser because I wanted reduction so shaving would be easier. I didn't even have them do my goatee area. Then about 3 months in (3 sessions) I asked them to go ahead and do all of it because I knew I was going to do some form of transition (didn't know how much at the time). I have a bit of blonde and gray hairs but I had probably 70% dark hairs on fair skin so I got a lot of value out of my laser sessions. However, I still had to do electrolysis for the gray and blonde hairs but my electrolysis has been amazingly quick and easy and unless I have a longer growth cycle, it's really not coming back much.

My laser was quoted at $690 for 8-9 sessions for my face (1x every 4 wks) and because I did some other work, I got 2 yr free spot treatment if the dark comes back and lifetime $10 sessions if the hairs come back. I paid less than $2300 for 8-9 laser sessions each on my face, back and chest. It's a crap shoot but I'd shop it around and see what you can find. My spa used a Class 4 IPL laser and it requires a medical doctor on staff in order to be used.

Do your homework and make an informed decision and you will most likely come away completely satisfied.

God bless

Ashley

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 117 Guests (See full list)

• Adrianna Danielle
    • AllieJ
    • April Marie
    • Betty K
    • MaryEllen
    • Petra Jane
    • Karen Carey
    • KathyLauren