• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Blondes and Lasers and Shaving, Oh My!

Dev

• Admin

Hi all!

Recently transitioned trans woman here. Reading through this forum was the first I'd ever heard that light hair isn't eligible for laser hair removal. Do those of you who've been through it think I'd have a problem with it, as my hair is dark blonde?

Also, while I'm saving up for a more permanent method of hair removal, is there a system you would recommend for shorter-term hair removal? I tried MOOM for Men this week and it absolutely refused to grab any of my hair and pull it out, no matter how much I tried. So, I'm back to shaving to keep my face and cleavage clear of hair and I'm at a complete loss as to what to do about the rest of my body hair. Could you offer some recommendations?

Thanks!!

• Admin

Thanks Megan!

I'm not on hormones yet. Having an immense amount of difficulty with finding a doctor who will prescribe for me. :(

Electrolysis is more expensive than laser, correct?

-Dev

• Admin

Hi Megan,

I'm in Boise. Travel outside the state is too cost-prohibitive for me, which is a shame, because my doctor wanted to send me to Portland for HRT.

-Dev

Nair Max works great but follow the instruction exactly. Ask me how I know? Three to four minutes too long and I earned a nasty three day chemical burn.

The only thing was the hair would grow back so fast I cried a lot. Now three years HRT I use the new spray Nair about once every month or month and a half. Hormones made a huge difference. I was dark and fuzzy all over, much to my dismay. Now I have little tiny blonde pin feathers like many genetic gals, so I fit right in. Well, that may be stretching the truth a little. At six feet tall, it's had to be missed. Giggle.

Anyway it works for me, before and after HRT. Hug. JodyAnn

• Admin

Megan,

No, I don't have a prescription for the HRT. The problem I'm having is with finding a doctor who's willing to prescribe it. Could you let me know which mail-order company you're referring to? That could be helpful information to have.

• Forum Moderator

Hair is a total pain for me. None up top and i have plenty below. I haven't gone in for electrolysis yet. My beard is light in color and virtually disappears from site if i shave once a day. My GT told me to wait until HRT had it's full effect. While i still have facial hair i do think the years have made it thinner and it is getting close to the time when i'll have to confront the issue. It would be so lovely to feel a smooth face at any time. I can see myself being a real mess if i have to go to an old age home for care. Bald is one thing but being a bald bearded lady is a prospect i am uncomfortable with.

Are you seeing a gender therapist? I am certain that is harder where you are but they usually know doctors and other services in your area that can help. Mine here has been a great help to me both in accepting myself, working with family and medical resources.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to shave religiously for the time being. I'm not seeing a gender therapist because I can't afford it or HRT at the moment, so tracking down resources and doing research on what's available is a bit harder for me.

• 2 months later...
Guest noeleena

Hi,

An epilator just pulls them out...... about every few = 3 days. maybe 4,

you have to try , to find out if it ll work for you.......or not, cost of under 100$.

i wont say youll enjoy the ......pain...... if you can then go for it,

My self my pain threshold is extreem so i can handle it , and from what i know the 1 st to 4 th time....... and the 1 st time maybe the last time ,on a lighter note well maybe to do your body is not quite as hard . body hair is about 8% .

...noeleena...