• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cyndee

Why men kill transwomen

Cyndee

one take on a very creepy subject.

“Trans women have relinquished masculinity […] and that is very threatening to a man who wants to see his power as an intrinsic feature of who he is,”

Gender roles and gender enforcement can be so destructive.

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/transgender-women-killed-by-men

Guest LesleyAnne

Sounds about right! Some CIS men seem to feel that when they discover someone they were, or are attracted turns out to be a Transwoman, it equates to a direct assault on their twisted little sense of manhood.

Sick little pitiful boys!!

Guest Jamie61

I do feel that strong negative reactions towards trans women are more telling about the reactor and less about someone being trans.

Guest amanda_s

Sounds about right! Some CIS men seem to feel that when they discover someone they were, or are attracted turns out to be a Transwoman, it equates to a direct assault on their twisted little sense of manhood.

Sick little pitiful boys!!

that explains the 4 losers at work so well

I do feel that strong negative reactions towards trans women are more telling about the reactor and less about someone being trans.

Yes absolutely! We are not alone. They secretly hate and objectify all women. We are just the wives they feel they can openly beat. Then they look for other latex pocket pal types to be validating and supporting. Their sickness runs so deep to appear as Mr Normal. Yes their actions are very telling on a lot of levels. Thank God I'm not really male. Thank God I understand them so well first hand. Many here do also. Exposing their cover with that knowledge about them would make them even more dangerous. Jody

Please forgive me for being an angry femininist.

StephanieVikingGirl

Yep, this is a creepy subject. I really have a deep fear of misogynistic, patriarchal, a$$hole rednecks, and others of similar ilk, and it is precisely for their predilection for killing nice trans women like me. I am so glad not to know anyone like that. My friends are all kinda liberal, accepting, feminists, including the guys, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

hugs,

Stephanie

VickySGV

I do not want to go to far afield into politics or racial issues, but it is noticeable that the killings and heaviest brunt of the brutality do occur in areas and cultures where males on a general level have the weakest image of masculine self esteem. They cannot boast of high pay, corporate leadership esteem, or even sports primacy for being at the top of the heap. I was not able to feel my cultural "privilege" as a white male, of course because I was Trans* but I know I am still safer for the element of skin color. The killers do not consider it harm to a woman, they envision it as battle against a predatory male. Heavens, what a mess.

Cyndee

because I was Trans* but I know I am still safer for the element of skin color.

I hear ya Vicky, however I have no real extra sense of security due to the color of my skin. Being older and fair skinned, just means the risks are different. I personally don't seek men for dates, just that cuts a whole layer of risk out of the picture.

Trans has the potential to ignite the intersections of class, race, gender, sexual orientation, and age. One has to be mindful when reaching these intersections in life.

because I was Trans* but I know I am still safer for the element of skin color.

I hear ya Vicky, however I have no real extra sense of security due to the color of my skin. Being older and fair skinned, just means the risks are different. I personally don't seek men for dates, just that cuts a whole layer of risk out of the picture.

Trans has the potential to ignite the intersections of class, race, gender, sexual orientation, and age. One has to be mindful when reaching these intersections in life.

I've seen some of those first hand. I was told by other local TG women early on to avoid men in groups of three or more that may be culturally entrenched in macho man masculinity and influenced by orthodox religious upbringings. That can include multiple races and classes. Beware the wolves don't always wear wolves clothing.

I also don't actively try to date men. I'm not very attractive or desirable to them. If I had transitioned much younger things in my life or death may have been far different.

Cyndee

I've seen some of those first hand. I was told by other local TG women early on to avoid men in groups of three or more that may be culturally entrenched in macho man masculinity and influenced by orthodox religious upbringings.

What Jody Ann says above folks is true. Groups of 3 or more men and things can take on a life of it's own, beware the "devils triangle", beware....

VickySGV

When I mentioned "safer" I was referring to a margin of safety that was small at best, but recent IRL conversations with friends who are in the Black and Latinx* communities have made the point to me. The fact that I worked in a law enforcement field where I did not carry a firearm, but did have to deal with people who could have turned threatening has me to a point where I recognize questionable situations early on and get the heck out of the area.

*Latinx is a self descriptive word being used by some of my Latin American heritage friends for those who are gender fluid, pre/non op or non-binary.

StephanieVikingGirl

Yep, this risk of becoming another statistic is disturbing, and it was one of the major reasons that I moved to California truthfully (in addition to the climate). I was attacked when I was young, by groups of guys usually older, and sometimes armed with improvised weapons (1971 to 1975). I wore my hair very long, and I have always walked kinda girly, so I believe that is what singled me out as a target when I was twelve to fifteen. Fortunately I had started practicing martial arts under the influence of my favorite TV show of 1966-1967 the Green Hornet, and I was very fierce in countering my attackers, and so I survived. The ultimate result: I went underground, developed a macho barbarian persona, and avoided my gender issues for decades.

So I have a healthy fear of these kinds of guys, the ones who would do me (or any trans woman) harm. I am careful not to go out at night alone, or go in bad areas anymore. I look kinda attractive in a tall, athletic, tanned Scandinavian woman kinda way, and so I think that some weirdos might want to rape me. Rapists can easily become killers when their masculinity comes into question by encountering trans women, or so it might seem to me. Kinda scary, but that is why it is good to be safe. I don't actually live in a good neighborhood at this point, but we are only a half mile from better places, and so we go there to shop.

Knowledge of how bad guys think is good to have so we can better avoid them. Forewarned is forearmed, I guess.

hugs,

Stephanie

Alyssa Deutsch

In one of my first sessions with my wonderful social worker, she gave me a flier for the Transgender Day of Remembrance event that was going to be held that weekend (November 21, 2015) at the Austin City Hall. I couldn't make the vigil, because I was leaving town that day for Thanksgiving coming up, so I went to the website on the flier. There, I saw this insanely long list of transgender people who were killed just in the past year.

As if finally starting to deal with this issue, and the consequences it would bring in my life were not frightening enough....

That was a smack in the face. I have always been smaller for a guy, and the threat of being beat up was always there due to the crazy circles I ran with. Seeing this made that threat look easy to handle. It is all so sad in many ways.

In one of my first sessions with my wonderful social worker, she gave me a flier for the Transgender Day of Remembrance event that was going to be held that weekend (November 21, 2015) at the Austin City Hall. I couldn't make the vigil, because I was leaving town that day for Thanksgiving coming up, so I went to the website on the flier. There, I saw this insanely long list of transgender people who were killed just in the past year.

As if finally starting to deal with this issue, and the consequences it would bring in my life were not frightening enough....

That was a smack in the face. I have always been smaller for a guy, and the threat of being beat up was always there due to the crazy circles I ran with. Seeing this made that threat look easy to handle. It is all so sad in many ways.

You will do fine if you always first do three things:

Hone your "Street Smart" skills and be vigilant.

Develop your sixth sense and act on it. If something feels wrong, it probably is. Take evasive action.

Rely on your natural female "Creep Meter". Get a warning reading, take evasive action Now! Purse handles wrapped over the wrist of your weak hand. Grasp the handles to be able to slap them up side the head like a brick! Car keys in the strong hand pointed out between fingers as a jabbing device. Give them an urgent need for an eye doctor!

Thumb on cell phone 911 auto dial. Be aware 360 around you. Look for your escape route and the next makeshift available weapon.

They may ultimately win over me, but they better pack a lunch. I'm an old alley cat, they will have to earn it!

Be confident, be as strong as you can, run fast or fight like hell! Hug. JodyAnn

Jennifer T

I've said it before, "T" was brought forth into this world to protect "Jennifer". And he has done so for 50 years.

Without moving into the 'anti male' arena, (for I have a son whom I desperately care for and believe embodies what masculinity should be) I say we should not live our lives in fear, but we should be always vigilant against a very real threat.

Guest LesleyAnne

Well said Jennifer T

I too have grown sons whom I absolutely adore. They are loving, giving, strong men of character. They love their families as they were shown by example, and i'm terribly proud of them.

Sadly one of them doesn't understand me since I only came out to my sons last year, but I do know he loves me, and that is all I can really ask for....

Jennifer T

LesleyAnne, my prayers that your other son finds acceptance and understanding with who you are.

Peace

Guest Kayla Grace

This is ... disturbing. Stay safe everyone, please.