• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Cheaper to make a wig?

Hi All,

So my favorite wig is called the Princess Lexia (You can see in my picture gallery). I go to my local wig shop and purchase a new one about every 3 weeks at $39 a pop. Since the hair is synthetic, it tends to tangle, matte up, and wear faster than the expensive human hair wigs.

I am a licensed hairstylist, so I am open to making a human hair wig and then styling it to look like my Princess Lexia wig. Question is.... Does anyone know if its less expensive to buy the packs of human hair or just buy a premade human hair wig?

Thanks,

Milani

• 2 weeks later...

No idea on that one? Maybe you could find people who are getting drastic haircuts? Sorry I'm not much help tonight.

Post the research and findings back here. At that point you will be our go-to girl. Hug. JodyAnn

• Admin

I really have more wigs than I ever should have bought, and while I have not done it, I have seen where two actual wigs can be pieced together, and would be cheaper than just buying the hair. There are suppliers that have "wefts" that can be used for extensions that you could use. My suggestion would be to buy one HH wig and some of the extension hair that is in wefts. Here are three of my personal wig sites that do a good job of product support. Look and get ideas here.

www.wigs.com

http://www.wilshirewigs.com/

http://acewigs.com/shop/

You can add synthetic fiber to HH wigs and vice versa.

Your experience as a stylist will give you an artistic edge over what I would have.

Side note, my wigs have been mostly in the $140 - $250 range of synthetic wigs and I have some that are several years old and that look great. I do give them the same care I give my own hair. Wigs do have about 30% more fiber than they need to look good, per a friend that was a Revlon field rep for their wig department, and you can trim out some if it gets too bad. My stylist would always do some trimming for me if the ends matted up and split, but regular brushing was a bigh help.