• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First Sharing of a Voice Recording

Guest LauraJen

Guest LauraJen

OK so I started properly working on my voice about a week ago and have been consistently making recordings of me reading things on the Internet (mainly about rainbows, probably because the Yeson clinic seem to use something about rainbows as a test passage and I came across their videos when starting out, among others. I figured it was as good a place to start as any).

I made one earlier today that I was quite pleased with, where I spoke the first list of Harvard sentences, sentences used to test voice-over IP and telephone systems. I thought I would include the link just to cite my source: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/%7Ehgs/audio/harvard.html

I uploaded a recording where I spoke the List 1 sentences in my female voice, including my male voice for comparison. The sentences in my female voice in its current state starts at 42 seconds:

https://soundcloud.com/laurajen5381/voice-25-jul-14/s-JV7vd

Now, I appreciate the fact that there is a long way to go here. This is only after a week's work, and it was never meant to be perfect. There is a marked improvement however between the first recordings I made and this one.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Negative comments are welcome, as long as they are constructive, as knowing where I am going wrong and what I need to work on is key.

Guest Jamie61

Hi LauraJen,

Thank you for sharing both the list of sentences and your beautiful voice recording. I have also recently started working on my voice and I have struggled for words to say. I closed my eyes and listened to the later half a few times. I most definitely picture a woman's voice! I think that is amazing after only one week! Keep us posted and I will get to work and try to post a recording of my best voice! Do you feel your female voice getting stronger each day? ( I've noticed I'm much kinder in my male voice, since I started practicing my female voice and started using different word choices.)

Hugs!

Jamie

Guest LauraJen

Thank you Jamie, really appreciate it! I do notice it getting stronger each day. Every time you do something, you get a little bit better. I have a trans support group meeting next week so will try this out there.

Good luck with your voice practice, too!

• Forum Moderator

I think you are doing very well. I must admit as a Yank i enjoy the accent as well. I wonder f there is an in-between the two or if that will simply happen with time.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest LauraJen

Thanks Charlize, it is definitely encouraging. It's nice to see things moving in the right direction at last.

I won't bother including my male voice in any future recordings I share, I just put it in this one for the sake of comparison. There will come a point soon where I won't be interested in my old voice and will only use it when I have to.

Guest LauraJen

I hear a bit of... Not a nasal... But similar to a nasal sound. However, your getting there! Keep it up!

Thanks. Actually I agree. It's the thing I am trying to get rid of at the moment.

Guest Tallie

I hear a bit of... Not a nasal... But similar to a nasal sound. However, your getting there! Keep it up!

Thanks. Actually I agree. It's the thing I am trying to get rid of at the moment.

I agree that there is a slight strained quality to it, but you have more then achieved a solid high pitch and could even come down a bit and be fine. Something that may also help once you are more comfortable is to work on varying your pitch as you speak (sing-song quality). Keep up the great work

Guest LauraJen

Thanks Tallie. I think I would agree that my pitch is right, I have a piano in front of me when I do it and I can sing the note I need to be at no problem. In all honesty though, I am not expecting it to ever be great. Realistically I think i am just going to have to settle for something about passable rather than fantastically feminine.