• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Discrimination

Guest Angelgrlsue

Guest Angelgrlsue

Hi everyone, it has been a long time since I have been here and my first post I wish was not on this subject but it does need to be addressed. I hope this is the correct place to post it as well.

In November 2014 I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. The doctor performed a TURB (Trans Urethral Resection Bladder) and removed most of the cancerous tumor. The pathology results came back with Aggressive T2 High Grade Bladder Cancer. My doctor informed me that I will need to begin an intense 3 month chemotherapy regimen followed by surgery, removal of the bladder, lymph nodes. I began chemo in January of this year and just finished my regimen. During March 11 2014, while I was undergoing chemotherapy I encountered a reaction to one of the medications. I began to have seizure like symptoms and was unable to speak, body trembling and sweating profusely. The doctor had me rushed to Urgent care and they proceeded to order tests on me for a stroke. All tests came back negative. The Urgent care doctor still wanted to check on me so he had me stay overnight in the hospital for observation. This when things started to turn ugly.

When I arrived on the floor of the hospital where I was staying the nurses greeted me and motioned to the orderly where my room was. They had me in a private room. Please note, in my medical records it does say that I am transsexual. When I was settled in my room, several nurses came in and asked my friend if she could step out for a moment, they wanted to put a hospital gown on me, since I was unable to speak still I was not able to say anything. They then closed the door to the room and proceeded to undress me discreetly. One nurse asked if I wanted my bra on or off, I was able to at least say off to her. She did so and then another nurse began to take my panties off without even asking me. The nurse that took my bra off touched my bottom with both hands and spread my cheeks, she said that she was checking for a rash. I was completely humiliated, felt violated and helpless since I was unable to say anything. The nurses then put the hospital gown on my and left the room. My friend came back in and noticed that I was not doing so well but was unaware of what went on in the room when she was asked to leave the room. It was not until the next day that I was able to inform her. The next day is also when my rights as a woman were violated. All of my medical history was shared with everyone on the floor and even the kitchen staff. They all started addressing me as "sir", "he", "him", "man". I tried to correct them with the proper pronouns, yet they still addressed me as a male even though it plainly states on my medical records that I am female, even my hospital bracelet states female. My friend ended up stepping out and confronting my charge nurse and asking why this was happening and addressing the issue with her. The charge nurse stated that some of the procedures I had done in the past before I began my transition would only pertain to a male. That gave them no reason to share this information to everyone on the floor and address me as a male. The charge nurse had nothing to say. I left the hospital that afternoon.

I have since made a formal complaint to the hospital's patient advocate and they are investigating the circumstance. I also informed my Oncologist of what went on and he said that he would look into it as well. I have sent a detailed letter to the hospital administrator and the department of health, along with the patient rights and privacy form with circled areas of where my rights were violated. I have not consulted a lawyer, since I want to resolve this without legal assistance right now. If nothing does get resolved then I will consider legal help. I have been an emotional wreck from all this, getting better though. Thank you for reading and listening.

Angelgrlsue

• Forum Moderator

I'm so sorry for your sickness first and secondly for the terrible treatment you received at the hospital. I cannot speak about how the treatment of the admitting nurses. It is certainly possible that they were doing normal intake procedure for someone who has endured the medical treatments you have suffered through. I will speak about the lack of respect they showed you. That is shameful! I had some of that (only outside in the hall) in one hospital i was in following a heart attack. The second hospital got it right and bent over backwards to treat me with respect. I certainly would complain. At the very least the hospital should realize the harm it does their patients to be treated with so little understanding.

Hopefully your health will improve and you won't have to even worry about a hospital for a very long time.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Angelgrlsue

Thank you Charlize, I sent the hospital administrator a guide on how to treat and respect the transgendered and hopefully he will distribute this to the nursing staff, actually the entire hospital for that matter, they all need to be educated.

Angelgrlsue

• Admin

Angelgrlsue, I am sorry that you've been ill, and you have my best wishes for a complete recovery and good health.

What happened to you is shameful, and I applaud your taking a strong stand against it and fighting for your rights. You've contacted all the right people and organizations, and I hope that they take it seriously and get back to you promptly. The hospital needs to have some training done of their staff, and that should be the beginning, not the end of the process. You should talk with a local LGBT center about offering to train them. I would also send a copy of your letters to the Transgender Law Center in San Francisco. They can further advise you on your rights. I wish you luck.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Stay strong Sis!

Like I really need to remind you to do that.

Sorry for all of your troubles, we've talked about that already in PMs but i wanted to tell you here just how proud I am of you.

The tendency is to want to walk away and just forget about these things when they happen but you have taken the bigger step to bring this to the attention of the people who can make changes - it's something that will help the next transperson in that hospital.

Education is the key and you are supplying them with valuable knowledge.

Keep up the good work, love ya sis,

Sally

Guest Angelgrlsue

Thank you Carolyn and Sally. That is a good idea Carolyn about sending a letter to the Transgender Law Center, I will do that as well and send one to my local LGBT center. This hospital is one of the top 10 best hospitals in America according to News and World Report magazine, I believe that is questionable.

AngelgrlSue

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 133 Guests (See full list)

• KathyLauren
    • Cyndee
    • MaybeRob
    • Karen Carey
    • Ashley0616
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

taxicab
    Newest Member
    taxicab

1. Amyjay
      Amyjay
      (58 years old)
    2. bettyjean
      bettyjean
    3. Breanna
      Breanna
      (52 years old)
    4. Emily Ayla
      Emily Ayla
    5. JET182
      JET182
    • LC
      That is wonderful. Congratulations!
    • Heather Shay
      What is relaxation to you? Nature? Movie? Reading? Cuddling with a pet? Music?
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Having just a normal emotional day.
    • Heather Shay
      AMUSEMENT The feeling when you encounter something silly, ironic, witty, or absurd, which makes you laugh. You have the urge to be playful and share the joke with others. Similar words: Mirth Amusement is the emotional reaction to humor. This can be something that is intended to be humorous, like when someone tells a good joke or when a friend dresses up in a ridiculous costume. But it can also be something that you find funny that was not intended to be humorous, like when you read a sign with a spelling error that turns it into an ironic pun. For millennia, philosophers and scholars have been attempting to explain what exactly it is that makes something funny. This has led to several different theories. Nowadays, the most widely accepted one is the Incongruity Theory, which states that something is amusing if it violates our standards of how things are supposed to be. For example, Charlie Chaplin-style slapstick is funny because it violates our norms of competence and proper conduct, while Monty Python-style absurdity is funny because it violates reason and logic. However, not every standard or norm violation is necessarily funny. Violations can also evoke confusion, indignation, or shock. An important condition for amusement is that there is a certain psychological distance to the violation. One of the ways to achieve this is captured by the statement ‘comedy is tragedy plus time’. A dreadful mistake today may become a funny story a year from now. But it can also be distant in other ways, for instance, because it happened to someone you do not know, or because it happens in fiction instead of in real life. Amusement also needs a safe and relaxed environment: people who are relaxed and among friends are much more likely to feel amused by something. A violation and sufficient psychological distance are the basic ingredients for amusement, but what any one person find funny will depend on their taste and sense of humor. There are dozens of ‘humor genres’, such as observational comedy, deadpan, toilet humor, and black comedy. Amusement is contagious: in groups, people are more prone to be amused and express their amusement more overtly. People are more likely to share amusement when they are with friends or like-minded people. For these reasons, amusement is often considered a social emotion. It encourages people to engage in social interactions and it promotes social bonding. Many people consider amusement to be good for the body and the soul. By the end of the 20th century, humor and laughter were considered important for mental and physical health, even by psychoneuroimmunology researchers who suggested that emotions influenced immunity. This precipitated the ‘humor and health movement’ among health care providers who believed that humor and laughter help speed recovery, including in patients suffering from cancer1). However, the evidence for health benefits of humor and laughter is less conclusive than commonly believed2. Amusement is a frequent target of regulation: we down-regulate it by shifting our attention to avoid inappropriate laughter, or up-regulate it by focusing on a humorous aspect of a negative situation. Interestingly, amusement that is purposefully up-regulated has been found to have the same beneficial physical and psychological effects as the naturally experienced emotion. Amusement has a few clear expressions that emerge depending on the intensity of the emotion. When people are mildly amused, they tend to smile or chuckle. When amusement intensifies, people laugh out loud and tilt or bob their head. The most extreme bouts of amusement may be accompanied by uncontrollable laughter, tears, and rolling on the floor. Most cultures welcome and endorse amusement. Many people even consider a ‘good sense of humor’ as one of the most desirable characteristics in a partner. At the same time, most cultures have (implicit) rules about what is the right time and place for amusement. For example, displays of amusement may be deemed inappropriate in situations that demand seriousness or solemness, such as at work or during religious rituals.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • April Marie
      Good morning, everyone!!! Two cups of coffee in the books and I am just feeling so wonderful this morning. Not sure why, but I'm happy and smiling.   Enjoy this beautiful day!!!
    • Heather Shay
      A U.S. dollar bill can be folded approximately 4,000 times in the same place before it will tear. -You cannot snore and dream at the same time. -The average person walks the equivalent of three times around the world in a lifetime. -A hippo’s wide open mouth is big enough to fit a 4-foot-tall child in. -Chewing gum while you cut an onion will help keep you from crying.
    • Susan R
      Love it! This is great news. We need more of this to combat the excessive hate-filled rhetoric and misinformation. 👍
    • Susan R
      The experience was the same for me @April Marie. I slept much deeper and I woke up each morning feeling so much more restful sleeping with forms solidly in place. For me, wearing breast forms at night started when before I was a teenager. I had no access up to modern breast forms and certainly no way to buy mastectomy bras back then. I wore a basic bra my mom had put in a donation box and two pairs of soft cotton socks. I have some crazy memories of things I did in my youth to combat my GD but regardless, these makeshift concoctions helped me work through it all.   All My Best, Susan R🌷
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Colorado isn't exactly a Republican place, and won't become one anytime soon.  I think those folks might be better off not spending their time playing Don Quixote.    We certainly have our share of California "refugees" moving into where I live, so I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Coloradans too.  I suspect the trend over the next few years will see the blue areas getting more blue and the red areas getting more red as anybody who can relocate tries to find a place where they fit better.   
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Well, at least it'll be a place some folks could choose.  Options are a good thing.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      My family would have gobbled that jar up in a minute or two.  When we do have pickled herring, its usually for Christmas.  I didn't grow up with that particular dish, but I grew up in a Greek family so I like just about any kind of fish if I can get it.  However, ocean fish and freshwater fish taste so different.  We usually have more catfish and tilapia to eat than anything else.    What I can't quite get used to is the tons of cabbage my GF insists on eating.  When you live with a Russian, there is always cabbage soup.  Always.  When I first moved in with her, breakfast was "shchi" for soup and either bread or "kasha" which is a bowl of boiled buckwheat with butter and salt.  Those dishes can be made in any number of ways, some are better than others.  In the winter, it can even be salty and sour like kraut.  Not exactly sauerkraut, but packed in tubs with vinegar and salt so it keeps partially for the winter.  But I drew the line when the cabbage soup included pieces of fried snake one day.  😆
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.