• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Christian and Trans....

Guest Annutty

Guest Annutty

I've been a Christian since age 18 (7 years now), and now I recently have come to terms with my own transgenderedness (Is that even a word??)...I love both communities, but I feel like I have two sides of my family that are fighting...One is my Christian family, and the other is my transgender family. The Christians are fighting with themselves and the transgender part, saying its wrong and sinful, and the transgender part is calling the Chrisitans bigots and "religious extremists" and all sorts of other names....

Why can't everyone just get along D:

I really don't see the two as mutually exclusive....I feel like I'm a kid with parents who are divorcing >.<

They are not mutually exclusive. There are many transgender friendly churches. And there are members here who are very active in their own church. Still I agree with you, there are many Christians who use Christianity to justify their bigotry.

Jenny

Guest Kenna Dixon

I suspect that the willfully ignorant will be with us for quite a while longer. Some are only following the tenets of their religious faith and can't or won't look outside that narrow box they've chosen to live in. Others, of course, bear us ill will and stir up others of their ilk with their rabid bigotry.

When family is involved, one would hope that having a transgender loved one would put a face on the issue and diffuse the us-against-them attitudes that can be so divisive and destructive.

It's a shame that you have to be in the middle of the conflict. But it sounds as if you're handling it as well as you can.

Guest Laura Beth

I have been a Christian for many years and I have done many bible studies. Far too many people who call themselves Christian don't look at the true meaning of it. They attend church but once they are out they break the Commandments over and over again. Few stop to realize that we are following what God wants us to do because we are his tools to teach others of unconditional love and acceptance. Our situation as it is seen now is not something new but has been around for thousands of years.

Alberta Danielle

Guest princessofdarkness

Some Christians (and other religious folks) use religion to justify their transphobia, sure. Not all. A lot of people are 100% raging anti-religion, and are also transphobic. I'm a non-believer myself, but if someone's religion makes them a more loving, caring person, then I respect their faith.

It's a matter of individuals perspective. My father is very religious, and supports me. His initial struggles with it had nothing to do with religion, rather it just had to do with losing his son. That's just my experience.

I agree with you; why can't everyone just get along? *hugs*

Princess

• Forum Moderator

It is a pity that so many can only find compassion for those who are just like us. Christians are certainly not unique. The pity is that Christ spoke of love, acceptance and tolerance. The fortunate thing is that many sects of christianity are very open and loving. Pity your relatives don't go to those churches. It isn't your fault. so try to simply accept that you can't change their beliefs. Only they can do that.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Jennifer T

Annutty, seek the Lord with all your heart:

"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God"'

There are people on all sides who hate the other sides. I feel your pain. But you, YOU live an honest life and love as Christ loved and God will restore all things in His good time.

Peace to you this day. In Christ.

Guest Annutty

Thanks everyone for the replies

Annutty, seek the Lord with all your heart:

"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God"'

There are people on all sides who hate the other sides. I feel your pain. But you, YOU live an honest life and love as Christ loved and God will restore all things in His good time.

Peace to you this day. In Christ.

This is good to remember. Thank you.

In a way the trans community is as much persecuting of trans as the reverse.

Given the way some of the advocates act it isn't surprising the response by Christians becomes more negative towards trans.

Much of this, both ways, in my opinion, I just don't get involved. There are lots of us (often very quiet cause of how negative many trans are towards Christians) who have had no problem with Christians. Why is this? Perhaps it is because we maintain respect? Because we recognize the feelings or others, don't expect the whole world to revolve around us and basically remain decent human being rather than someone who is angry and makes demands of others.

My take, be positive, be a good person and be true to your faith yet do what you need to do for you and find the right balance. If you remain positive, demonstrate a positive improvement (verses a negative demanding sort) and the critics will go away.

God loves Diversity:

Look around our world. God has changed every creature over the millennium including humans. We once used our appendix, but now have no need for one. We went from creatures that walked on all fours to standing upright. God changed us many times over the thousands of years. We humans have changed since Jesus walked on the earth.

And God loves change. We are different from the majority. Yet we are okay in God's eyes. Jesus would love us just as much as he showed his love to those who were filled with guilt and hatred towards them selves. He showed his love to Mary Magdelin who was a women with a past, yet he forgave her sins and accepted her for who she was and she changed her life from a life of wickedness to one of serving God. She learned to accept herself and learned that she didn't need to hate herself, yet she learned to accept who she is. We need to learn to accept ourselves because God accept us. God loves our Diversity. Our differences.

Accept yourself as God does. He loves all Trans people. To be truly Christian, we need to accept who we are. There's nothing wrong with us. Kathy

I'm Christian, though probably not as "well-studied" (lack of better phrase) as some of the other members here. But I do seek truth in the bible and seek God through Christ. And this I learned in my years: God is love. Christianity is ALL about love, though few misguided sheep taint that. I recall something my old youth pastor said. "You cannot be truly Christian without having love in your heart. It's like being lukewarm." He then had us look at 1 Corinthians 13, where love's importance is made clear. When you feel all that turmoil in your heart and you begin to lose love for your brothers & sisters, take a sec to look at the famous part of the passage (13:4) and replace the word love with your name. Its a trip.

Do not let misguided Christians turn you away from the love The Lord want you to have and the life He wants for you. Love them, love yourself, love The Lord and know His love for you is CRAZY big. There's nothing sinful about your "transgenderedness" (I liked your word). I hope you find peace and a good church home. Where people make more sense than I do. Haha

PS.: God gives us signs, look for them when you're lost or confused. Sometimes, a good sign makes more sense than a pastor or passage.

Guest ashleynikole

I have been following Christ for 20+ years and I can't give you any better direction or scripture than anyone before me. They are truly seeking Christ in all they do and it shows in their words and deeds.

I know what it's like for you, even though it's not my family, but some old friends who think I've just gone off the deep end and am living in sin. They think my "sin" is causing my family to fall apart, but yet they don't read the book of Job. They think some sin has caused me to think I'm transgender and yet they ignore John 9. They have done NO research on the matter and they waft to and fro when presented with new information. It's like they struggle to hold on to their faith as if, without it being exactly the way they've got it in their head, they won't have it anymore.

God has shown many of His children that He is almighty, diverse, and very loving. You are His child and when you continue to seek Him, He will show you amazing treasures.

God bless

Ashley

Guest Annutty

Just to clarify, I use "family" symbolically. I haven't come out to anyone, I just see people who call themselves christians hating on gays and trans people, and i see gays and trans people hating on all christians as a result.

But thanks everyone for your responses

• Admin

There are many groups of Christians today who pray to God as the Pharisee did, "God I give you praise that I am not like this miserable publican in the other pew, yada yada, I am so much better in your sight and sight of the scriptures. Yeah me!!"

The publican / tax collector's though are truly the ones where God will give the "peace that surpasses all understanding" and where God's Peace will come from within our hearts, and not out of pages of a book or scroll. Since accepting my life as it is truly made and wholly acceptable in God's eyes, I feel a miraculous Real Presence in my heart that is holding and cherishing my Real and Authentic Self, and the tears of love give cleansing and refreshment whenever I think about it.

• 3 months later...
Guest ArianaD

An important truth I try to keep in my head is that we are to have a relationship with Christ, first and foremost.

We are guided to be in community with other believers. Unfortunately we as a group (Trans) may need to be more careful in choosing who those believers are.

I've been a Christian for 42 years. God hasn't changed. When I accepted Christ in my life, he accepted everything about me, being transgender included. Came out to my church family 2 1/2 years ago and was accepted with open arms.
Guest Shelly1

They think some sin has caused me to think I'm transgender and yet they ignore John 9.

Thank you Ashley, I never considered John 9 in the context of transgender and praying for another transgender person. Those who are adamant I'm sinning won't consider what happened to me very recently regarding this since it can't be possible since we're both 'sinners' and 'freaks'. Thank you for opening my eyes to this chapter to me. Very powerful