• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Today Was Called Transgender Day Of Visibility

Sally

I didn't do a anything special today, I went to lunch with my best friend...she's MTF too.

As We were leaving the restaurant we hugged and said "I love you" to each other.

The only thing different about today was that she got back into my car and I drove her over to the place that was working on hers.

Then I posted this on my Facebook page.

Today is being called the Transgender Day of Visibility but then I'm visible every day.

No one would bother hiding their trans status if it weren't for ignorance, hatred, bigotry and violence. But those are pretty big obstacles and serve as a deterrent for openness, separating the Transgender Community from all of the others.

Think about this for a moment: The suicide rate among transgenders is reported to be about 41% - the highest of any group. How many of those are caused by fear of retribution, constant criticism, bullying - condoned by schools, political organizations and often in the name of religion and of course acts of violence.

Low self esteem and depression are prevalent in a community that is told from the beginning that there is something wrong with them, that they need to just be who everyone else wants them to be and the use of the ever popular abomination tag.

We are systematically forcing fragile people over the edge. But you see us out somewhere and you comment about how brave we are and how proud you are of us but that is only because you know the survivors, having you as friends has been a huge help for me but so many that have taken their own lives did not have the support of such amazing friends.

What do I want all of you to do? All of my friends from college and bands, all of the ones who are not a part of the transgender community - When you hear someone talking about how great the Religious Freedom laws are, just remind them of how hard we all worked to get those civil rights laws on the books back in the 60s. This is the tip of the iceberg, once you allow and actually legislate discrimination against one group it isn't hard to attach another.

I don't want to have to show my papers before I can use the bathroom - sometimes I'm in a hurry!

Thank you all for reading this rant, for being my friends and most of all I'm sure that you will remind others that no one is free when everyone isn't.

The response from my old friends from college and Jazz Bands has been amazing.

Love ya,

Sally

I wanted to add this comment from a friend of mine from college, I won't list his name but he is not a member of the LGBT Community, I think after reading this you would have to consider him an Ally.

You just live your life and stay happy, which you finally seem to be. And to hell with those who don't like it! "Stupid is as stupid does..." (Forest Gump)

Guest ArianaD

Thank you for your post. I too posted about TDOV in the coming out forum. Here is a copy of my post, there is still time to look up a bunch of these wonderful tumbr posts and show our support to people who bravely posted selfies.

copy of my post below

--------------------------------

All,

I just wanted to call out that today is Transgender Day of Visibility and Tumblr is very active with Trans Men and Women posting selfies and looking for support. Please spend some time on there liking and commenting on their posts.

You can search for tags TDOV and TRANS DAY OF VISIBILITY and such to locate more of them.

Here are links to my little contributions *shy smile*

http://ariana-tg.tum...ronouns-i-did-a

http://ariana-tg.tumblr.com/post/115169236481/one-more-because-i-wanted-to-send-the-message-that

-Ariana