• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Going to the Gym Dressed

Guest Kayla Grace

Guest Kayla Grace

Hi All

The title says it all. I think I mainly haven't been going simply because presenting female would be a very difficult thing. If it were just straight weight training, it wouldn't be so bad. But those interval training regime gets very ... bouncy. My wig is synthetic, so tying it back wouldn't keep it there for long.

I'm not expecting anyone to have an answer. I just figured I'd try my luck :D

God Bless

Kayla <3

Guest Kaylee

Nope... Sorry. No answer. I get around it with a total gym, an exercise bike, and a tv with dvd workouts. On another note, the nearest gym is 7 miles away.

Good luck honey :)

Kay

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Considering what just happened at a Planet Fitness (I linked the article in the MTF forum), I'd personally be cautious if just starting transition. There seems to be a recent wave of trans-panic going around, even in accepting places like PF with their "no judgement zone". But I don't think there are Planet Fitness up in Canada, so use your best judgement. (I'm a chicken and always err on the side of caution, personally)

Hi Kayla,

I do empathize with you, I don't go to a gym, but I do ride a bike for long distances. On breezy days my hair blows around a lot, and when I hit bumps I am thankful for the bra support. I frequently need to pull my hair out of my eyes, but I am kinda used to that since I have had long hair for many years. I suspect that you will get used to it, and use the opportunity to flick your hair back in a sexy feminine fashion. :thumbsup:

hugs,

Stephanie

Guest Kayla Grace

Considering what just happened at a Planet Fitness (I linked the article in the MTF forum), I'd personally be cautious if just starting transition. There seems to be a recent wave of trans-panic going around, even in accepting places like PF with their "no judgement zone". But I don't think there are Planet Fitness up in Canada, so use your best judgement. (I'm a chicken and always err on the side of caution, personally)

I talked to my gym about my transition long before the PF incident, and they opened up a staff bathroom for me with lockers in it until I'm further along into transition. That's good enough for me. I don't like changing in front of other people anyways.

I'd say you're no chicken, just smart. As an aspiring officer and even before, I was the very definition of caution.

Nope... Sorry. No answer. I get around it with a total gym, an exercise bike, and a tv with dvd workouts. On another note, the nearest gym is 7 miles away.

Good luck honey :)

Kay

Lucky you. Can I come over and use it sometime??

Hi Kayla,

I do empathize with you, I don't go to a gym, but I do ride a bike for long distances. On breezy days my hair blows around a lot, and when I hit bumps I am thankful for the bra support. I frequently need to pull my hair out of my eyes, but I am kinda used to that since I have had long hair for many years. I suspect that you will get used to it, and use the opportunity to flick your hair back in a sexy feminine fashion. :thumbsup:

hugs,

Stephanie

It won't be so bad when I grow my own hair out. It's just the dang synthetic hair that doesn't stay. Like I said before, weight training wouldn't be that bad with my wig and breast forms on. But interval training can get very bouncy. I use the elliptical, so I can experiment and see if I can control the "bounce" ... I just feel uncomfortable not wearing my breast forms now. And when I went to get subway the other day after the gym, the server wouldn't stop calling me "sir" when he asked me questions. ugh.

I suppose I'll have to suck up male mode for the gym until my hair grows out. It's not there, but it's closer then it was yesterday. I'm almost at my ideal fat level. I need to work on my stamina and endurance; it's dropped drastically I find. I'll need it for the physical testing for both the CPA and police training, and for my own personal fitness level and fat content. Plus, I promised you to be in the best shape I possibly can for HRT, Stephie :)

God Bless

Kayla <3

Guest Sarah Faith

I'd probably echo Liz' statements. I wouldn't really until further along in transition or until you know you can handle whatever may or may not happen. I was at one point really hesitant about going into a gym especially early on in transition, but now Its not really a big deal.. you get more confident and then its not a big deal.. plus as you get further along in transition there isnt too much that gives you away..

• Forum Moderator

And when I went to get subway the other day after the gym, the server wouldn't stop calling me "sir" when he asked me questions. ugh.

This can be annoying, of course the real fix is to not present anything male, but sometimes, ya know.... one possible way to politely deflect this that I have used when in that "twighlight" existence. Smiling and looking him straight in the eye, I would say something to the effect of "I'm sorry sir, you are calling out for something that is simply not there, would you like me to try and fake it for you ?"

Like Kaylee above - I don't use gym memberships, I get all my exercise with home equipment and out with swift walking (it's a social event).

Good luck with your exercise goals Kayla.

C -

Guest Kayla Grace

I'd probably echo Liz' statements. I wouldn't really until further along in transition or until you know you can handle whatever may or may not happen. I was at one point really hesitant about going into a gym especially early on in transition, but now Its not really a big deal.. you get more confident and then its not a big deal.. plus as you get further along in transition there isnt too much that gives you away..

It's not that I'm not confident (okay, maybe just a small portion is) as it is that some of the "female traits" would just plain get in the way. Males tend to stare at females especially those "sweating in the cardio room", so I'd be under extreme pressure to pass well. I'm not afraid of getting clocked; it's happened before - By a police officer actually, if you've been following my "so nervous for tonight" topic - and I've accepted that those in early transition are going to get clocked. I also have no issue reporting any harassment I encounter to the staff and to the gym owner. What I'll likely do, is start phasing in clothes to get confidence. I wore my ladies tshirt to the gym the other day and not one person stared at me (that I know of), or said anything regarding it. If I ever wear my breast forms, I'll have to make sure those puppies are strapped tight so they don't fall out. I think I'd die of embarrassment if that happened!

This can be annoying, of course the real fix is to not present anything male, but sometimes, ya know.... one possible way to politely deflect this that I have used when in that "twighlight" existence. Smiling and looking him straight in the eye, I would say something to the effect of "I'm sorry sir, you are calling out for something that is simply not there, would you like me to try and fake it for you ?"

He was foreign and I was unfortunately not presenting female, so saying that would have likely confused him. It still felt like a huge slap across the face everytime to said it though - which was basically everytime he spoke. I can't blame him for addressing me by gender, we can't all say "would you like that toasted, sir or madam, whichever you self identify as?". I don't think even I would be able to do that.

I think what I'll do, is just go as male (ugh) for now. I'll let the gym know I might be coming dressed since I have to sign in with a gym tag and doing so brings up a picture. Once my hair grows out, maybe I'll start presenting female at the gym with breast forms and everything.

I find it funny, someone that knew me as male before, seen me dressed for the first time with my wig and forms but no makeup, told me that I was passing better then people further along in transition then me and even ones younger that he's seen :blink: He even thought I was on HRT :blink: . Win?

God Bless

Kayla <3

Guest Kayla Grace

Oh, just a little correction

I talked to my gym about my transition long before the PF incident, and they opened up a staff bathroom for me with lockers in it until I'm further along into transition. That's good enough for me. I don't like changing in front of other people anyways.

When I talked to them about it again, they mentioned that I could use the staff room "until I was comfortable enough". She said that there were private stalls in the women's room too, so no waiting until post op! :D

God Bless

Kayla <3