• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trachea Shave

Jani

• Forum Moderator

Well, I have a date for a trachea shave in mid-March. I went for a consultation and it's what I need to do. I've thought about it so much. I told my wife I would have done it 20 years ago if I could have figured out a way. I've been told by many that my neck looks fine but that's not what I see. I'm thin so no amount of double chin is ever going to do much. I know we're our own worse critic. It's one more step towards being me and erasing the dysphoria!

I have to get some lab work done within a 30 day window but we're leaving on a long planned vacation in a few days so it will be when we return. I hate rushing but the surgery date they offered me was too good to pass up.

I actually considered having my jawline contoured too, seeing how I'm already paying the hospital fees but in the end I decided to wait and see what HRT does. That, and the thought of the long healing process and photos I've seen were just too much for my mind at this point. I also have a niece getting married this summer and I'm a little stressed about that (a whole new post I'm sure) so the idea of my face still being somewhat swollen was not in the cards for me.

I'm excited and a little nervous, which I think is good!

Jani

Guest Jamie61

Hey Jani,

That's very exciting. I am also wanting to have that done. My friend's 3 year old daughter pointed to mine and said "what's that". I told my friend " your daughter is a genius!"

I also hope to get a chin lift when I do mine. So far that is the only surgery I know for sure that I want.

Have a great trip and please keep us posted.

Jamie

I am very interested in finding out more about this procedure. Gonna have to get one sometime as well.

Glad to hear yours is coming up, Jani! I'm excited for you, and it will be interesting to hear how it went.

Alyssa

• Forum Moderator

Best of luck with the procedure. I am fortunate to not have had that problem but can certainly understand your need. I the meantime have a great vacation! Relax a bit and let all this slide for a bit.

Hugs,

Charlize

Jani,great news,always refreshing to hear the successes of others!I hope it goes just the way you want!And,enjoy your vacation as much as you can.

jeannie

Hi Jani,

Good luck on the surgery! And your vacation as well. :) I can only have procedures that insurance will cover as necessary, and I don't think my trachea looks male enough to be seen as a necessity. I think we see things more than others, so I can see it, but it really doesn't seem to be noticed in public, or work. I am not thin, yet not fat either, but the fat has redistributed on my face, and neck enough to make my trachea area less noticeable. However, I can see it, so I am looking forward to learning more about how the procedure goes with you, thanks for sharing.

hugs,

Stephanie

Guest KerryUK

Hi Jani,

I know somebody here in the UK who had the tracheal shave and she was very pleased with the results. I wanted to have it too but was turned down - they said that mine wasn't pronounced enough. To be honest, I've never had anybody shriek in horror and point at it so I guess it must be okay.

Kerry

• Forum Moderator

Thanks for the comments and words of support.

So far what I know is the doctor will start by using a camera to determine the exact location of my vocal cords so that he can learn how far to trim the cartilage. Too far and apparently you can end up with damage that causes voice troubles. The incision (.75" long) will be under my chin at the fold so it won't be noticeable. They use a super glue like material rather than stitches so the scar should eventually be invisible. I think I'll get some E-oil. When my wife had surgery she got Vitamin E with a roll on applicator to use on the incision. It really helped with the healing.

I have to have some blood work, an EKG and a chest X-ray done also. My primary doctor has to submit a document to the surgeon that states my overall health condition. I go in bright and early in the morning and I'll stay overnight for observation. This is a fairly simple procedure that is planned to last 30 minutes. No post surgery issues are expected.

The info package I received states I'll have to stop electrolysis for a while. I'm not happy about that but I only have a few dark hairs left so I'll survive. I also have to stop HRT two weeks prior as well. I'll post again later as I learn more.

Jani

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Moderator

Our vacation was great. I was nice to spend time with my parents and my sisters and their husbands. It all ends too soon though.

So I had my trachea shave procedure yesterday March 18th. I had to stop HRT and electrolysis two weeks beforehand. I guess the hormones can cause clotting issues and electrolysis causes stress to the facial and neck skin so that needed time to heal. I wasn't thrilled about these actions but I understand. I can't go back to electrolysis for at least a month until the swelling is gone and the incision is healed.

If you've ever had surgery it's all the same as far as the intake procedure goes, lots of questions and signing forms. Soon I had the I-V inserted and was brought to the operating room. I was given the anesthesia and the next thing I remember I'm in the recovery room and I'm coming around. I was there maybe two hours before being brought to a room where I'd spend the night. It was nice, with a window overlooking the Charles River. The hospital was in Cambridge, MA, next to Boston.

The doctor said he uses a camera to determine exactly where the vocal cords attach to the cartilage so he knows how far he can cut. So my throat was a little sore from that. I'll say within a few hours it was fine and I could swallow and eat without issue. The pain I experienced was from the muscles in my throat which is still swollen and will be for a while. He said the swelling will peak 2 to 3 days after surgery and will go down within 7 to 10 days. Thankfully I don't have any bruising. The incision is held together with a glue like substance and there are no sutures.

As noted the windpipe area on my neck is definitely swollen but the Adam's apple protrusion is definitely gone. Yeah! I'll have to sleep on my back with my head raised higher than my heart for a week to keep blood pressure off the area. And no strenuous exercise either. That's OK, I'm just going to lay low and relax!

All in all it was a simple procedure and I almost felt embarrassed being in the hospital with people who were actually sick and recovering from necessary surgeries. I've been there and done that. This was certainly an elective surgery and even though I can't see the full final results clearly quite yet I do think it was worth the expense. I feel really good about it and how I will look. Given the type of procedure I was having (this doctor does FFS there as well) everyone seemed to know I was transgender and I was treated with respect by all the staff. The Nurse's that knew the doctor spoke highly of him. I found him to be calm and easy to speak with. He made sure I was comfortable with what we were doing which certainly put me at ease.

Jani

Guest Jamie61

Congrats Jani and thanks for sharing your experience! It's sound very good they way your doctor makes sure to not damage your vocal cords.

I'm ready to start looking for a surgeon. Hoping to find some good references in or near Illinois.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Grats im glad I wont need this I don't know why but I dont have one at least anyone can find.

• 10 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

I thought I would write a follow up post.  It's been almost eleven months since my surgery and there is virtually no sign of the incision on my neck.  Signs of it seemed to dissipate within a few months.  I am still very satisfied with Dr. Spiegel and the outcome of this procedure.  My Adam's Apple was a big "tell" for me and I haven't been misgendered since.  It was a good investment in my sanity!

My current project is looking into doctors for GCS.  I've gotten one reply to my requests for information and will be calling them to schedule a consultation appointment this week.  I'm not looking at any doctors with known year long plus waiting lists.  I am getting excited.  I've sold a "toy" so there's money in the bank waiting as my insurance wouldn't cover this and I just wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of all the required approvals, beyond what the doctor needs. 

Jani 

• Forum Moderator

Thank you for the update. It's really good there is little to show from surgery. Wearing very open clothing will be less of a worry even if it was nevery likely to be a problem - the thought would be there! Good luck for further progress

Tracy x

• Forum Moderator

Nice update Jani, glad your surgery went well and no visible signs. I am a blessed with a small and barely noticeable trachea. Good luck with your GCS surgeon vetting, it's a big deal. 

Hugs

Cyndi -

I can't wait to have this procedure! I am SO self conscious of mine! I've already discovered that I can fix my voice with enough practice, if I could do this then I think I would pass most of the time! I'll probably have a few other things done eventually as well, but GCS is still a very distant dream to me, and one I'm not sure I'll ever achieve.

You're moving to Colorado? If your insurance changes, I believe Colorado requires insurance companies to cover transgender care including SRS.

7 hours ago, MarcieMarie12 said:

You're moving to Colorado? If your insurance changes, I believe Colorado requires insurance companies to cover transgender care including SRS.

I'm transferring within my company which is a freaking HUGE corporation and we all have the same insurance coverage. Our HR department and insurance is out of California. I haven't looked into it yet because I don't want to potentially put a stick into a hornet's nest, but I have been thinking that my insurance should be really good if I can just afford it! *crossing fingers*