• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Does Any One Like Opera?

Guest mia 1

Guest mia 1

Hey guess what I am going to the Opera this April 28th first time in my life I'm going to see Grand Opera at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House In Denver......I'm going to see Cosii Fon Tutti by W.A. Mozart..it is a comedy about two young girls who are engaged to two soldiers who are going to war and they make a bet that their girlfriends will be true to them..we will see what happens..The funny thing is I am going with my my girl cousin and her three lady friends so it will be a girls night out my very first..my wife said she will be go drink beers and shoot pool with my cousin's husband...she is so funny........ :P SO does any one have any experiences at the opera. Why don't you share...?...Mia

Guest April63

I saw Don Giovanni once. It was a long time ago, and I don't really remember a lot of it. I know I liked though. Anything written or composed by Mozart is great. You'll probably like it, unless you're really not into that kind of thing.

April

Lot's of them - from playing in the pit or on stage!

In the pit we were rehearsing for an opera in college and the soprano kept missing her entrance right before my first entrance it 247 measures!

On a break the three trumpeters went to a little store near campus and found signs that said "Help Stamp Out Opera", we bought one each - they were on a translucent whie plastic with red letters surrounded by Black.

When you clipped your stand light to the back of it the red letters glowed!

Well, one of the guys help his up too long and the director saw it and he made him bring it to him.

When the soprano missed her entrance, the director help up the sign to her and we heard a lot of laughter from all of the cast on stage (but no high pitched laughter).

I was on stage playing the long Herald Trumpet in Verdi's "Aida" - there was a ballet dancer performing in front of us, she was so graceful and leaped so hig, but the sage had been built up by stacking wooden risers one on top of another - each one making a perfect sounding board!

When she landed, this 97 pound Prima Ballerina sounded like a an Elepahant landing on that stage!

"The Magic Flute" is a good one to start with Mia - my first was "La Boheme" where Mimi is dying of consumption not really a happy story!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Pól_Eire

I saw Cavalleria Rusticana and I Pagliacci last year at the opera. This one guy sang both Turiddu and Canio (the lead parts) back to back -- it was incredible. They have an arts program at my university where you can enter a lottery and get tickets for free to concerts, ballets, etc., and I got tickets to the opera. It was pretty cool. I really like the intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana. I've never seen Cosi Fan Tutte, but I have it on my iPod -- it's pretty good :D . My favorite Mozart piece is definitely Mozart's Requiem though. That's not opera, but it's amazing.

Have a great time at the opera! (The temptation to make a Marx brothers reference is almost overwhelming at this point, but I'll restrain myself)

-Pol

Have a great time at the opera! (The temptation to make a Marx brothers reference is almost overwhelming at this point, but I'll restrain myself)

You really shouldn't have - Mia is a big Marx Brothers fan!

If they were going to see "Il Trovatore", she'd be waiting for the orchestra to start "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" in the middle of the overture! :D

I love the music from Wagner's Ring, but I can't imagine being able to sit in the same seat for four nights in a row to watch it!

I'm a fan of Mozart, Verdi, Rossini and Warner when it comes to Opera, OK and Bellini!

But it was Rossini who said that the trouble with opera was too many singers!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Pól_Eire

Not such a huge Wagner fan -- it's a little much for me, and this is coming from a guy who really likes Mahler. I also definitely don't have the attention span to sit through a ring cycle.

I like Verdi and Mozart too, but I also really like Puccini. Rossini is kind of funny -- sometimes I really like him and other times I really don't. It's kind of similar to how I feel about Gilbert and Sullivan, but in a completely different way.

Right now, I'm really into Sibelius (again, not Opera, but it's classical). I may have Finlandia on repeat... :blush:

Sally, have you ever played the trumpet solo from Mahler 5?

-Pól

Sally, have you ever played the trumpet solo from Mahler 5?

My College orchestra never played any Mahler so I only played that excerpt in my trumpet lessons - I loved it.

I left out Puccini - Oh, well - I like so much classical.

I have a photograph somewhere in my negative archives of the Sibelius 'Statue' (very abstract vertical bars stretching across the park ending as the base of the bust of Sibelius) in Helsinki, Finland - it's right at the old Olympics complex.

"Madam Butterfly" is a good one to see - usually beautiful costuming as well as a gorgeous score!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest mia 1

Yes Yes Puccini Madama Butterfly I told my therapist I was going to the opera and he said don't stop with Cossi Fon Tutti you must see a tragic opera..Puccini is his favorite..what about Aida by Verdi. Oh that's right Sally you said you played the triumphal march on your trumpet such talent and right here at Laura's

I'm getting this tremendous urge to get out my trumpet and start playing classical excerpts - bur it's 11:30 so I'd better not!

Just thinking about some of the beautiful trumpet parts in Wagner's "Lohengrin", especially during Elsa's procession to the Cathedral!

That's why I love Wagner - unbelieveable brass parts!

No one performs operettas anymore, but just so you know one of the great Sousa Marches, "El Capitain" was actually the overture to one of the twenty something operettas that he wrote.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Pól_Eire
No one performs operettas anymore, but just so you know one of the great Sousa Marches, "El Capitain" was actually the overture to one of the twenty something operettas that he wrote.

I'm going to admit to blasphemy here...I hate Sousa. Not just like, mildly dislike, or don't care for. I passionately hate Sousa. I hate playing Sousa, I hate listening to Sousa, I hate studying Sousa. :banghead:

I understand that the man was a musical genius. I get that, I really do. And I do appreciate his genius...very far away from me! :D

Ashamedly yours,

-Pól

You are considedered unpatriotic if you don't like Johnn Philip SOUSA

I had to play way too many, but too many marches will drive you crazy anyway, I got sick of King, Alfred and Reed as well - marching bands for 16 years! :o

The best marches of Sousa were his concert marches that are almost never performed - "Black Horse Troop" and "George Washington Memorial Bridge."

I do not feel the urge to play marches again - I turned down an invitation to play at the circus recently for that very reason it was for charity so there was only food envolved so I passed!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Pól_Eire
You are considedered unpatriotic if you don't like Johnn Philip SOUSA

Then it's a good thing I'm not an American, then! :D I only go to school here.

<-- points to Irish flag.

I liked Reed's "La Fiesta Mexicana" -- I can't remember if I've played any of his marches though.

-Pól

Guest OneOutOfnOne

In two weeks I will be appearing in my fifth Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, Princess Ida. It may be true what they say, that Gilbert and Sullivan is more fun to perform than to watch.

I love classical music, but honestly don't know that much opera outside of Mozart. I recently saw Puccini's La Rondine, which was beautiful. Earlier this year I saw Messiaen's Saint-François d'Assise, which was mysterious and fascinating but six hours long.

Again, not opera, but since Mahler was brought up, I have to mention that the first movement of his seventh symphony is one of my favourite pieces of music ever composed.

Guest Pól_Eire
In two weeks I will be appearing in my fifth Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, Princess Ida. It may be true what they say, that Gilbert and Sullivan is more fun to perform than to watch.

Again, not opera, but since Mahler was brought up, I have to mention that the first movement of his seventh symphony is one of my favourite pieces of music ever composed.

I've never played Princess Ida -- I've been in the pit for H.M.S. Pinafore and for Pirates of Penzance though. It is a lot of fun to play, and it can be a lot of fun to watch. But there are few things more painful than having to watch someone butcher "The Major General's Song".

I do like Mahler 7. Not my favorite Mahler, but it's still quite good. How do you feel about Mahler 1? I have mixed feelings, personally. Mahler 5 is my favorite Mahler, closely followed by 2.

-Pól

I've never played Princess Ida -- I've been in the pit for H.M.S. Pinafore and for Pirates of Penzance though. It is a lot of fun to play, and it can be a lot of fun to watch. But there are few things more painful than having to watch someone butcher "The Major General's Song".

I agree 100% (I'm not an athlete so I am limited to less than their 110%) that is why I have never listened to the Pirates of Penzance by anyone other than D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, that's their specialty. There are performers who can make a mess of "An Admiral in the Queen's Navy" from Pinafore :D

I do like Mahler 7. Not my favorite Mahler, but it's still quite good. How do you feel about Mahler 1? I have mixed feelings, personally. Mahler 5 is my favorite Mahler, closely followed by 2.

Low brass players love Mahler's no. 2.

Love ya,

Sally

-Pól

P.S. You might have liked Sousa's work as a world class Equestrian and an excellent marksman better than his music.

Guest Deeedoo

I like opera! I've never acted in an opera, but I took Drama and was in plays. I had a hard time screaming to the audience because when I'm playing a characer it seems unnatural. I like to watch operas, though. My great-grandmother takes Skyy and me to see them sometimes. Unfortunately, she's having heart problems now, so she may not be around forever like I hoped.

Guest mia 1

O.K. gang all thanks for the tips how long does the opera last..I'mnot tailing about the Ring Cycle...the anti Semitic Brunhilda and the funeral pyre..which Hitler mimicked in his own death from goddamning may they all rot in hell,,but something like Madame Butterfly of La traviatta...three of four hours or somewhere in between? Mia

Guest Chrissie
O.K. gang all thanks for the tips how long does the opera last..I'mnot tailing about the Ring Cycle...the anti Semitic Brunhilda and the funeral pyre..which Hitler mimicked in his own death from goddamning may they all rot in hell,,but something like Madame Butterfly of La traviatta...three of four hours or somewhere in between? Mia

I don't remember going to any opera's but I am going to a show tonight... and do love plays if I could afford to go more often I wouldn't waste my time with some of the movies that they have out there.

I love almost all types of music... There are some genres that I barely consider music but thats me... Rap/hip hop is not music in my opinion.

... Oh my gods :huh::o I'm getting old ... but I don't want to be old yet. :lol:

Which way to the old Trans home? ?

Guest Cericonversion

I love opera. (I came this close to using Rozenkavalier as a handle.)

There are some great DVDs of opera, both staged performances and versions made for film. Opera noobs should consider trying out Baz Luhrmann's production of La Boheme, or Franco Zefferelli's film of La Traviata. Both are really accessible stories of sympathetic characters who get into tragic messes and sound very much more beautiful about it all than most of us do. :D

Sally: At the risk of banning :), although it's got some weak parts, the Joseph Papp production of Pirates of Penzance is out on DVD and it's pretty darned good. Angela Lansbury makes a great nurse and Kevin Kline a wonderful pirate king. George Rose is very serviceable as the major-general. Not fantastic, but nothing to be ashamed of, either.

• 1 month later...
Guest S. Chrissie
, I got sick of King, Alfred and Reed as well

:o i loooove Alfred Reed. His concert band pieces are awesome.

How do you feel about Mahler 1?

I like 1 but 3rd and 5th get's the first 2 places. How I wish I will be able to play those piece with my orchestra.

Sherlyn

P.S. You might have liked Sousa's work as a world class Equestrian and an excellent marksman better than his music.

You just had to bring that up, didn't you? Drugs, you say? I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about there. What a colossal mess of utter stupidity that was. I'll remind you that was the only medal we 'won' in that Olympics as well.

Marksmanship for people not in the army or the guards isn't exactly popular where I'm from...a little too much history there. It's neat and all...far away from me, like.

i loooove Alfred Reed. His concert band pieces are awesome.

Sherlyn, what's your favorite Reed concert band piece?

Guest S. Chrissie

A Festive Overture.

For concert pieces, most of my favourite lean more towards James Swearingen, Steven Reineke and Holst.

Guest mia 1

I googled overtures and got two wonderful recordings that you can listen to on youtube one by Bernstein and one by Von Karajan both renditions of Ludwig Von's Egmont overtures one with the Vienna and the other with the Berlin S.O. respectively listen for your audio and visual beauty....Mia