• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Improving Epilation Efficiency

Guest ValerieD

Guest ValerieD

Anyone have any advice for improving the effectiveness of my epilator? It seems that most of my hairs are just cut rather than pulled out at the root. It doesn't help that I always have a bunch that lie flat against the skin, so the epilator can't get them (I have to dig out the more obvious ones with tweezers, but I can't get them all, or even most). Epilation is supposed to last longer than shaving, but in my experience it doesn't. I've read that exfoliating improves results, but that doesn't help much since the only thing I know about exfoliation is the definition. Any advice?

Guest LizMarie

I run my epilator across the same area multiple times, often in different directions each time, to give the epilator different opportunities to lift and pluck the hair.

I don't know what to tell you about the hair breakage versus the hair plucking. It may be an issue of hair thickness and strength as male body hair tends to also be thicker and heavier, just like facial hair is.

• Forum Moderator

I have used mine after a shower. It seems to work better that way.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I am having another go with my epilator over my stomach. Early days yet but things are a bit more promising than last time where I got major issues with ingrowing hair and irritation.

I had problems at first with brittle thick hairs (left from shaving) which were painful to remove and the irritation was bad. As someone mentioned witch hazel I have now got a cleaner which has witch hazel and tea tree which seems better for the irritation. I also moisturise a lot. The hairs are now somewhat finer and I am getting less irritation, but it has not gone yet (only been trying for about a month). I suspect removal will be far easier after a shower as Charlize said because the hair will be softer and less likely to break, cleaned of oil so less slippery and as the skin is warm the pores will be more open. That said my latest epilator was supplied with an ice pack and glove although I think maybe that is to lessen irritation.

My first epilator failed fairly early into it's life, I think due to having to cope with male rather than female hair although thats when I used it with most of my body rather than the small areas that I am using it with now.

Tracy

Guest Danielle J

Take a nice long bath and use a loofa sponge or something simular to remove all the dead skin cells. Then epilate before putting any lotion on. It also helps to let the hair grow for a few days between uses to give the epilator something to grab hold of.

Hugs