• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Let's talk about GCS and Diabetes?

Does type2 Diabetes prevent me from having GCS? At what level of blood glucose rings the alarm bell?

I am taking metFormin, Lisinopril and now lately Januvia. This is inclusive of Esradiol Valerate, Progesterone, Spironolactone, Finasteride and my daily prenatal vitamin. My numbers usually run about 130-150 sometimes to my target 120 and I feel fine.

I was reading on the web how barley is supposed to lower sugar with the warning of if taking sugar medications one may have a dangerous drop so monitor carefully. I love barley! Off to the bulk store. I made some killer (maybe literally) barley vegetable beef soup that is was over the top good. I made a huge pot to eat many times and freeze the rest for later.

I gobbled a bunch all that day hypoglycemic Jody here we come! Not! I didn't feel so great. Migraine, dizzy (beyond the usual blonde), my tinnitus roaring in my ears like a fighter jet and pouring sweat like a waterfall. Not good so I monitored. I was spiking at just under 300. Scary! Was the barley a lie?

Yes I have used Chantix/Champix three times in three years, still sucking on my coffin nails. My cool aluminum 3 speed commuter tired, disc brake cruiser bike is collecting dust. I swim in the indoor pool 3-4 times a week but I'm no athlete.

I am getting so scared that not getting it under control will get me turned away from the table in Thailand. I hate to say but that may be the end of the bus line on this kid's journey. Can you suggest what foods, diet, exercise or anything I can do? Your input please. I wish I can get rid of this funk I'm in and the screaming headaches. Hug. Dizzy Jody

• Admin

A week before my SRS, I had an "a1c score of 8.2 or an average of 190 blood glucose. They still did the surgery, and it was down to a1c or 7.1, or average 158 three months after SRS. Not all surgeons will take that, but mine did, and now my blood sugar is too high again, but dropping. I am supposed to have an a1c that is <6.7 and it is at 8.2 again. Good luck, I find that what shoots other people's levels up, drops mine like a rock, and what makes them Hypo, is guaranteed to put me over 278 and keep it there.

Guest alexaz

UGGGGGGGHHHH Jody

Im so sorry my friend.

Im not a DR so I wont tell you what to do and I promised myself that I wouldn't be one of those that I hated and stand on a soap box and preach about the evils of smoking when I stopped doing it......... Day 23 for me as a non smoker.

BUT !!!!!!!

Smoking does tons of things to your body that are hard to understand and find the reason for, but its really the smoking thats doing it.

I know we are all different but for me (and I hated smoking for years ) The thing that made me quit was my HRT DR telling me she wouldn't start me on hormones until I was a non smoker for a month.

I stopped the next day. Cold turkey.

So My friend, This is DR(disclaimer) alexaz saying. We arent going to consider you for SRS until your a non smoker.

It may not be the only thing that is going on with you but Im sure it is a major thing going wrong inside of you and you know it to. (*blond or not ) giggle

Best wishes girlfriend.

alexaz

Guest Megan_Lynn

alexaz .. My endo also told me no HRT till i was a non smoker that was over 6 and a half years ago..

Have recently found out I was type 2 with a A1C of 8.2 aka 190 average.. Was given meds but have yet to take them . Instead I switched to a low glycemic diet. Have drop my average sugar to 135 for last 38 days and 127 average for past 30 days. Also have lost 21 lbs on this diet. My worst numbers now are when I wake up averaging 112-140 and mid day 84-95 and 2 hr after dinner numbers of 101-124. Have only had 4 real bad numbers in last month in over 90 checks. 1 was a 211 wake up that was able to bring down to 123 within 2 hrs time after eating a light salad. next was a very bad day of waking up to a 250 and a after dinner 192 ( no clue what caused it).. and last high number was tonight when I had a slip and ate stuff I knew better not to eat and got a 205.but had a 95 before eating. My next appointment is in July its my goal to drop anoughter 17 plus lbs before then and have an A!C in the 5 percent range. from my test numbers it looks like I should be able to achieve my goals. One months time have lowered my A1C from my test numbers from a 8.2 to a 6.05 so am closing in.. yay.. One thing I can say I regardless of meds you are taking is stay away from all carbs aka sugar, pasta, breads, rice, potatoes and high glycemic fruits and vegies like watermellon, pineapple , honeydue melon. Things that will truly help lower blood sugars are cinnamon, vinegar, walnuts,onions. I try to eat for an entire day less then 50 total carbs and most days eat less then 25 carbs.

• Admin

I can tell you what my dietitian told me: cut out the carbs, since they translate directly to sugars once eaten. Then again, my fabulous low-carb diet in conjunction with new meds only brought me down to 8.7 from 8.9, so as of Thursday I'm now on daily insulin. I'm beginning to suspect that everyone's body processes foods differently. Either way, I would recommend talking to a dietitian. Most insurance plans will cover a few meetings with one for diabetics, and mine has done a masterful job of tailoring her recommendations to my personal tastes.

Thanks. I need need to do something quick. I really feel like I am going to drop. I will have to look up low glycemic diet as I don't have a clue. It must not be vegetable soup?

I also sometimes like to buy that inexpensive ladies magazine at the grocery check stand. Each issue promises I can loose 20-30 lbs. Gee with a years subscription I could weigh nothing at all.

Then what happens if you are type1? No hope of surgery ever? JodyAnn

• Admin

Jody, I've never read anywhere that diabetes alone is a contraindication for GRS. That said, there are all kinds of complications from diabetes and related conditions that could be a factor in a doctor's decision to operate or not. So, as others have said, talk to your doctor, hon, and get the best possible advice. Getting it from us is just going to confuse you and possibly give you bad advice. It is almost never as simple as "if you have A, you can't get B."

BTW, I am insulin dependent, and it didn't keep me from getting an orchi.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Like me and my Type II, and now post op status, I do know Post-ops who are Type I. The diabetic diet in the hospital as you recover can be a bit more austere that you have at home, but I did actually have ice cream on the menu for one meal. You got the hamburger patty with lettuce and tomato, but no bun on that one if you took the ice cream. Sigh

My sugar is down to 185 today. I went shopping. It's tough to not buy processed foods. I have been doing a lot more Cinnamon, Ginger, chia, green tea, (shoot! I forgot to get old fashioned oatmeal.) Broccoli, green beans, radishes and such. I'm going to eat healthy if it kills me.

I am still holding my breath about the money and getting a letter. I had coffee with a close friend and shared my good fortune, fears and plans. He commented that this might be my one and only shot at GCS. I tend to agree.

Sitting here today I am mentality inventorying what my tools would bring at the swap meet or selling my racing leathers if I have a short fall. Hope I can find a front man friend to do the selling so prejudice won't hurt the sales. Maybe Jody is in a tizzy... Hug. JodyAnn

A week before my SRS, I had an "a1c score of 8.2 or an average of 190 blood glucose. They still did the surgery, and it was down to a1c or 7.1, or average 158 three months after SRS. Not all surgeons will take that, but mine did, and now my blood sugar is too high again, but dropping. I am supposed to have an a1c that is <6.7 and it is at 8.2 again. Good luck, I find that what shoots other people's levels up, drops mine like a rock, and what makes them Hypo, is guaranteed to put me over 278 and keep it there.

I don't really understand how a1c score and meter numbers correspond. Is an average only available from labs?

Bright spot; I road my bike 15 min up to pool, riding back and forth on most of the streets in the old folks park. Then I went swimming for twenty minutes, another same ride home. Fifteen minutes later my meter said 124. I could tell it gave me needed circulation in my legs too. Well it's a start. Jody

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

I don't really understand how a1c score and meter numbers correspond. Is an average only available from labs?

My Diabetes Handbook from my HMO has a table in it of what a1c scores mean in real life, and actually I do keep a record on my computer of my meter results. I am enough of a geek to pull that off.

Giggle, good for you Kiddo! I went to my doctor today, we discussed it. He said I was on target with 6.9 so OK I guess. Hug. JodyAnn