• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A conversation about height

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I was at the market yesterday and started a conversation with the supermarket manager. She is a tall, attractive blond woman and wears heels as well. At the time she was getting stock down from the top of the shelves. I brought up the joy of helping shorter women. She laughed and smiled. I was looking up at her as she agreed and then said she had hated being tall when she was young. Now she said it is a reason she gets some respect from men. She looks down at the short guys and eye to eye with most of the tall ones. Perhaps being a big girl doesn't hurt in a society that is dominated by males. I had not seen that particular angle before the conversation.

Oh, by the way i've got a new friend at the market.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Sarah Faith

I know an extremely pretty tall cis woman who has been accused of being trans.. It doesn't bother her that much because I mean she's always been a woman so shes not insecure about it.. Tall trans woman if they were accused of being trans even if they look extremely female would likely become extremely upset over this because they likely DO have insecurities. It really depends on the individual and how insecure or secure with them selves they are, being tall has its advantages.. But so does being in the average female height range.

• Admin

In the old days, I used to feel so embarrassed at the market when I had to ask a guy to reach something on the top shelf. Nowadays, guys (and a few tall women) gladly offer to help the "little lady." :) I don't feel embarrassed at all.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I think that although being short as a woman is not too much a problem (at least within normal range) being tall may have issues but often dependent on external factors. An obvious one is that if friends are fairly tall as well then no-one stands out too much however tall. I have come across very tall cis women who have been conscious of their height and how they stand out. As Faith implied - they are women so have no fear of being called trans but this is another addition to the bodily things which women worry about.

One of the main issues with being tall is the fit of clothing and footwear. This is something which every trans person of any size will know about as well as the taller cis woman.

Tracy

Hello Ladies,

I had to post on this one as I have been hearing about this all my life.

I am 6'1". Not super tall for a guy, but tall. My sister (who is near 2 years older) is also... 6'1". She has mentioned... again and again, that it is so hard dating because she is so much taller than so many guys. Taller... meaning that it's like absoutly forbidden to wear heels. She has dated some guys that were as tall... and a few that were taller. One guy was 6'10", and ducked going throught the door way ( I can't imagine that). My sister always gave me garbage if I dated a short girl... and "Why do all the tall guys go for the short girls" (this is long before I came out).

I never thought (as a guy) of my height being a detriment, but as a woman... I confess that... well... it sucks to holy hell that I can't simply slip into a pair of my cute heels and not be taller than the tallest guy in the room. (thinking about that now, I'll have to find a bar for tall people I guess ha ha).

Something I guess I will have to get used to I suppose. I realize that there are tall women (obviously), and see that it is a matter of confedence, but frankly Charlize... I neveer thought it about it from a stand point of "height = male respect"... and that's one thing... I look forward to using to my advantage :D

Hugs,

Kaylee

Guest April Kristie

I just love tall women, last spring in Key West we went to a drag show. There in the audience was a women's volleyball team having a bachelorette party for one of their team mates. As I was in a SRO crowd, I was located near the rest rooms and these 6'5", 6'6" women were walking by me and I am 6'8". It was grand. I did speak to one of them about the women of honor and she wears heels all the time, that would have her looking down at me. How exciting! Her hubby to be was her height.

I have a sister 6'3". Who married a man 6'8" and her son is 6'9". Life for the tall is great, many would kill for our height!

But above all be happy in your skin and your height won't matter.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I usually have a conversation about height once a week with someone, usually another woman. Most people just ask "dang, girl, how tall are you?!" and I sheepishly answer 6'5. Some where in the conversation I end up mentioning that I wish I were shorter so I could wear heels and then I explain why, at my height, I choose not to wear heels (I don't like hitting my head on door frames).

Kudos to those tall girls who do wear heels! I wish I had the confidence to do it...but I don't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

I though i would add this link to a cute group of thoughts from tall cis women. Should make us feel better. I especially liked the T-shirt that asked "Did you play miniature golf?". I'm always placed as the center on the basketball court.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

I though i would add this link to a cute group of thoughts from tall cis women. Should make us feel better. I especially liked the T-shirt that asked "Did you play miniature golf?". I'm always placed as the center on the basketball court.

Hugs,

Charlize

No link, Charlize.

Carolyn Marie

Sorry it was gone by the time i saw this post. indeed.... oops

Edited by Charlize
a lack of mentation on my part
Guest Gregg Jameson

Hi Ladies,

I have a relatively tall sister and know it's been somewhat of a struggle for her.

I am almost six feet tall and would be happy to be even taller.

I find women of all heights truly beautiful, as it's really about personality, attitude, joy, etc. For me, beauty is all about the aura and the energy that radiates from another person. All heights, shapes, sizes of women are beautiful, in my opinion.

Warmly,

Gregg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest noeleena

Hi,

At 5 ,9 im not tall or short as many of my women friends are about the same height though quite a few are shorter , we are dressed in Edwardian clothes at our different do,s and get lovely comments over here its not an issue and i have two other friends who are taller than i

Our oldest son is taller than i 2 nd son is same as i and daughter is a little shorter , height for us is not an issue and none of us are bothered we dont care they are our friends and get on well .

...noeleena...

I'm seen so many trans women worry about passing because of their height. I'm 6'7" and the only comments I get are "Wow your a tall woman" to "I wish I could have your height" from cis-woman. I know a cis-woman that is my height and we talk about which heels work and which don't. (The don't want to hit door frames factor, LOL.) The only annoying thing about being a tall woman besides finding clothes that fit is the questions of "Do you play basketball or volleyball?"you get from everyone.

• 11 months later...

Yeah this is a major hurdle in my journey that I'm worried about, I am 6, 1 and have big manly shoulders that I hate :(

I worry constantly that even if I change my voice, hair, cloths and attitude I'm still gonna be called out because of my size. I dont know many girls taller than me, all the women in my family are short and I feel I will always stand out. I havent even started to truly go through the process of becoming my true self, and this seemingly insurmountable issue makes just want to break down and give up. It really hurts knowing that I wont be able to enjoy really enjoy heels without sticking out like a sore thumb ;(

I certainly want to dispell the myth about wearing heals. Not that I wish for Lizzie to bump her head.

I wear my 6" skyscraper stilettos with pride and grace. "But Jody you're so tall, why do you wear such tall heels?" with a grand arm gesture I say,"So I can look out over all the little people and thank them for my success!" Giggle.

I work many public events, some as many as 200,000 or more patrons. I see so many confident, elegant very tall cis women in heels of all sizes and shapes. I'm talking en mass.

As a child, I always wanted to be six feet tall, considered tall back then. I grew to exactly six feet tall. I was overjoyed when they measured me recently at the hospital ER to find I am now officially five foot eleven. Not so tall compared to young women in our new age. Seems like HRT and age shrunk me.

That one inch differential between my old masculinity and my new femininity is a joy all in my head. The rest of the world just sees the big old broad.

As I came out enfem, with my big shoulders, I raced to cut every shoulder pad from my tops. These days I can wear them either way. That in a very short four years.

Puberty in natal females lasts five to seven years, sometimes more. You won't escape that either. The changes until then are nothing short of miraculous! Hug. JodyAnn

I grew up being the tallest in my family, and reached six feet, zero inches by the time I was seventeen. However spinal compression over the decades dropped me an inch, and a half, then loss of muscle from HRT dropped another half inch. I am tied for second tallest of the girls at work at 5'10", my friend/co-worker Katie is the tallest at 5'11". I feel completely comfortable as a five foot ten inch woman, and no longer worry about being too tall to transition, it kinda isn't a worry because I have been full time for over a year, lol. I am quite a bit taller than my boyfriend Alex, but he is built like a Russian power lifter, so he makes me look so dainty in comparison. :)

hugs,

Stephanie

• Forum Moderator

Kitten heels! Not too tall but heels nonetheless. You get the posture change and heel sounds when you walk. And they aren't so tall that they're hard to walk in. A win-win situation.

Jani

• Forum Moderator

I saw my friend again today at the market. She always stands out not just because she is tall but because she dresses so well. I said hi (not high) and commented her on her great outfit. She turned to me and said you "always look great as well but you should wear higher heels." I used to do that at the club scene but today at 67 my toes seem to like to spread out and take it easy. A low heal as Jani mentioned is enough to make this gal feel just fine. I was dancing in the isles to the old rock tunes they play and feeling just lovely about life.

Hugs,

Charlize

Hi!

This has been on my mind also. I'm 6'1.75" and I have a habit of slouching. Either standing or sitting. I feel like I stand out in a crowd. But, there's hope.

I'm just have to remember something I heard/read recently

Stand up straight, shoulders back, chin up and boobs out!

I shouldn't be hiding myself!

Now, if the rest of me would follow suit that would be great!