• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Tips on starting?

Guest Alice196498

Guest Alice196498

I've decided I want to try geting my voice better inline with myself. It seems that the best way to do that would be simply to just start...

But what would be the best way to do that? I know about recording oneself and listening to that, but I don't really know what I should

be doing in the first place... I've watched many videos on it and read a lot, but none of the things I've tried really seem to "work" or just

"click" when trying to copy it. I've considered voice therapy and whatnot, but that isn't really possible for me, unfortunately. I guess what

would help might be someone who not only knows whereof they speak, but also would be willing to sit with, listen to me, and give advice

about what should best be done.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jamie61

Hi Alice, voice is very difficult, at least for me. Unlike other aspects that I feel I can tackle and see improvement sometimes daily, my voice is taking the long way. Here some of the best things I've learned.

Start developing the good habits that protect your female voice. Example cough without making a sound, then clear your throat. Or, don't yell, keep your volume average or low, etc... These will help keep the progress you make on tone. You can find these online.

Find you "base" tone and try to raise that a couple of full tones. For me that's C3 to E3. Try speaking words at your higher tone. Then try to add some inflection to swoop those words even higher, say another half tone.

Remember how you say it is also important.... Listen to women speak. Women usually enunciate more clearly, so put your voice out on your lips, not the back of your throat.

Guys "Put that down." (abrupt)

Gals "please set that dow-wn." (falling tone)

I find I do my best stuff, female voice, in the morning. Then by the end of the day my voice is tired from talking male.

Voice is a big challenge for me, but important as no one else is going to speak for or stickup for me. I need my female voice. I hope we can all find the voice we are looking for.

Best of luck,

Jamie