• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I'm giving up smoking cigarettes, need encouragement

Guest AllisonRae

Guest AllisonRae

The last few weeks have been a time of self discovery and hope for me. Think I've came further than I did 16 years ago when I was first wanted to begin my transition. Now comes a tough one for me, I'm going to do my best to quit smoking. I want this habit gone before I start HRT. Any prayers best wishes and encouraging words would be much appreciated!

Jimmy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlize

• tracy_j

• Alyssa Deutsch

• gennee

I quit smoking when I started vaping, a year ago. Ecig is the way to go. I see several Drs each month and they all have said they are glad I'm vaping and not smoking. They even allow me to vape in their offices. Good luck with quitting, I know it can be hard.

That's really great. Goodluck! It's definitely a challenge. I tried to quit about a year ago with no luck. It's a disappointment to lose to chemicals time and time again. So, wishing you all the strength I didn't have!

You're kinda encouraging me to try again. ^^

The best advice I can give you is to ignore anyone who tells you anything like "it's okay to slip up and have a cigarette once in awhile". It's really not with addiction. -_-

You can do this, just gotta stay motivated.

• Forum Moderator

That was one that took longer to quit than alcohol. I just couldn't get you can't have just one. A puff lead to a carton. I did almost the same thing i did with drinking i realized that i had to ask something bigger than myself of help. The initial hell passed sooner than i would have thought and just like drink i have to remember one will never be enough. I am an addict but today i haven't used.

We're behind you and you are amongst others who are sober and smoke free today.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest AllisonRae

Thank all of you!

Getting closer to my first 24 hours, I've been this far before but stumbled and fell off the wagon. Like Rashaad and Charlize said, not even one puff. This time I'm going to do it, too much at stake now not too. Keep the support coming, I love you all!

Jimmy

• Forum Moderator

You can do it!

From experience I would say just not to make a big thing of it. Just do it (easy to say I know but the less it's stressed the better). I never really stopped - I just did not want any more!

Tracy

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Jimmy,

Congratulations, I know that it can be difficult, especially, in the beginning. :score:

Thankfully, I was never a smoker, but I do know how difficult it can be.

Think of all the money that you will save, and can apply to your transition.

I wish you Success and Happiness in your Journey, and Quitting Smoking :wub:

Hugs,

Carla

Guest AllisonRae

Well coming up on three days now, feeling much better. Also trying to get exercising again which is helping. I have a long challenging journey ahead, I want to be prepared the best that I can. Thanks again everyone and keep me in you thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Jimmy

• Forum Moderator

Well done !!!!! That is huge. Just hang in it gets better and the urges pass if we let them and get through another moment or day.

Keep up the good work it will keep you alive and healthy.

Hugs,

Charlize

Congratulations for the good work so far! Keep it up. I can tell you from my previous attempts that the worst part is over.

Just wanted to let you know that you ain't alone in this struggle. I set three goals for 2014 when the year began. Starting HRT has already a checkmark on it, conquering the world has been postponed again, and I won't settle for 1 out of 3 :P

I was planning to end the habit last Friday, but something came up and I couldn't deal with that and withdrawal at the same time. So I had to set it back for next weekend (I don't want to be at work when I go through the phisiological symptoms of withdrawal). By the turn of the year we will both be ex-smokers.

BTW, does anybody want to join the challenge? It will be fun! (No, it won't, but your health will improve :P )

Hugs,

Edu

• Admin

Congratulations! I quit smoking just over a month ago using the vaping method, and it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Don't know why I started in the first place now that I'm off cigarettes. Keep it up, you're doing great!

• Forum Moderator

I was finally able to quit smoking this past April. I was in bad shape from having smoked for 50 years. I'd developed COPD and became married to an oxy machine 24.7, not sexy at all. I started vaping and with that plus my wife's prayers I was able to quit. Now, I'm trying to get back some of the time that smoking stole from me .

No,I'm not going to scream nor preach at anyone. Eveyone must make their own decisions, I just wish that I had made that decision to quit smoking many years ago,

Mike

Guest Megan_Lynn

I quit over 6 years ago when my endo told me if you keep smoking no HRT for you. Quit cold turkey within a week. Was a 20 plus years two pack a day smoker when I quit. While I know this will upset some here , if you are vaping your still an addict plan and simple. Your still putting that poison nicotine in your body. Only difference is your not expelling second hand smoke. Trading smoke for vapor is in no way a victory of any kind as your still a slave to nicotine. If your on HRT and still smoking/vaping your playing Russian roulette with your health. For the life on me I just can not understand why one would not want to do everything possible to live long enough to enjoy your new life as the real you. It has been over 6 years and there are still times I desire a smoke but I refuse to let nicotine ever control my life ever again. I know all it will take it one single puff and I would be like a crack addict needing a fix. I will be a recovering nicotine addict the rest of my life but will never ever give in again ever. I beat it and was able to beat it because being the true me was way more important to me. Anyone can beat the addition of smokes/vaping you just have to decide what is truly important to you. Am rooting for ya to beat the poison nicotine habit..

Guest AllisonRae

You can do it Edu, after only 3 days I feel a major difference. Excercise is helping me in this too. A win win if you ask me!I understand what your saying about the physical withdrawal, that was me Sunday night and Monday. My main motivation here is the same as yous Megan_Lynn, I want more than anything to be and live as the real me. When I learned that nicotine could stand in the way of this I quit cold turkey. Thank you all so much for supporting and believing in me.

Hugs to all!

Jimmy

Guest Elyssia

Great news that you are trying to quit, i gave up over 7 yrs ago, i just decided i didn't want to be a smoker in my 40s. The thing that I did to help was read books or do something to break the habit in the times when you would usually be smoking. I found books easier because you needed both hands, so nowhere to hold a cig. Good luck with it, its not easy, but just keep trying

Guest Clair Dufour

Everything I have read is that hormones and smoking are a dangerous mix leading to blood clots and such? Some say smoking causes penile dysfunciton. It would be nice to see the data. Regardless, the choice of boobs or fags is an interesting one.

Guest AllisonRae

Well everyone just wanted to post a quick update, I'm now 1 week smoke free!

Thanks so much for the encouragement and support, still not done fighting this battle but now I got one victory behind me!

Hugs

Allison

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AllisonRae

Hi!

Wanted to let everyone know I've crossed another milestone, 1 month smoke free!

I am so happy, been trying to spend 1/2hr a night on the treadmill too. Thanks again everyone for your encouragement. My next milestone has always been the toughest, 3 months. Keep me in you thoughts and prayers.

Love you all!

Allison

Great job Allison!

Just as a reminder (and hopefully encouragement): there is at least someone following your lead ;-) BTW, I stumbled a few times, but have remained (smoke) clean since the year began. So now I'm really following your trail.

Congratulations & warm hugs,

Edu

Guest AllisonRae

That's great Edu, I am so thrilled that I can help inspire others in this. If I can do this, I am certain you can! It's tough, I've tried quitting before but I have so much more at stake now. Also the treadmill helps a lot too. Keep me posted on your progress!

Hugs,

Allison