• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Florida Republican introduces anti Transgender Bill

Guest April Kristie

Makes me wonder just why some people are so extreme on this issue. At least most of the comments are positive. Will he fund bathroom police to check DNA?

Mia

Like most political pieces I don't put much trust in them stating an objective view and expect something about 95% spin. So always go to the actual events. Especially when there are no quotes supporting the assertion although quotes don't necessarily tell the full story.

In this case however they do seem to accurately state the situation. At least as applies to restrooms that are not signal stall or "family restrooms".

The language in the bill, the key factor I think is in the definitions that state:

(d) "Sex" means a person's biological sex, either male or female, at birth. For purposes of this paragraph, the term "male" means a person born as a biological male and the term "female" means a person born as a biological female.

Oh well, this stuff seems to get more common. People wanted more awareness, and this is a predictable result especially with the overreaching attempts to insure transgender protections, particularly as it relates to womens spaces (restrooms, locker rooms, etc) extended beyond those who were transitioning for medical need but to non-transitioners and even part time crossdressers.

I said this sort of reaction was the natural outcome of such overreaching and "the pervy obsession" over restroom issues years ago and it is happening.

I've been saying for a long time that the belief that more awareness was the solution is a misguided notion. At least for those who wanted to change gender roles and just to be seen as their preferred gender. Because more awareness, while seemingly helpful during transition, makes it much harder to just live in their new gender role. Since transition is mostly a fairly short term period, does it make sense to make that easier at the expense of post transition life? It isn't possible to have it both ways.

There are those who do identify as transgender and live what I guess would be a transgender lifestyle. I can certainly understand wanting awareness in that circumstance. I think it is just one of those cases where needs are mutually exclusive.

• Admin

I said this sort of reaction was the natural outcome of such overreaching and "the pervy obsession" over restroom issues years ago and it is happening.

I've been saying for a long time that the belief that more awareness was the solution is a misguided notion.

I don't agree that hysteria, lies and rabble rousing are the "natural outcome" of wanting reasonable rights, like the right to pee in a public restroom. Not any more than it was the natural outcome of Black Americans demanding access to a public lunch counter or public restroom, or not having to sit at the back of a bus. It is an outcome that only exists in some places in America, not all, and where ultra conservatives seem to have political sway It is an outcome that will diminish over time, as, yes, awareness, understanding, and education reveal that hysteria to be what it is.

How does one prove "medical necessity" when one has to go pee, Drea? If someone is presenting female, or an FtM presenting male, shall we carry a "medical necessity" card from our doctor? In the years prior to my orchiectomy, should I not have been able to use a women's restroom? What is "overreaching," when it comes to human rights?

Carolyn Marie

I think drea's point is that before big trans awareness no one would have even thought to check if the person using the bathroom was born the correct sex or not. It simply would have been taken for granted. Now, thanks to the larger visibility of trans people there is also a larger part of the population scared to death over men in dressed hiding out in ladies rooms ready to rape whomever comes in. Of course, this fear affects the people who are earliest in transition and least passable.

And there has been a small tendency in the community to err on the side of "it doesn't matter how I present, I still have the right to use the facilities with which I identify". Which is problematic, and also plays directly into those fears.

I think the rhetoric of "human rights" can be stretched too far.

In other words, transgender people largely had the right to use the restroom of their choice before there was large trans awareness - even if it wasn't codified - because no one would think to check whether than masculine looking woman had the right parts. By our insistence on codifying it (which, granted has been necessary in other parts of life) had naturally brought strong resistance from the large segment of the population who is outraged by our very existence. And insistence on the the most liberal definitions of gender and sex only exacerbates the issue.

Not sure what the alternative is, but I think it's pretty easy to see how awareness is very much a double edged sword. Especially after transition.

• Admin

I find an amusing intersection of events here that may have some play in what happens. The city of Ft. Lauderdale FL pursued the Southern Comfort Conference which is one of the premiere TG conferences in the U.S. to relocate to Ft. L. from Atlanta GA. This bill, if enacted, would have a financial impact to the TG tourism in general that Ft. Lauderdale is trying to promote. While I was at SCC last September, the Ft. Lauderdale tourism director who was there selling the city boasted of potential revenue that we would produce to the city and surrounding area. Let's see how the bucks talk since this would totally be a shut-off valve on cash.

I have seen some other analyses of this bill on other sites I am on, including critiques by an RL friend who is an attorney for a Florida equal rights organization, and while they do not want it enacted, it will not be practically enforceable.

The proof is in the prediction. The prediction was made and it has come to fruition.

Pretty much anyone medically transitioning gender roles is going to have medical professional involved. Carry letters were and still are commonplace and can be used for those 0.01% of the time where simple discretion fails and a question may be raised.

But realistically, the issue with the restrooms has never seriously been about those medically transitioning. And I feel generally the public doesn't have much issue with it. The issue is the advocates lump those with medical need, in face exploit those with the medical need to justify a much larger agenda that would include recreational crossdressers or anyone simply wants to make the claim of identity. In my opinion that is an entirely different issue that should be argued on its own merits.

And yes Ky_Ki is correct that before todays level of awareness it was far less likely for anyone using the restroom to be even questions. Trans awareness = increased probability as being identified as trans. Which is part of it.

These things end up coming up because there is a sensitivity and they gain traction. The trans community, well at least the advocates insistence that there is no concern, that nothing ever happens (even though there have been incidents), insistence that there been no fraud protections in any laws raises questions. And not just questions by the ultra conservatives and religious right, but among mainstream women and even some ultra left women.

People are not stupid out there. They see the difference between what makes sense to allow for one going thru a medical change as the advocates claim the need is for verses what the advocates ask for which is a barn door much wider than needed for the claimed need. That just kills credibility and the backlash will become worse and from more sectors.

What bothers me more than anything is the loss of lots of good will and benefits obtained by good reasoned lobbying in the past. Benefits that I enjoyed that are being lost to the modern day transitioner in favor for what is quite arguably a more hostile environment and one much harder to move on into post transition life.

Personally I see little chance for this bill to get anyplace but we will see.

• Forum Moderator

I just copied this from a post covering the same idiot. I think we have to remember that this is a proposed bill not a fait accompli.

"Drop your trousers or raise your skirts before entering the restroom. Is it that or perhaps a national identity card controlled by Florida? My passport would get me in. Maybe universal genital checks will get this character some votes."

Hugs,

Charlize

I think it's worth noting that crazy bills are proposed all the time in Florida, as well as the rest of country. Some completely even more bat-crap crazy than this one. They usually don't go anywhere, and I seriously doubt this one will either. It's completely unenforceable.

Guest LesleyAnne

Crazy bills seem to be a Republican/TeaParty calling card. They love the attention it gets them, it rallies their constituents wearing the tin hats, and it will most surely get them re-elected so they can continue proposing the idiocy they call legislation.

Republicans seem to like the fringe, it;s the only way they can get the votes to get elected, and re-elected.

The thing about bringing Transgender to the forefront..........

Yes it is causing the pot to boil, the backlash, the crazy religious nuts, and the paranoid to be awakened to the threat of our presence, and possible invasion of their purity......BUT! You can't get any thing changed by being quiet and sitting in the corner. Nobody is going to give us our due without a fight. Remember......Women can now vote, so can African Americans (although I think if the Republicans could change that they'd do it in a heartbeat!), but that didn't happen without a fight.

I guess you could say everything would be okay if you'd just know your place, and stay there, and keep quiet!

Guest April Kristie

I fully hope that this bill dies a quick death. Women do not need a law that could be held as a trump card over someone who is "questionable" in their eyes. After all they can always scream at the top of their lungs "there's a man in the ladies". At 6'8" I cringe at the possibility, having just moved to Republican Florida.

Guest Sarah Faith

Drea makes a lot of good points and I agree with the majority of what she is saying.

As someone who is not "out and proud" about my history, and someone who doesn't go around marching in pride parades.. The whole awareness stuff seems more detrimental to me than it does helpful. I can't really say I've had my right trampled on for being trans even when I was in the early transition stages no one really cared. Which was fine with me, I'm not someone who wants to have an indepth conversation about my trans status with random people. Anyways, I really have always encountered that as long as I didn't make a big deal out of it, or act like it was weird or embarrassing other people would pick up on that body language; They would see it wasn't this huge deal to me and move past it.

Crazy bills seem to be a Republican/TeaParty calling card. They love the attention it gets them, it rallies their constituents wearing the tin hats, and it will most surely get them re-elected so they can continue proposing the idiocy they call legislation.

Republicans seem to like the fringe, it;s the only way they can get the votes to get elected, and re-elected.

The thing about bringing Transgender to the forefront..........

Yes it is causing the pot to boil, the backlash, the crazy religious nuts, and the paranoid to be awakened to the threat of our presence, and possible invasion of their purity......BUT! You can't get any thing changed by being quiet and sitting in the corner. Nobody is going to give us our due without a fight. Remember......Women can now vote, so can African Americans (although I think if the Republicans could change that they'd do it in a heartbeat!), but that didn't happen without a fight.

I guess you could say everything would be okay if you'd just know your place, and stay there, and keep quiet!

The problem with that logic is that always being outraged and turning everything into an us vs them mentality is that you burn a lot of bridges. By fighting that way, waggling your finger with self righteousness, pushes a lot of people that might otherwise be swayed with time and reason into a defensive corner where they hold onto their old positions JUST to spite you. You gotta remember that the civil rights movements worked with a wide base of people, and they fought with a message of largely pacifism and from the bible. Aimless outrage will only get the community so far... at some point you have to prove peoples negative expectations wrong rather than try to slam everything into their faces.

Like Drea said, lots of awareness is great for people who are living the transgender lifestyle, but for those of who are just wanting to settle into a binary normative identity it's more of an annoyance than anything else.

Guest Motormouth18

Stuff like this is why I try my hardest to avoid public restrooms, except in local places where people know me. Why? I sometimes pass too well at times. Many times I've been told to get out of the ladies' restroom because I look too manly. Of course, when I fold my arms underneath my boobs for emphasis, they apologize. I'm scared of using the men's restroom unless it's a single one. I've done it in the past before I developed because well, I'm not waiting in lines for the ladies, but now, I'm not stupid. What can I do? When I hear whispers, I ignore them and carry on.

I'll never understand the importance of separate restrooms when they all have stalls.

Guest Silentium

Alright, this is more on the awareness topic than bills, but I want to share how things are often going here.

Child comes out. The parents say: "Welp, we know that transgender people exist, but you are not one of them. We would have known since childhood. You didn't ask to call you a masculine name. You didn't ask to wear pants. You liked the boy next door. You played with dolls. Think again and think wise, don't spoil your life."

Some guys are on HRT already, and is still considered an infantile girl who just got carried away in a play-pretend.

Guest LizMarie

Whining about the fact that the public is now trans-aware and wishing it were not so is about as useful as wishing Christopher Columbus had not discovered North America, so as to spare the native Americans from what followed.

The transgender genie is not going back into the bottle, ever, so all such discussions are irrelevant and useless.

There are exactly two paths going forward from here. I don't care if you dislike these are the only two paths but they are the only two paths.

• You can abstain from action and allow the bigots to define you and every other trans person in this country, even perhaps criminalizing your very existence.
  • Or, you can choose to get involved. You can be "out" and active on these issues, or you can quietly from the background support those who are active on these issues in defending our legal rights. But either of those options is involvement.

There are no other choices, period, end of discussion.

Let's stop wasting time and bandwidth on history that we cannot change.

And I remind each of you that failing to choose is still a choice.

Maybe you didn't pick this battle. Maybe you would prefer this battle not be upon us. Maybe you are justifiably critical of those who brought this battle upon us. But you do not get to define the actions of our opponents. They do. Your ire at other transgender people won't calm our opponents. There is not a level of "selling out" far enough that you can do that will quell our opponents at this point in time. We either fight this battle and win or we fight (or fail to fight) and lose.

I leave you with wise words from a fictional story but which are true and applicable to us today, especially if you are transgender.

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

So... two paths, two choices, choose wisely.

P.S. I lived through the civil rights era. If anyone really thinks it was accomplished solely because of peaceful protests, then I suggest studying history yet again. American cities burned multiple summers in the 1960s. Riots raged. And the white majority finally took notice when things got inconvenient enough to force them to notice. Yes, much of the civil rights work was done via peaceful protests but not all of it. It was a very complicated and unstable period in our history. Let's not grossly oversimplify it, please.

But the thing is we do get to define the actions of the opponents. The way we approach asking/demanding our rights directly influences their reaction. Continuing to cast them as evil, religious bigots that are our mortal enemies in a war is bound to make them become extremely defensive, and stick in their heels further. They're not evil, they've been raised differently and literally just don't get it. And anytime we as a community do something rash, or push for the most liberal definitions possible were just playing right into their fears.

You're right the civil rights movement had a lot of violence. But that violence earned those African Americans zero respect. Whites could just point to them and say, "see...savages, why should we give them equal rights?" You know who did get respect? Martin Luther King. You know who got his ideas taken seriously? That guy.

The best strategy is to befriend your opposition...not to fight them harder.

Guest LizMarie

See my signature for what Martin Luther King said himself about freedom and oppressors, Kira. If you're going to quote MLK, then let's quote everything he said, right? And if there are those who refuse to be befriended by us? What then?

So let's talk about what MLK actually did say about various points along this particular road.

A right delayed is a right denied.” ― Martin Luther King Jr

How long should transgender people "work" for their rights? A minute? A day? A week? A month? A year? A decade? A century? When you frame the question like that, the absurdity of "working with" people whose stated goals are to oppress you is revealed for the ridiculousness that it actually is.

Second, nowhere have I ever advocated violence. And I know many activists in the community and none of those I know or have met advocate violence. That's a non-sequitur. However I also know for a fact that violence in the 1960s did hasten change. You can try to deny that but it did. Multiple historians write about this.

However, with regards to transgender rights, I simply acknowledge that there are those who will never admit our side of the issue. So what we need to do is ignore the bigots. And they are bigots. Sugar coating it doesn't change anything. They're not going to like you, no matter how far you bend over and kiss their backside. Blacks didn't marginalize racists by befriending them. They urged people to ridicule them, to challenge them, to not cooperate with them. We're not done with racism in this country but what strides we made did not come from befriending the KKK.

What we need to do is work with the large body of people in the middle, who have been largely indifferent, neither for us or against us. We need to demonstrate that the aims and goals of the bigots are goals of bigotry. And using sarcasm, parody, and pointed humor to attack the hypocrisy of those advocating these positions is just one means of doing so. We need to show them that we are just human beings who just want to live our lives. From Lynn Conway to Dr. Marci Bowers to Dr. Christine McGinn to Laverne Cox to Janet Mock to Nikki Lloyd to untold numbers of others, we need to demonstrate that we are simply human beings who want to live our lives peacefully and quietly.

Another bill to re-criminalize transgender persons using the correct restrooms was defeated in Colorado this week. What did one Hispanic representative say about that bill?

"The reasons for non-desegregating in the 1950s and '60s was because Mexicans and blacks somehow were sexual perverts. I'm offended by this bill, because this is rinse-and-repeat prejudice." - Representative Joe Salazar.

That was this week. A Hispanic politician this week recognized that the exact same arguments used against Hispanics and blacks in the 1950s are the arguments being used against LGBT people today. Did you get that? Back in the 1950s, the arguments against equal rights for people of color were that they would molest white women and were perverts. Now where have we heard that same retread song again? Oh yeah! ...

And what did MLK say about caving in? About "going along to get along"?

"Another way is to acquiesce and to give in, to resign yourself to the oppression. Some people do that. They discover the difficulties of the wilderness moving into the promised land, and they would rather go back to the despots of Egypt because it’s difficult to get in the promised land. And so they resign themselves to the fate of oppression; they somehow acquiesce to this thing. But that too isn't the way because non-cooperation with evil is as much a moral obligation as is cooperation with good." - MLK, Jr.

MLK never talked about befriending your enemies. He talked about non-cooperation, civil disobedience, and loving your enemy. But loving your enemy doesn't mean excusing their words or behavior.

Again, MLK, Jr: "To accept passively an unjust system is to cooperate with that system; thereby the oppressed become as evil as the oppressor. Non-cooperation with evil is as much a moral obligation as is cooperation with good. The oppressed must never allow the conscience of the oppressor to slumber. Religion reminds every man that he is his brother's keeper. To accept injustice or segregation passively is to say to the oppressor that his actions are morally right. It is a way of allowing his conscience to fall asleep. At this moment the oppressed fails to be his brother's keeper. So acquiescence-while often the easier way-is not the moral way. It is the way of the coward."

MLK sure wasn't pulling punches there and he declared those oppressors "evil" again and again and again. You can find multiple places where MLK calls the oppressors evil. I guess making them defensive didn't work for MLK, did it? Oh, but it did work, didn't it?

He even had words that applied to our fight for proper health care: "Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in healthcare is the most shocking and inhumane."

MLK, Jr. would never have advocated a policy of "don't ask; don't tell" or "go along to get along". He would have advocated open and public and visible resistance and non-cooperation to the oppressors out there. He would have advocated legislative and judicial action against the oppressors. So the argument that we should return to "the good ole days" when trans people were invisible not only is not even possible (you can't undo what's been done) but it flies directly in the face of what civil rights leaders like MLK would have advocated.

First off I didn't quote him. I said he was respected by most everyone, even the many in power who disagreed with him.

Second, I'm not saying trans people should roll over, I'm saying that respect for the opposing viewpoint and concerns (particularly of those in the middle) is if utmost importance. If you start throwing the word "bigot" around the vast majority of America that is concerned but not intrinsically opposed, or demanding step 20 before step 3 you risk alienating many of them because of your "cis-hate". It's the same reason feminism has so many problems getting people, particularly men, to support it. It's too easy for their message to be dismissed as "man-hate" and their attitude is largely "if you don't agree or understand us it's your fault for not educating yourself."

That logic is bullcrap. I'm not advocating for us to go back to a time where trans people were invisible. But it is a double edged sword that does inevitably raise strong opposition, including from the middle. It's not just extreme right wing ultra conservatives and religious zealots that have issues with the idea of someone not born with their parts using the same restroom or undressing in the same space. Instead of just dismissing anyone with these reservations as bigots, acting as if they should just accept something they've been taught to find deeply disturbing and playing into their fears by advocating for the most liberal definitions of gender possible (I present as a guy, but I feel like a girl today, I'm using the ladies - don't pretend that there isn't a large faction of the community advocating this) - we should instead try to acknowledge their feelings, validate them, and then calmly try to explain why the logic is flawed.

Would this work with the guy who proposed the bill? Probably not, but it would work on the much larger majority of people who are reasonable. Not everyone is a coastal liberal who will just immediately accept new definitions of gender because some academic and cultural elites say so.

Guest LesleyAnne

First of all logic is an individual perspective, so to call someones logic a problem?

Secondly there was no rage intimated, just activism ("to fight" is a figure of speech), and that would be an individual choice as well, so I respect anyone that wishes to only observe, rather than protest, and expect the same.

And thirdly the Civil rights of the 60's was far from peaceful (you'd have to have lived through it rather than read a paragraph in a history book), riots were an almost everyday experience shown on the nightly news, and it started with a handful of people open confrontation (several young men at a "whites only diner" defying the law who sat down at the counter to order food). It spread from city to city, and grew to large numbers (we honestly don't know how many Transgendered people are out there). Many people died protesting the civil rights of the sixties, and unfortunately we are still not at a place where we can say we are all equal under the law.

In "MY" humble opinion complacency is not going to help our rights as a Transgendered people, but I respect your right to sit and watch.

Guest LesleyAnne

Just a little side bar here.......

I have yet to see 'one' Liberal Democratic legislator propose a bill such as this one!

I'm sure there are self described liberals out there that believe we should not have the right, but again I have yet to see one that has proposed such a TIN HAT bill!

It's not that I'm advocating we do nothing, just that we stop viewing people that have opinions we don't like, or have valid concerns as evil bigots who are incapable of listening to reason. The vast majority of people that question us are in fact not evil or bigoted, they simply lack experiences and examples of the community not influenced by damaging, stereotypical media portrayals

The logic that people should just educate themselves and that the minority has no responsibility to inform the majority IS flawed. A complacent majority has no incentive to educate itself, especially when it thinks it knows everything.

Finally, at no point did I say the 60s civil rights movement was all peaceful. I said that the peaceful protestors were the ones that received respect. Who got to go to Washington or talk to representatives of congress? Not the ones starting riots, destroying property, etc. sitting in at a lunch counter IS a peaceful protest....they didn't attack the owners the owners (and patrons) attacked them. Completely different dynamic (not sure which specific example you're talking about, but this was certainly the case in at least a few).

Furthermore, I know I brought up MLK and I sort of regret it now, but really the civil rights movement of the 60s and the lgbt rights movement of today are hardly comparable things - for the most part a trans person (in America at least) can currently lead a fairly normal life. We can go almost anywhere without fear of being violently kicked out and indeed can patron most any business. Most of the population accepts our existence. Even of those that don't, only a small minority would pose any threat. While there are still attitudes to change, and legal protections to win, we are so much better off than African Americans in the 60s that it is just not that fair of a comparison to make.

Guest Sarah Faith

First of all logic is an individual perspective, so to call someones logic a problem?

Secondly there was no rage intimated, just activism ("to fight" is a figure of speech), and that would be an individual choice as well, so I respect anyone that wishes to only observe, rather than protest, and expect the same.

And thirdly the Civil rights of the 60's was far from peaceful (you'd have to have lived through it rather than read a paragraph in a history book), riots were an almost everyday experience shown on the nightly news, and it started with a handful of people open confrontation (several young men at a "whites only diner" defying the law who sat down at the counter to order food). It spread from city to city, and grew to large numbers (we honestly don't know how many Transgendered people are out there). Many people died protesting the civil rights of the sixties, and unfortunately we are still not at a place where we can say we are all equal under the law.

In "MY" humble opinion complacency is not going to help our rights as a Transgendered people, but I respect your right to sit and watch.

I don't sit and watch, I just don't believe activism is that great. Also as I have stated before I refuse to stand in solidarity with anyone for any reason. I just believe that activism is more of a self serving mechanism that hides under the guise of "protecting other peoples rights". I faced the fact a long time ago that the majority of people with modern activism is thinking of them selves first and foremost and I just want no part of it.

What I do participate in is helping actual people. Be it individually, or through working on a trans focused charity foundation. I'd rather directly make people's lives through direct action, then hanging out on the sidelines and cheering or heckling politicians based on their position. Just my view of thing though.