• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolyn Marie

Opinion: What Must Christians Overcome to Accept TG Folks?

VickySGV

Who's side is this on?? I don't really see it in Trans* favor, it sounds like we just have to put up with churches which are dying to finish the trip to the bone yard.

Carolyn Marie

I agree that the piece had an odd tone to it; part sympathetic, part "we're gonna believe what we've always believed." I suppose that you aren't going to get much else from a mainstream Catholic publication.

Carolyn Marie

gennee

I read the article once. I need to study it before commenting.

:)

VickySGV

Part of her premise is that a loving God would not create us as he had because that would be God's intention to make an innocent child who will suffer all their lives. It ignores that when we are accepted as fully human beings, which other humans and even religions can, then our being poor pitiful victims will be over. Its an argument of "I am not going to change, I am perfect as I am and you should be changed to be as I am to be happy. The truly easiest route is the one that says I am fine, you are fine, I respect you and will give you love even if and when you are different.

Guest SoulRoots@FatherGods53

If God created all then that would include people that are different.....unless a God would abandon or deny his/her own creations?!? which I do wonder at times?!?......that maybe that is the case?

I am a member of a theology/social group that Ive quite recently found and erm definatly wont be bringing any gender or sexual orentation questions there.....not been attending that long!?!

Very well written and interesting artical......if somewhat upsetting! feels like a bit of a mine feild!

Life is difficult and painfull enough without being told or it being implied) that God/A God dosnt/couldnt/wouldnt love me......to me that is a profoundly painfull thout and I can totally see that feeling or just being told that could be the last straw and push someone over the edge!?! But maybe Im kinda sensative?!? think all humans want some kind of relationship with "a God" even if its just to want to push it away!?! But then Im not an atheist....so I guess I would say that!

Its gotta be said if God/Gods/Whoever didnt want me to develop a very strong male self" as well as some female) then he sure ordered my life/background kinda strange?!? :-> He he

Guest Razilee

"'My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways', saith the Lord." (Isa 55:8) seems to still apply to some Christians, just as it did to Jews in Isaiah's day.

Christianity isnt really a faith that I know that much about/althou I am kinda looking it over" again~as some of its theology/concepts I find kinda interesting/usefull) But anywayz.....it does say somewhere that "God is love" :-) I notice it only seems to be that 1 line?!? and isnt followed by another line that says "excepting:You and you and you@sections of Society?!? :-> SoulRoots

Interestingly enough back when I kept fancy~rats regular as pets....One of the lady rats that I aquired turned about to be a double~gender or intersex rat!?! as in having both female/male generative parts) All of my rats were "Gods gift to me" as wonderfull soul~guides/companion animals ect....But gender aside my "bobbie~longbody" lady rat was just a unique and one off" rat and lovley to know and Gods gift" for me to know that some rats are differently created!?! She would thrash her tail when angry (not a common rattie behaviour) and the bobbie" name comes from her "white socked" feet! Strangley I always knew that she was "double~gendered" lady and wouldnt want any pups or come into season & that was cool with me!?! When she passed away I had my vet confirm that she did have the male~aspect" physicaly! Had loads of rats over the years But that was only one (so far) that had that :-) Ratties are very hormonal creatures generally Id add!?! And it does affect there behaviours a lot/as does the breed ect....SoulRoots

Sally

What do Christians need to do to accept TG Folks?

Follow the teachings of the one they say they are following,

"Love thy neighbor as thyself." There were no exclusions listed.

Why it is such a difficult thing for so many of them to do is a mystery to me.

Love ya,
Sally

VickySGV

Too many Xtians think that Heaven has a finite amount of space in it and they need to cut the numbers of people going there down to a manageable size, and also their idea of heaven is "their size" fits all.

Being as twisted as I am, my definition of Hell, is that it is the Heaven we envision as living people and are afraid to let go of when we ALL make the GREAT TRANSITION at death.

Very well put @VickySGV :-) And I love the expression of the "trip to the boneyard" part!?! Although I dont entirely get its meaning~But I can learn!?! God Bless From SoulRoots :-)

Who's side is this on?? I don't really see it in Trans* favor, it sounds like we just have to put up with churches which are dying to finish the trip to the bone yard.

You have drawn back in my mind a local church that has a beautiful building, an auxiliary building, so many detached brick class room out buildings. A baseball field, playground and about nearly an open acre for new expantion. All right in the middle of the city across from the school.

I drove by so mant times, I know it must be operating as of the three cars daily in a huge parking lot that could contain hundreds of vehicles

The sign said Sunday services and the times.

For weeks I drove and looked on. Why was all that unused? I daydreamed of Sunday afternoon pot lucks and baseball. Classrooms converted into family emergency shelters, their children playing in the swings. A lovely service in the main church and help for people like us in the aux building. I so wanted to find out why? Maybe even be a part of?

I missed one fact all along. Until one Sunday my kids and I dressed to go to that church. I had promised them a good time exploring a new church for us.

We arrived about twenty five minutes prior to service time. There were only nine cars in the lot! The fear of God struck me that we were certainly on the wrong place! We went back to our old church. On the way home I checked back. Now eleven cars.

Did they staunchly and steadfastly exclude in the name of God until the dozen left can claim they are the true deciples of their God?

Ever after the Sundays I drive by, still a dozen or less. I am so saddened that something that was once a great gift to and from God is now a ghost for the bone yard. If there was ever a church for No Judgement City this religious relic is high on the list. Amen. JodyAnn

VickySGV

Very well put @VickySGV :-) And I love the expression of the "trip to the boneyard" part!?! Although I dont entirely get its meaning~But I can learn!?! God Bless From SoulRoots :-)

Currently, many churches are losing their appeal and membership. The ones losing most quickly and seriously are ones that use a theology that has not kept any pace with the modern world as far as science and greater political environment. Biblical literalism is one example of this type of church. In a family, the grandparents and mom and dad will buy into "the old time religion" but their children will leave home and church in the near future.

The churches who stand some chance of survival are those who respect the Bible, but who try to look at how the past can inform and give insight to us of old solved problems and how they were solved, but which do not lock us into actions for our present day.

For example. "Eunuchs were accepted back 4K years ago, and largely dealt with fairly and happily, they did not fit the norm of the Hebrew people, so how can we deal the same honorable way with Trans* people today?" Those churches who ask questions that way, will hopefully get the point and survive.

One of my favorite pastors moved on and the church took on a less we are all broken theme. I seldom go now.

One of his favorite storys that I loved. "Would you buy a beautiful new car and not read the owner's manual? It tells you all the nice features, How to maintain it correctly for longeviit and most of all keep it safe and useful. The Bible is God's gift for us as our owner's manual. Most importantly the teachings of Jesus are our training to love and navigate in traffic." He blew me away! That day was a game changer for me! I started to love to read and study the Bible to find out about me! God and I both love that.

I wish the haters would stop studying with the intentions of beating me over the head with it. My manual way not quite be the same as theirs. I wish they get that I just want to be God's pink Maserati! They can still be God's primered Pinto, just stop bumping my fenders. Giggle. Hug. JodyAnn

Goddness~well that is food for thout!?! The social group/think tank or whatever it is that I go to are Christian based~But seem to have a more spiritual and inclusive attitude ethos and erm I was told that I have a safe space there" and I was like kinda erm mainstream religoin isnt normaly my thing" But then because I do definatly have an interest in theology and debate and suchlike I seem to really benefit from having that space~which wasnt being offered anywhere elsa!?! kinda not without being put under a lot o pressure anyways~as in convert now and do/dont do this and that)!?! And I have enough pressures in my life anywayz!?! lol SoulRoots

Seems like Ive looked at/read on all kindsa Beleifs/World Religions But everyday and almost every hour :-< ) I ask same Qs?!? What is/where is God/Gods if cant see it? why does evil get everywhere and run the world?!? why can angels love me~But not people?!? Why would I be born here on Earth~when war/death/sin freaks me out?!? Ect ect.....So if I can go somewhere now & again and be around people who care about these kinda things/subjects man am I going to jump at that!?! :-) they could be green alien/preists and Id still want to go (?!?) @Lol :-) SoulRoots

Got to be said I do wonder @least several times a day :-< what is God doing in my life and with me?!? why put such" Very manly" kinda desires and tastes in such an "earth~angel" as me?!? Is he playing with me for fun~Or treating me as a tool?!? is it all just Some giant~Cosmic joke?!? :-< Sometimez I feel rather foolish~never mind frus~strate!?! :-[ Maybe got is a pervert?!? Or@the very least strange & perverse?!? My female "role model" eXited my life for good when I was still in nappies and Im sure that a phycologist. Would point to that as a cause?!? ie it really isnt my fault~on that level?!?! :-> SoulRoots