• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Androgyny and pronouns.

Guest Edge_of_Spades

• Forum Moderator

I certainly prefer female pronouns since transition to full time. 63 years of being him makes that hard for some at times. There are understandable slips even after about 3 years. I've blown it as well....old habits die hard.

Hugs,

Charlize

Please note my profile(below). Doing that helps others here make fewer mistakes.

Guest Edge_of_Spades

I certainly prefer female pronouns since transition to full time. 63 years of being him makes that hard for some at times. There are understandable slips even after about 3 years. I've blown it as well....old habits die hard.

Hugs,

Charlize

Please note my profile(below). Doing that helps others here make fewer mistakes.

Of course that you prefer feminine ones, you're a woman. I mean what the androgynes think about pronouns over this site.

• Forum Moderator

I am happy with he or she (male or female) when behaving as my natural self (otherwise I dress fully male a to work and sometimes go out intentionally as fully female. At such times I prefer he or she as is relevant).

I am not very keen on nondescript things and modern attempts at creating something different. When I think about it it is a little strange to feel so strongly neither fully male or female but to use precise pronouns. I as yet don't know why!

Guest ashleynikole

I prefer people to call it as they see it. If I'm in boy mode, use he, him, etc and when I'm in girl mode, she, her, etc.

I don't really have an aversion to one or the other and ironically when I am not in full girl mode and I get the ma'am or Ms., then I get over elated with joy. The ear to ear grin kind.

Most of the time I live in a very androgynous mode as I'm not ready to transition and live full time so I'm likely seen as a very feminine guy or a slightly masculine woman. That's about as close as I get to androgyny.

God bless

Ashley

Guest noeleena

Hi,

Im an intersexed female, and i have no issue with my maleness its all part of my makeup and from birth , My many friends know me very well and my background , and we are not talking about a few 100 here many many 1000,s of people and friends,

And as they all know im a female with out my womb , plus many like my detail because im a builder im very handy to have around and a few while we are discusing things like bob the builder does come up, oh he can do that and then its back to normal oh just get noeleena to do this or that, go find her ,

I take it all in fun and can and do have a laugh , part of my life is about being friends with many people if they can laugh with me then this is what its about ,

it,s not very often im called a male and really i dont care, i just say you,d better watch out this one stroppy female may just take you on , new people soon find out about myself through our grape vine , people just accept me as i am for who i am , after that what really matters, they get to know me ,

...noeleena...

Guest NeutraLee

I'm new to it all and have always lived as female, as bio, and have always gone as "she." As I gain awareness about all these gender issues, her/she are annoying me more and more, but I don't identify as him/he either, so what are you gonna do....

I really wish there were some legitimate, accepted, universal genderless pronouns. I know there are some, but they're not known or understood. I'm not up to explaining my genderlessness to everyone I meet and teaching them obscure pronouns. So I continue with she/her, even though it is associated with a feminine prototype that is SO not me. I'm a person, that's all. Why oh why can't I just be a person, instead of a he or a she?

Guest Edge_of_Spades

Thanks everybody for your replies.

I'm new to it all and have always lived as female, as bio, and have always gone as "she." As I gain awareness about all these gender issues, her/she are annoying me more and more, but I don't identify as him/he either, so what are you gonna do....

I really wish there were some legitimate, accepted, universal genderless pronouns. I know there are some, but they're not known or understood. I'm not up to explaining my genderlessness to everyone I meet and teaching them obscure pronouns. So I continue with she/her, even though it is associated with a feminine prototype that is SO not me. I'm a person, that's all. Why oh why can't I just be a person, instead of a he or a she?

You wrote exacly all that I think about this question. Thanks you so much, I know that a person in the world think the same way of mine now.

Guest NeutraLee

You wrote exacly all that I think about this question. Thanks you so much, I know that a person in the world think the same way of mine now.

And thank YOU for this reply. I'm so confused about things right now that it really is nice to know that someone out there sees things the same way I do.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest abigus

For the most part, I'm fine with being called "he" because it's what I'm used to... On rare occaisions I get mistaken for a woman (I haven't allowed myself to dress in female clothes in public yet, but I do have long hair and feminine facial features when I shave), and I like being called "she" because it's different, and I haven't been allowed much of my life to embrace my femininity... But there are times when it gets awkward; my partner for example, as understanding as she is, doesn't quite seem to get it... She'll say stuff like "you're such a handsome man", which makes me uncomfortable, but it's worse when she tries (and fails) to correct herself and calls me a beautiful woman instead xD It's not her fault though... Our language and society isn't set up for people like us, so I do the best I can to go with the flow for now.

• 2 weeks later...

this is basically me too, although i don't mind so much if people still refer to me as a she - i look and sound feminine, i'm used to it, plus it's just simpler that way. i have been mistaken for being male online in some games i used to play, despite using female characters. i don't know whether it's because a lot of men do play as females or it was because of the way i spoke/acted ingame, but i'll go with the former (funnily enough, i had a male guildmate who only played as female characters and was constantly mistaken as a woman by others outside the guild). either way, it doesn't matter to me anymore. the only thing i do mind is if people were to call me an "it" and it bothers me a lot to hear others referred to as "it."

I agree about the term "it"... It may be neutral, but it's seriously a word used to describe "things", and it makes one feel like they're being referred to as something that's not even human.

• 3 months later...
Guest RachelMichaels

I have no opinion of this at this point as it's going to be tough, but I sense someone somewhere will likely accidentally use some word they probably heard or thought they heard their kid say and it will go viral and straight into the lexicon update.

I just hope someone can also come up with a better(shorter) and easier to say(and spell correctly) word than 'androgynous' soon as well. The best I can come up with so far is 'A-men' but...you know, sounds too churchy.

Guest DigbyDriver

I don't usually care how I'm addressed, but it's always pleasant to be called by the pronoun associated with my mental gender, which doesn't happen at all except by mistake since I'm not androgynous in appearance.

The other day, though, a friend called me my sister's "brother," and that felt pretty awesome. He looked really confused when he said it and apologized since he doesn't know about me identifying mostly as male. It happens every once in a while.

I think it's because my masculine traits really are the most prominent and they tend to be something people remember, especially from someone who looks so feminine.

I know someone who prefers gender neutral "they". It's awkward being a bookworm who was taught in english class that "they" is plural, but I'm adjusting. And apparently, use of "they" as a singular indefinite or gender neutral pronoun has a lengthy historical precedent anyhow, so it's just us in the modern era who've screwed it up.

• 1 month later...
Guest Casey

I would prefer something neutral but currently there isn't a universal neutral term. I just like to be called a person and prefer to use the word person when speaking about people but often I fall back on the usual terms like most people do cos it is just easier at the moment.

Hmmm, speaking from the general public point of view, genderless pronouns are something of an enigma, if they're even aware of the existnce. I suspect that most are unaware that some people feel that way and having more than two genders causes an exponential increase in the probability for error.

think about the hurt and embarassment when addressed by THE wrong pronoun whether by accident or intention. Now add more pronouns to that list.

I'm not lobbying either way, just some of the things that run through my confused head...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Penta

I was called he/him for a long time and i didn't reall bother until now, since i started to transition i like the she/her pronounce more.

It's just that even though i'm just in the beginning of my transition it just fits me better since i'm expressing my feminine side now .

Neutral pronounce like they them makes me feel like i'm schizofrenic or something so i really don't like that.

Guest Nicodeme

"She" confuses and bothers me, but when people refer to me that way in front of me I don't correct them. I'm not transitioning, and won't be for a long time, if ever, so I don't see the point.

I tried for a very long time to get people to use xe/xyr/xem/xyrself but it made people angry and nobody used it, no matter how many times I repeated and physically wrote out the declension for them. People suggested zhe/hir, but that's just she/her with a few letters changed and I refuse to believe that's neutral. I wasn't going to touch that with a 10-foot pole.

I've settled for singular "they," because langauge is nowhere near as static or defenseless as English teachers and self-proclaimed Grammar Despots would like one to think. And as someone mentioned earlier, there's like 500 years of "they" being used as a singular pronoun.

Guest Razilee

As Mom used to say, "Call me anything, just don't call me late for supper." But honestly, I had a great mother who would keep my supper warm when I had spent too long at the library. My first ticket after I got my license was for an expired meter. I was used to just parking in the bike rack. She died at only 52.

Happy mother's Day, Mom.

• 3 months later...
Guest clearleeraines

I would prefer something neutral but currently there isn't a universal neutral term. I just like to be called a person and prefer to use the word person when speaking about people but often I fall back on the usual terms like most people do cos it is just easier at the moment.

Humm, Yeah Its tough sometimes, I too prefer person, however I won't always fit into a sentence smoothly, whatcha gonna do? I don't really have a thin skin like others But don't call me "pregnant dog" or "it" That's derogatory. I was under the understanding that it was to be mr, mrs ms, and Mx for the rest of us, Anyone know about the Mx thing ? lemmie know

Peace, Clear

• 3 weeks later...
Guest clearleeraines

I was called he/him for a long time and i didn't reall bother until now, since i started to transition i like the she/her pronounce more.

It's just that even though i'm just in the beginning of my transition it just fits me better since i'm expressing my feminine side now .

Neutral pronounce like they them makes me feel like i'm schizofrenic or something so i really don't like that.

Cute, somtimes i wonder about me ?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest clearleeraines

erotic, exotic and sometimes psychotic!

Mx, Clear lee Raines. Humm its like everything we are not used to. don't feel right . . . . . . . . . .YET!