• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Wig and long hair?

Alyssa Deutsch

I have been shaving my head for the past 21 years, ever since I went off to basic training. Before that, I had real long hair on the top of my head (shaved on sides and back). Now, as I have been coming to terms with my true self and getting away from the image I crafted to hide that self, my hair is growing back out.

But....

It seems to be a bit thinner on top than I remember. Not only that, which isn't very noticeable at all (except in my mind it might as well be an enormous bald spot), I have a very guy hairline. My hairline looks just like that singer guy Sting. So, I figure a wig will be in my future.

The question then is this, is it better to keep my hair real short and just wear a wig all the time? Or do I still get to grow out my own hair and maybe find some kind of extensions or some other hair piece to "fill in" on top and especially around the Sting-ish hairline?

I don't have a clue what is supposed to happen with this. Used to love that manly hairline, because it helped so much with my character I had to play. Not so much anymore.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alyssa

• Forum Moderator

I shave my head and look like a chemo patient without a wig. It simply makes it easier to handle wearing a wig. I know some other trans*women who wear a head band that covers their forehead and holds long hair back. If i had anything up top i might try that. I found wearing a wig tone a bit difficult at first but now years later it seems odd when it's off. I almost think it is easier to wear a wig than to style my own hair but then again my old male ways show through with that statement. Let me put it this way....I'm content. That is perhaps the best goal of any decision we make. Good thing is that hair does grow. Maybe you should ask a hairdresser.

In the end the choice will be yours.

Hugs,

Charlize

Thank you, Charlize.

I do really like the thought of something like a scarf, headband, or those kinds of things. I always thought they looked so pretty. But, that is always something that can be done over a wig anyway I guess.

My first instinct was to grow back my hair, just because I loved having it all those years ago. But, I am also very comfortable without any hair, and it is so much easier in my opinion. Talking with a hairdresser is a great idea. Feel stupid for not thinking of that before.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Alyssa

If you opt for a wig, seek out a stylist that specializes in cutting wigs. Even the most expensive ones need to be customized by a stylist and cutting a wig is very different than cutting real hair. And a good wig stylist will require you to be wearing it. There's only so much that can be done on a form.

If you opt for a wig, seek out a stylist that specializes in cutting wigs. Even the most expensive ones need to be customized by a stylist and cutting a wig is very different than cutting real hair. And a good wig stylist will require you to be wearing it. There's only so much that can be done on a form.

Wow, okay. That makes sense. I better know what kind of hairstyle I want first, then buy the wig and get it styled.

Thanks so much for the advice! I would be so seriously lost without all of you here.

Alyssa

• Admin

Alyssa -- go into my Gallery here and look at my wig and hairpiece section that I put there a couple years ago to help some other people with questions;

This one has some hair pieces I have tried and looked good in, that answered your needs.

http://forum.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&album=1349

This batch of pictures shows several styles, and two pictures about placement on your head

http://forum.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&album=1573

My hair only grows to just below my collar bone and is so darn fine that I do grow mine out and can get a pony tail out of it. My top hair did thicken up with HRT and my stylist / colorist who knows about me has it evened up. I can easily put it up under a wig with a couple of hair clips, and do have some wigs that are tush ticklers (very long) as well as some wild color wigs that I wear to just spice up life, two of them are in my gallery as well.

Vicky,

Thank you for the links! I will check it out. It wasn't anything I have thought a lot about, but of course I stress out about all these things. These have been excuses in the past for not facing this earlier.

Thanks so much!

Alyssa

Just visit the reddit about transpassing. Individuals are constantly buy wigs and wearing them right off the shelf. In most cases their appearance would turn Medusa to stone. You'll see what I mean very quickly.

Vicky,

Just went through your wig pics. So much to learn and do. I had no clue it would be so involved. Kinda intimidating, actually.

Cosmo,

I'll look for your suggestion. Not looking forward to having to figure all this out later on. Pretty stressful.

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate your help.

Alyssa

No problem. As a stylist we all learn to cut on real people. Some of the techniques for cutting wigs is a direct contradiction to how we learn to cut hair on people. The learning curve is completely different. The difference between a good cut and a bad cut is thirty days. On a wig it's forever. Good quality hairpieces are expensive. A good stylist can do miracles by taking the time to evaluate the face type particularly the forehead and hairline and create an illusion of an oval face structure. The largest challenge any woman has in the chair is to compromise what they hold as their ideal image of hairstyles. It's amazing what we can do when given some freedom to camouflage a large forehead with a fringe and compressing a long face and making it wider by simply creating fullness around the cheek area. It's all an illusion but that what you're paying for.

Cosmo, I am guilty as charged with the off the shelf wig.

I had already set an appointment for my natural hair and explicitly for their help on the wig, and am glad for your advice about the difference, and the power of shaping.

For what it's worth, my first call was to a salon where the stylist said she had no experience with wigs. She seemed willing to try, but steered me elsewhere

It is a miracle my hair is regrowing at 53. It may never be enough, this year will tell.

Vicky, thanks for sharing the pics,I'm thinking I may be able to do a hairpiece...

I do have wigs and extensions but in the end it all feels wrong, like wearing a kind of cap. There´s nothing like the real stuff. For me that means I´d rather choose implants if necessary.

I do have wigs and extensions but in the end it all feels wrong, like wearing a kind of cap. There´s nothing like the real stuff. For me that means I´d rather choose implants if necessary.

How long have you been wearing them? It takes a while to loose the hat sensation.

I am choosing the grow out path. I have a very male pattern baldness as well.

The back and sides if my head have more hair than the top portions. I have been wearing a hat as it grows out. Its been almost three years of growing it and i think i am right near having something tolerable and natural.

I would say grow it out and see what little help you need rather than keep cutting it.

I did the wigs when it was shorter and i like natural better even though its nowhere near the flawless lush look of a full wig.

Now that i know what style and cut can do for me i think i still want some transplants, but far less than i would have thought before.

My hair is really thin and kinky and dyed blonde so even at its best it leaves something to be desired. I can also fill in the thin spots (on the sides of my forehead) with some dark brown eye shadow or bronzer.

But, also consider that hats are a great fashion accessory.

Wigs will always be an available option once all other methods are exhausted.

:) thats my 2 cents worth.

Okay, it sounds like everyone is talking the traditional wig with a solid cap. Google lace cap wig. It's more expensive but I think well worth it in appearance. Quality wigs will allow you to use a small crochet type hook to gently.and carefully pull some of your own hair through. This does two things. First it will make the wig look more natural but more importantly that will lock your hairpiece in place. Don't think it will stay on our heads riding open throttle on a scooter on the interstate but short of that it's stuck there and your head moments to flip it or whatever can be done without worry.

Look at hair extensions. I like the princess line. They are tape ins and can be used to increase volume and or length. Or if you have deep pockets, I individual keratin attached strands, ultrasound attachments for those of us with baby fine hair, but quality human hair and several hours in the chair will easily run over 1K and they need to be reset in 3 months. For women of color, they have great hair to do sew ins. They are fairly inexpensive and look fantastic Downside is if you got white girl hair, they slide right out. But once again extensions like wigs need to be blended which requires a licensed stylist that the discount mall stores don't have.

If you are in the Dallas area or willing to travel a bit, I can refer you to an outstanding stylist whose shop is tg friendly. I used to work in her shop and she is so sweet. You walk in a stranger and walk out being part of her family. Just PM me. I'd love to do it but I'm working in an upscale men's salon and they would not look kindly on us.

I am choosing the grow out path. I have a very male pattern baldness as well.

The back and sides if my head have more hair than the top portions. I have been wearing a hat as it grows out. Its been almost three years of growing it and i think i am right near having something tolerable and natural.

I would say grow it out and see what little help you need rather than keep cutting it.

I did the wigs when it was shorter and i like natural better even though its nowhere near the flawless lush look of a full wig.

Now that i know what style and cut can do for me i think i still want some transplants, but far less than i would have thought before.

My hair is really thin and kinky and dyed blonde so even at its best it leaves something to be desired. I can also fill in the thin spots (on the sides of my forehead) with some dark brown eye shadow or bronzer.

But, also consider that hats are a great fashion accessory.

Wigs will always be an available option once all other methods are exhausted.

:) thats my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the advice and sharing what you do. I couldn't sleep last night freaking out about this, and finally gave in and got up around 3 am. My therapist said she will write the letter to my doctor to start hormone treatment, but these kinds of things freak me out and it is hard to imagine what to do. Keep growing out the hair and see, that sounds like good advice.

Thanks So-kool, I really appreciate the help!

Alyssa

Okay, it sounds like everyone is talking the traditional wig with a solid cap. Google lace cap wig. It's more expensive but I think well worth it in appearance. Quality wigs will allow you to use a small crochet type hook to gently.and carefully pull some of your own hair through. This does two things. First it will make the wig look more natural but more importantly that will lock your hairpiece in place. Don't think it will stay on our heads riding open throttle on a scooter on the interstate but short of that it's stuck there and your head moments to flip it or whatever can be done without worry.

Look at hair extensions. I like the princess line. They are tape ins and can be used to increase volume and or length. Or if you have deep pockets, I individual keratin attached strands, ultrasound attachments for those of us with baby fine hair, but quality human hair and several hours in the chair will easily run over 1K and they need to be reset in 3 months. For women of color, they have great hair to do sew ins. They are fairly inexpensive and look fantastic Downside is if you got white girl hair, they slide right out. But once again extensions like wigs need to be blended which requires a licensed stylist that the discount mall stores don't have.

If you are in the Dallas area or willing to travel a bit, I can refer you to an outstanding stylist whose shop is tg friendly. I used to work in her shop and she is so sweet. You walk in a stranger and walk out being part of her family. Just PM me. I'd love to do it but I'm working in an upscale men's salon and they would not look kindly on us.

Lace cap wig, okay I will look into it. Seriously, I was thinking of just shaving off all my hair again last night. I don't know, it is so hard. You know so much about this, and I really appreciate your advice! I might PM you about the place in Big D, but I want to look into anything that will be closer in Austin first. We have our next TGQ social there coming up next Sunday, so maybe I can put these fears to rest by asking those in the neighborhood who have walked this journey. It's just hard being so far from Austin and the community there.

Okay, enough of that crying nonsense. Thank you so much, Cosmo, you are awesome!!!

Alyssa

Btw does anybody have experiences with wigs and sports or riding a motorbike? Seriously, because I like both very much and spend a good time on it.

• Admin

Btw does anybody have experiences with wigs and sports or riding a motorbike? Seriously, because I like both very much and spend a good time on it.

There are chin straps with alligator clips on them that attach at the earpieces on the wigs that will withstand motor cycle rides and some sports. Best Idea though is get a cute cycle helmet or a baseball cap.

Great question! I ride year round down here in Texas, and no way would I give that up. A lot of girls down here will wear a bandana over their hair, either with or without a helmet. I always wear a helmet, so I am planning on getting some nice bandanas to wear under the helmet. Gotta grow out the natural hair as well, because I don't know what will happen with a wig under a tight motorcycle helmet.

Vicky mentioned getting a helmet, so I gotta ask her if motorcycle helmets are real tough on wigs or something like those bangs that attach to the natural hair? Would a bandana over the wig/hairpiece protect it from the helmet?

Either way, I always liked the biker girl look with that bandana on their head! Very pretty.

Alyssa

Guest AshleighP

So much good advice, as always. My natural hair is very thin on top, but reaches to my butt from the sides and back. I have one wig that is nearly the same color, so I can wear my hair down and it just looks like I have really long hair. It is also a lace cap that is a blend of human and synthetic hair. Love how it looks and feels. If you go the wig route, definitely spend the money for a quality one. I have had both and the difference is phenomenal! I wish there were a local, discreet, stylist around me that I could go to for advice, but alas, the issues of small town living.

I definitely agree with the "let it grow and see what it looks like" philosophy. You can always keep it under a wig, hat, or headband until you get an idea of how it will look long and styled. Best of luck, and don't stress. It will make your hair turn gray.

• Admin

Vicky mentioned getting a helmet, so I gotta ask her if motorcycle helmets are real tough on wigs or something like those bangs that attach to the natural hair? Would a bandanna over the wig/hairpiece protect it from the helmet?

If you have a good quality wig, occasional use of a helmet on it will be no worse than on your own hair. If your own hair is up under the wig, there can be comfort problems and you will have to adjust the size of the helmet ring to deal with that. The bandanna idea is a good one. There is a hairpiece that does not have a top to it that is made to be worn under baseball caps or possibly helmets, appropriately named "Hat Hair". It is one piece I do not have to show off, but a friend of mine has a couple of them and looks cute as a button. (Of course, you cannot take the hat off while you are wearing it since there is no top hair,)

Vicky,

Probably already said this before, but I gotta say it anyway: You are awesome!!!

Thanks!

Alyssa