• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Angie Zapata's Tragic Story

Guest mia 1

I know of Angie Zapata the tragic and brutal murder took place in the county North of mine.The monster drunk and a member of an outlaw motorcycle gang killed Angie and brutally beat her before she died. His lousy miserable defense is that he would have been killed by the motorcycle gang members for having sex with a man...and he freaked out when he found out Angie was a trans sexual....

Angie was a prostitute and nineteen yrs.old and was in love with the life and the person she became and she was well liked in the farming community she lived in and no one treated her badly...not until the monster destroyed her life,,and pummeled her beyond recognition.

The entire town attended her funeral and many citizens, friends and family members spoke out on her behalf...The motorcycle gang said there would have been no retribution on their member because he did not know she was a transsexual.(They are still swine) This is being prosecuted a s a hate crime but no one ever knows what the final verdict will be...YOu'll be able to follow the story with a link to the Greeley Tribune and here is the URL to follow the story http://www.google.com/search?q=Greely+Trib...amp;rlz=1I7DKUS Sad but all too often the case.

Guest bronx

that made me cry, and I just want all people to educate themselves about everyone that is different from whom they are. I'm happy that this is going to trail and will stirr up alot of things. My prayers go out to her family and all that have experienced hate in their lives.

Angel

Guest Elizabeth K

I went to the site shown and read about it. I wanted to post a reply but I got caught up in the fact that so many said it was her fault! Apparentlyly she was killed because she didn't tell a boyfriend she was trans. THAT MADE IT HER FAULT?

BS

So I had to wait a day... I am still livid! But I think perhaps the media wants me that way! Sells more papers!

So in a calmer tone - we REALLY need to discuss the whole idea of 'stealth." And is it our right to want to be what we are, regardless of our assigned sex at birth? Seems many think we are being deceitful if we don't have 'I AM A TRANSSEXUAL' tattooed on our body somewhere - truth in advertising taken to the cup cake mentality level, I suppose.

It's a good thing I calmed down or I might have gotten nasty with this. Stupid M F SOBS*

Lizzy

*Mentally Frail Silly Old Biased Slobs

Guest mia 1
I went to the site shown and read about it. I wanted to post a reply but I got caught up in the fact that so many said it was her fault! Apparentlyly she was killed because she didn't tell a boyfriend she was trans. THAT MADE IT HER FAULT?

BS

So I had to wait a day... I am still livid! But I think perhaps the media wants me that way! Sells more papers!

It's a good thing I calmed down or I might have gotten nasty with this. Stupid M F SOBS*

Lizzy

*Mentally Frail Silly Old Biased Slobs

NO!NO! read what the local Greely Tribune had to say.... http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/2008...arentprofile=-1 this will make you feel better about the community where Angie Lived.......

Guest Kelly Ann

makes you wonder what really goes on inside the windows of peoples minds doesn't it. This is so senseless and it seems like the entire community feels that way too. Sad she was 'in the business' as it were but that does not excuse anything in the end. I hope that they get what is respectfully theirs 'in the end'. :mad: Kelly Ann (I usually love everybody...sometimes I can make an exception)

I just read the story and I'm in shock. My sister lived in Greely and the last time I was there was for her funeral several years ago. It's such a beautiful little community, and to see that such a cold blooded hateful murder took place there just shocks me to the core. I feel sick.

Guest mia 1

The trial is coming up this week and the reason for the delay they had trouble finding a non informed and non biased jury...They were biased FOR the victim,,Thankd God for that.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sarah Marie

Laura -- Thank you for mentioning this trial and providing the Greeley Tribune link.

After reading the report about how the Defense attorneys cross examined Angies' relatives who testified on Friday, I was less than happy. After reading the paper's live blog of the trial's 3rd day on Monday, I don't know what to think.

Besides serving as a stark reminder to all of us that we need to be extra carful about who we allow into our lives as friends, Angie's sad case provides another reinder as well. Had she completed Colorado's legal name change process as soon as she turned 18 (assuming Colorado allows it), the Defense would be unable to continually refer to Angie as Justin. However, because she apparently had yet to complete that critical step, her legal name is still Justin. I feel this will hurt the prosecution's ability to obtain a conviction on any of the charges.

Still, the trial is only about 1/3 over, so anything is still possible.

If such were possible, I would like to extend my condolances, compassion and hugs to Angie's family and friends.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Janessa

That story made me cry; I'd heard it before, but it is horrible.

I remember seeing it on youtube and there were a lot of people making fun of Angie in comments - luckily the majority felt sorry for her family(I felt a need to stick up for her ><), but it still angers me so many people were talking that way. =\

Did they ever tell us how the trial turned out? I hope that guy gets the death penalty. >.< (or life in prison at the least)

We live roughly 2 or 3 hours from Greeley. Angie's death hit us very hard down here. The guy ended up getting life in prison and he was convincted of a hate crime. He is the first to be convicted under Colorado's new hate crime law (it includes gender identity). There seems to be some confusion on what actually happened, but basically, Angie agreed to hook up with this guy, but made it very clear she would ONLY have oral sex.. So they did that, later she left to go do something. The guy went through her stuff, and found out that she was born biologically male. He confronted her, she admitted it, and so he killed her and stole her car.

The really terrible thing is that there were a lot of people up here saying she 'deserved it', because she didn't tell him her bio sex. Even at our local gay youth group, almost all the kids were saying she should have told him, and they said she was being deceptive. It was only me and another transguy who were arguing for it. peed me off so much. If she had been a GG with, idk, a messed up vagina (like it was injured or idk), there would have been NOBODY saying 'she should have told him'. I mean, god, all she wanted was one night to actually just be a normal girl without the trans issues. Some people went so far as the claim she sexuallyy assulated this guy. Made me cry and I don't cry easily. And so what if she had a random hookup? Lots of GGs do that. The newspapers up here kept reffering to her by her old name and the wrong pronoun too. She died to be who she was, the least people could do was respect her name gender in death.

Her family was devestated. My prayers still go out to them, and I hope Angie finds the peace she was denied in life :(

Guest NatalieRene
We live roughly 2 or 3 hours from Greeley. Angie's death hit us very hard down here. The guy ended up getting life in prison and he was convincted of a hate crime. He is the first to be convicted under Colorado's new hate crime law (it includes gender identity). There seems to be some confusion on what actually happened, but basically, Angie agreed to hook up with this guy, but made it very clear she would ONLY have oral sex.. So they did that, later she left to go do something. The guy went through her stuff, and found out that she was born biologically male. He confronted her, she admitted it, and so he killed her and stole her car.

The really terrible thing is that there were a lot of people up here saying she 'deserved it', because she didn't tell him her bio sex. Even at our local gay youth group, almost all the kids were saying she should have told him, and they said she was being deceptive. It was only me and another transguy who were arguing for it. peed me off so much. If she had been a GG with, idk, a messed up vagina (like it was injured or idk), there would have been NOBODY saying 'she should have told him'. I mean, god, all she wanted was one night to actually just be a normal girl without the trans issues. Some people went so far as the claim she sexuallyy assulated this guy. Made me cry and I don't cry easily. And so what if she had a random hookup? Lots of GGs do that. The newspapers up here kept reffering to her by her old name and the wrong pronoun too. She died to be who she was, the least people could do was respect her name gender in death.

Her family was devestated. My prayers still go out to them, and I hope Angie finds the peace she was denied in life :(

Thats terrible. How can people be so cold? It's times like these that I think people are unredeemable. How can anyone even begin to justify this monster's actions?

Guest CharlieRose

That is terrible. I don't agree with stealth, especially because of these types of situations, but she in no way deserved to be murdered, and her killer had no right to kill her based on the fact that she didn't disclose her trans status.