• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hopping back on the diet and exercise bandwagon

Ravin

Since starting T in May, I've gained almost 20 lbs., and my weight was a good 15 lbs. above a decent target weight at that point.

No way, no how is the weight I've put on all muscle--the only muscle I've added is maybe a little bit in my upper arms/shoulders. Mostly it's fat, and it's going right to my gut and some to my face and it's NOT COOL. My clothes are almost all too small and my belt is at the last notch out.

My goal is to get down to 160 lbs. and take my waist down to a 34 again.

So, I'm going back to what's worked in the past, which is actually keeping track on MyPlate (which Johnny introduced me to a few years back). I track what I eat and exercise/activity and it encourages me to not eat when I'm not hungry and get off my duff and exercise.

Anyone want to jump in with me and be accountability partners?

Guest Kenna Dixon

I wish you luck. It sounds as if you have the determination to make it work.

I'm constantly fighting against the extra twenty or so pounds I carry (probably as a result of my estrogen regimen). The only thing that makes any difference is consuming only a minimal amount of food a couple of days a week. Even with that, progress is slow and erratic.

Diets don't work for me because I lost my hunger reflex back in the 1970s and have no food cravings to deal with. I must remember to eat, and sometimes I wait too long and become lightheaded. I avoid things I like that would contribute to the problem, and my only fast food indulgence is Subway's "Veggie Delite".

I started a complete 60 day no sugar thing and have also used it as a reason to try and completely overhaul what I eat. And ideally I'll keep on after it's over-but for now I'm just trying to take it one day at a time.

Also hoping to get back to excercising every day but the current weather is not making that an easy decision lol.

Right there with you. 58 days left of my challenge!

Thanks, Kira!

Kenna, something like MyPlate might be helpful for you, to track nutrients and caloric intake and make sure you get enough of what you should (along with not too much of what you shouldn't). I know having appetite and taste messed up can complicate eating right/healthy. My mom had to have surgery to remove metastasized breast cancer from her brain, and it got close to where taste is processed so now nothing tastes right to her. On the up side, she's gradually lost a lot of extra weight she was carrying. On the down side, she doesn't enjoy food much any more.

I'm feeling a wake-up call because (duh) what hormones you have in your system are just one part of it. Yes, female hormones especially as you get older can encourage the body to store a little more fat (mostly in places you may not object to at least), and yes, testosterone can boost energy and make putting on muscle easier, but we still need to eat right and stay active.

I'm not going extreme on anything this time around. Whole 30 worked for me before, but I don't have the budget to start/maintain that and the lessons I learned from it (watch the sugar, eat a solid breakfast so I don't snack all day, avoid lactose because it disagrees with me etc.) I need to start applying without the full-on extreme.

Cutting out sodas will be easy. I drank more Coke than usual last month, when we were out of coffee, but we have coffee again so it's easy to pass up and my coffee with almond milk is much healthier. Dessert? We'll see. I'll at least keep them small! Also the snacking, I have to watch that.

Guest Kayla Grace

I'd like to weigh in here.

First of all, I'm glad you respect your body enough to change it, Ravin, and everyone else. There's nothing I like more then people caring about their body and health, though the former is usually why.

Have you consulted your doctor Ravin? It would be a good thing to do. Mention the ketogenic diet to him/her. That's essentially what Kira is doing, which is a great thing for weight loss. using your body fat to stay alive and fuel you is so much better then using carbohydrates for a multitude of reasons. combining that with HIIT and intermiddant fasting can melt the fat off you like butter.

I would suggest building muscle, as making more muscle will ultimately help moreso in the long run. If you think about it, if you run and burn 100 calories, you've burnt 100 calories; depending on the intensity of exercise you did, that might be 100 calories you've burnt, and that's that. But with weight training, you've torn the muscle, and it will take many calories to repair that muscle, plus making it bigger and stronger. plus the calories it takes to maintain that muscle.

Sorry, I've rambled a bit. I have a few links on bodybuilding and slimming down on my profile page, if you'd like to take a look. it will show you more in depth.

I wish you luck :) God Bless

Natalya <3

That's great, I like hearing about people caring about their health/body like that. Goodluck! It sounds like you really got this. The big key is staying focused and motivated. That's the only advice a slob like me can offer- I dunno jack about exercise (don't cut gym, kidos). For years now, I've been wanting to put some on muscle. Maybe I'll download somesort of app too, that sounds like a good way to stay focused!

My goal is to make sustainable changes. I won't stick with 60 days of no sugar--though I'm certainly cutting back on the sugary junk because I'm now watching my calories and focusing on eating healthy.

Guest cerise

Bread and other value added flour products.

I say that mostly for myself as my days are numbered with yummy crunchie orally gratiffying bread.

The heartburn is rising as I speak and that was after only a 5 inch piece of a walnut and raisin Baguette.

Its hard but its probably the biggest bang for the buck as far as abstinence.

For me that is.

Oi VAi the acid reflux capicitor is surging!

ouch....

Rabin the sugar thing is both because of a bunch of recent science and reporting that's been coming out in the past year but more because on a personal level it really resonates with me due to how it ties in with my eating disorders and basically addiction. By no means am I saying its for everyone ---- though obviously less is probably always a good thing.

I'm also trying to drastically increase my intake of vegetables, and fiber and decrease meat and refined starches. As well as eat less but more often. It's just easier for me to paraphrase as "no sugar" cause that's the core principle.

I slipped up yesterday, returned to a familiar environment associated with binging without adequately preparing myself, but so far back on track. Even if I'm not perfect I'll still be making a huge improvement.

Of course the only problem I'm running into now is finding the time to do all the cooking I need to...haven't quite worked that one out yet...in the long run it'll probably involve eating more salads...but thats not a great option at the moment.

Guest Kayla Grace

I slipped up yesterday, returned to a familiar environment associated with binging without adequately preparing myself, but so far back on track. Even if I'm not perfect I'll still be making a huge improvement.

Everyone slips up here and there. As long as you can tell that it was wrong of you to do, that's an improvement.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day :)

My goal is to make sustainable changes. I won't stick with 60 days of no sugar--though I'm certainly cutting back on the sugary junk because I'm now watching my calories and focusing on eating healthy.

Ravin, it's not so much eating healthy --- although eating healthy is definitely not a bad thing --- as much as it's a calorie deficit. I found an article yesterday on my phone, and I can pm you the link if you'd like (I'm not sure if it would be allowed to be posted here because of the multiple curse words). It tells and backs up how starvation mode is a myth.

But you have the right idea of eating healthy. it will help you ... well ... stay healthy.

God Bless

Natalya <3

• Forum Moderator

After what will be 4 years a week from today on this bandwagon I relaxed and let myself gain a little between Thanksgiving and new Years. Which was actually scary -I gained 6lbs altogether but managed to take off 5 since January 2nd. I'm actually pretty obsessive about not gaining and staying in shape because of my history. And proud of keeping that 200 lbs off for 2 years and 7 months since I had to stop losing.

No matter the basic science about calories I think it is all far more complicated. I've seen sedentary people who ate non-stop and stayed thin lifelong and people who never stopped working gain on half as much. We are so individual and complicated physiologically that what works for one doesn't work for someone else though I do agree there are some principles that generally apply. When you add in the psychological and social factors along with the real differences between the physiological differences that testosterone and estrogen make it really becomes complicated. T makes me hungry in a different way. And especially when I was in the first couple of years of transition my body thought I was going through puberty and needed to eat for the male growth spurt that was never coming. But I found out WHAT I ate made a much bigger difference than it ever had before. As sis exercise. When exercising I need protein and will be starving hungry if that need isn't met. If I cut my intake too low I also find my body switches into starvation mode much faster so weight loss stops cold. There seems to be a balance range that keeps me losing and still able to function well without starving.

I used the My Plate for over 3 years and I go back to it now and then just to make sure what I'm eating isn't creeping up - and sometimes it is. With T for me and I've read for most guys exercise is really the key. Wat you eat is converted more to muscle and muscle burns calories faster. A circular win/win really. I love what T does as far as weight loss or weight control.

I'll be happy to join you Ravin. I still want to take off another 10 lbs. And I do need to start doing my plate again because though I have made accountability a part of my lifestyle I can get sloppy and lazy about it over time too

Johnny

Johny yore completely right it's way more than just calories in vs. out. I have friend who weighs 90 lbs, up until recently never exercised, and would lose weight unless she ate a ton of food a day.

Genetics, body composition, gut biome, hormones, all have effects. In addition to that it definitely is true that what the calories are made up of that make a difference. Sugar, processed foods, things with a lot of fiber all are converted and processed by the body differently. Focusing on just one thing will probably work but it really isn't the best idea (I focused on just calories - lost weight and kept it off or a while but also developed intense cravings because in essence I was starving myself. )

Not really sure what my point is. Just trying to agree.

In the meanwhile ---- If only I could have whatever my friends secret is lol.

I agree that it's not just about calories in/out. I'm using MyPlate also to pay attention to how much protein and exercise I'm getting. If I don't put enough fat in my diet, I'm constantly hungry and eat WAY WAY too many carbs, and I could definitely use more vegetables in my diet. Mostly the accountability is helping me actually think about what and how much I'm eating and curb snacking. I was also way too sedentary over holiday break, I plan on getting back on my bike for some of my commuting, that should help.

Guest Kayla Grace

Ravin,

distance cardio such as cycling, treadmilling etc. at a steady pace will up your stamina and endurance, whereas high intensity is far better for fat loss. It really is calories in to calories out in a nutshell if you burn fat, gain it, or stay the same. The only place I can see a difference is if you're using a ketogenic diet. Then, you can eat as much as you want and just count macronutrients as you are using your body fat to stay alive. Weight lifting is also a great way to be leaner, and adding some muscle shouldn't upset you too much ;)

God Bless

Natalya <3

• 5 weeks later...

Well, my jeans fit now! I'm down to about 186lbs. I've been biking to and from school (about 45 min. Each way) three days a week, and on at least 2 days each week when I am just staying home or driving around on errands, I eat my favorite paleo breakfast (sweet potato hash with sausage, salmon, or sardines, eggs, power greens, onions, and whatever other veggies are handy) and skip lunch. This generally brings me in well under my target calories for the day.

Other days I eat three similarly sized meals.

Drinking lots of water also helps.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Cutting out sodas will be easy. I drank more Coke than usual last month, when we were out of coffee, but we have coffee again so it's easy to pass up and my coffee with almond milk is much healthier. Dessert? We'll see. I'll at least keep them small! Also the snacking, I have to watch that.

I found that when I stopped drinking diet soda, my snack cravings dropped considerably, as did my cravings for sweets. I was armed and ready with healthy snacks for mid-day cravings when I first started and I still have a bag of popcorn chips unopened. The other I ended up throwing out because they became stale from me not eating it very often.

I'm also not a big coffee person, but I do very much enjoy hot tea. That was part of my "cut back on caffeine" plan. :)

Guest AllisonRae

Hi All, Lots of great information posted here so far. I have fought weight issues most of my life. I am 6' tall and At my worst I was 360 plus pounds. I am in the mid 240s now through diet, excercise, portion control and improving the quality of what I consume from a nutritional standpoint. I also drink more water than I ever have. Things that seem to really hurt me are carbs, especially breads and I so love my breads. Excercise has helped bunches too though I need to alter things from my previous regiment. Putting more time on the treadmill now and not doing any weight training. Also with me it seems when I eat less and have more energy. I am hoping to get to 200 this year.

Ravin,

distance cardio such as cycling, treadmilling etc. at a steady pace will up your stamina and endurance, whereas high intensity is far better for fat loss. It really is calories in to calories out in a nutshell if you burn fat, gain it, or stay the same. The only place I can see a difference is if you're using a ketogenic diet. Then, you can eat as much as you want and just count macronutrients as you are using your body fat to stay alive. Weight lifting is also a great way to be leaner, and adding some muscle shouldn't upset you too much ;)

God Bless

Natalya <3

At the end of the day, I'd rather have more stamina and endurance, especially if they can be obtained without doing activities that make me feel like a hamster in a wheel (that is, I prefer exercise that is also an activity I find enjoyable for it's own sake. I can make a habit of it more easily). So, I bike to school. I greatly dislike and thus find it hard to make time for going to the gym. Biking actually saves me time as it's faster than walking to the bus stop and taking the bus to school.

Guest Kayla Grace

At the end of the day, I'd rather have more stamina and endurance

Oh yes I agree! Just because someone has a 6, or 8 pack, doesn't mean they're fit! Perhaps I should have mentioned it earlier, but HIIT is great for building stamina and endurance as well as being better for fat loss then steady cardio. I've actually heard about a study of bikers that did HIIT, against bikers that didn't. The HIIT bikers found that after 2 weeks they could pedal faster and longer as opposed to the others. Just some food for thought.

My main pet peeve with steady cardio is that your body quickly adapts to everything you throw at it, and it will burn fewer calories because of it. The BIGGEST thing I see in the gym is others doing steady cardio, and it's not uncommon for me to see others that have been there for close to an hour. This is why those doing this kind of cardio will often look the same after a week? two? three? even a month later. Cardio at the end of the day is supposed to put you outside of your comfort zone, heck, everything related to bodybuilding is. HIIT will give you that because you are constantly pushing yourself to your max potential, so you won't ever get used to it.

As for being a hamster in the wheel, I don't think there's anything around this. Like I said before, it's all about pushing outside your comfort zone. Let me ask you something similar. Say you wanted thicker biceps, as most males do. Would you curl 50 lbs for a certain amount of reps and stop, or curl 100 lbs to failure, rest for a minute, then curl 100 lbs again?

God Bless

Natalya <3