• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Manga with Transgender Central Themes

Guest Luna_Luv2942

Guest Luna_Luv2942

Hi everyone! Thought I would share some manga I have found that have a Trans* theme that is central to the story. I know a few of you already know about Hourou Musuko (Wandering Son) which is a really good one but I felt it was sorta flat and didn't go into a lot of things (like why these kids never really networked or even searched for resources online), also the Soprano's like ending was a bit confusing. However there are a few I have found that may be of interest; I can only cite two off the top of my head, and only one of which I have actually read. But I'll update this as I find more.

First up is Bokura no Hentai which is a lot like Hourou Musuko: it is almost entirely focused on kids, issues of gender identity and angst are present, and the characters are very relate-able. But that sorta where it ends, for one thing this series is a lot darker in subject matter. There are many disturbing themes that come up in this manga but they (to me) are well written and not over done or anything like that. The main characters meet through an online forum (although I have a bit of an issue with the translators as it is a "trap" group but oh well) for cross dressers. The main characters also have different reasons for their cross dressing which I won't get into details right here but you can look it up and read from the synopsis of it. They also do things that are, well, more believable in my opinion than HM(in a recent issue one of the character's has gone to a gender clinic, and they all meet up not out of coincidence like HM but from a website). This series is also still churning out new chapters so I don't know when it will end but it is very good and I highly recommend it.

The next one I have not read yet but looks to be good is called IS: Otoko Demo Onna Demo Nai Sei; I have no idea what that translates to but the manga is about intersexuals and their lives. It also has a live action drama which I haven't seen yet either, sadly. I'll make a review of the series after I have read it a bit but that is what I have found so far. Hope everyone will check these out some time!

-Maia

• Forum Moderator

I didn't know about these stories. Are they available on line?

Thanks and hugs,

Charlize

Guest Luna_Luv2942

Yes they are available online :) If you google search them they will pop up a few sites that you can read them on (I personally use Manga Fox but there are many other ones out there to use).

-Maia

Guest Luna_Luv2942

Okay tonight I am going to do a review of IS: Otoko Demo Onna Demo Nai Sei; I've read a bit of it (only four chapters now) but I think I can give a relatively good review for everyone. Okay first things first, the translation and scans of the manga are awful; if you are a stickler for proper grammar and correct spelling, you are going to struggle through the beginning of this series. Heck even if you are not a stickler you will cringe as well, and it doesn't help that there is only one translation available so there are no other options. Also other things like empty dialogue bubbles and small fonts make it hard to read however it does seem to change after a while, I skipped ahead a few chapters and the font had changed and, hopefully, the quality is much better overall.

Moving on from that the manga its self is rather good. I am not really ecstatic about the artistic style but it is well done and the character's have good expressions of their emotions. The characters themselves are rather good as well; very down to earth types of people who have their struggles but also their triumphs and some are really optimistic. I am not intersexual so I really can't say if they are completely accurate in presentation but the characters who are intersexed and their loved ones seem very well researched and realistic. They not only show struggles with relationships (romantic and platonic) but also with employment, the medical profession, society at large; but they also show the intersexed characters being empowered and strong characters who are out to educate and teach people, they are not victims of society which I really like that they did that.

The series is broken up into three stories about three different characters that never intertwine (they don't ever meet up or anything like that, at least I don't think so). The first two stories are really short one-shot stories, the third one which makes up the bulk of the series is centered around a family who have an intersexed child and follows the child from birth to adulthood (at least I think so). Overall I think this series is worth looking at if you can put up with the terrible translation and grammar, and will be very enjoyable and refreshing.

p.s. Not done too many of these review things so hope this turns out well ^_^

-Maia

Guest TracieV3

Kyou Kara Yonshimai manga seems to be a very good read. It is about a pre-op mtf, that returns home to her sisters. The series plays itself straight, but not in a depressing way. That are a few humorous scenes, but those scenes are not derogatory towards the mtf character.

The people who made this manga clearly have researched real life transgender issues and it shows in their work. I would recommend reading the translations of this manga.

Guest TracieV3

I just read it and it is really good! Thank you for sharing it :)

-Maia

You're welcome. Have you read the manga volumes of Gacha Gacha Secret? It is a lighthearted comedy that doesn't take things to seriously. The manga is pretty good, you can get passed the nudity in the first half a dozen chapters. Also, there is no sex in it. It is fifty-five chapter long.

The reason I suggest this manga is that unlike most of the series of gender bending genre, the character boy whom finds he can change into a girl, Back and forth, realizes the benefits of being able to live which ever gender he-she wants, at the time. Thus, making him-her, genderfluid, before the term became more widely known.