• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OnThePath

Has anyone used an electric shaver?

OnThePath

So far I've dabbled with a few different temporary body hair removal methods, I've shaved, I've used an electric hair trimmer, and wax strips. I used nair once, but I had a bad skin reaction and I've just been afraid of trying it again. I've run into a lot of ingrown hair issues, which is why I'm currently just using my electric hair trimmer because it gets it short enough to where it's mostly non-visible (unless you're looking at it close up,) and that's acceptable for me for the time being, but I want something that won't take hours to do (like shaving,) won't lead to ingrown hairs, and won't be a huge expense. My long term plan to deal with my body hair (and I have hair all over,) is to do laser (I'm white and have brown hair,) but for now I need something that can hold me over for when I want to dress up and possibly go out in public. So I was thinking maybe an electric shaver since I doubt they give a close enough shave to lead to ingrown hairs, but it'll still be much closer than just scraping an electric hair trimmer over my body, and it'll probably be easier on my skin. For those that have used them before, do you think it would work okay on my body hair (chest, shoulders, arms, back, legs, butt, etc.) ?

MarcieMarie12

Shaving I've found works best for me. HRT has made that easier. I find that the electric shaver does not do as good a job as I would like, but is definitely quicker.

Rylie M

Personally i'm using a epilator its gotta be one of the greatest and evilest temporary hair removal systems depending on how thick your hair is and where it is. I got a remeton Ep7010 for under 30 from amazon.

Guest Sarah1967

Shaving I've found works best for me. HRT has made that easier. I find that the electric shaver does not do as good a job as I would like, but is definitely quicker.

I have to agree with Marcie HRT has made shaving my legs a lot easier because the HRT has made the hair thinner, softer an lighter and softer smoother skin. As far as hair on my tummy an chest there is no hair there anymore to shave :)

MarcieMarie12

Today I was shaving my legs and noticed for the first time that the razor wasn't covered in dark hairs.

Cosmo

Although somewhat pricey for an electric razor the Wahl super shaver comes very close to a razor shave. It's a professional razor used by barbers when doing a fade. Also the gold foil really minimizes if not eliminates the ingrown hair challenge.

Just keep in mind that the razor will not shave long hair. If it's more than a few days old, ymmv, you may have to use the trimmer to get it short enough to.feed through the foil. It also helps to lightly dust the skin with talcum powder to act as a drying agent and lubricant to avoid skin irritation. Also if the foil becomes torn, absolutely do not use it. The razor will.shred you skin in quick order. Worse than any razor cut.

OnThePath

Although somewhat pricey for an electric razor the Wahl super shaver comes very close to a razor shave. It's a professional razor used by barbers when doing a fade. Also the gold foil really minimizes if not eliminates the ingrown hair challenge.

Just keep in mind that the razor will not shave long hair. If it's more than a few days old, ymmv, you may have to use the trimmer to get it short enough to.feed through the foil. It also helps to lightly dust the skin with talcum powder to act as a drying agent and lubricant to avoid skin irritation. Also if the foil becomes torn, absolutely do not use it. The razor will.shred you skin in quick order. Worse than any razor cut.

Thanks for the info :)

And I've considered an epilator, but the ingrown hair issue comes into play with that I imagine.

tracy_j

I have always used electric shavers and epilators. I have a similar problem with ingoing hairs. I used to use an epilator over my legs and tummy but the ingrowing hairs were a major problem. The only foil razors I use is a small one which I only use on my face and the bikini trimmer which has additional cutting blades for longer hairs.

I use several shavers collected over the years as different designs are suited for different areas:

For my legs I use a normal shave which cuts very close to skin.

For my upper thighs and bottom, stomach and chest I use a shaver with different settings - set to 0.4mm (it's closest). Beware of very soft skin on upper thighs as it is very easily nicked. This is one reason for using the shaver I do as it is better guarded. At a glance 0.4 mm is not noticeable and with very sheer tights legs look like bare skin.

On my back I use a shaver that is long enough for me to reach (fine, close to body cut).

Just above my pubic area I use a bikini trimmer for really close cut (some minor issues with ingrowing hairs but problem reduces as time goes on).

For underarms I use a battery epilator. I have no problems with ingrowing hairs here but underarms are tricky to get to.

For my hands, feet, knees and arms I use a different epilator (this one is mains powered and is more powerful than the other. I have found it trickier to use). I occasionally get ingrowing hair issues on forearms but nothing too problematic.

One tip I found here was witch hazel. I now use a foaming t tree and witch hazel wash over my body daily and this seems to reduce inflamation and ingrowing hair problems but it has not stopped them altogether. One thing I have noticed though is that, with time and good management, my ingrowing hair problem is very much reduced. At first, especially on my legs, it was a major issue but now I seldom get any there.

The foregoing might sound rather complicated but it is not a daily process and with organisation does not take long at all. I think the time taking parts are reaching parts you cannot see or get to easily which would be an issue with any method.

Tracy

OnThePath

Thanks for that very informative post Tracy. Right now I can only afford to get one, so what type of razor would you recommend for general body use?

tracy_j

The most versatile razor I use is my Babyliss for men Model 7863U (I cannot find this on Amazon.com so look at 7890U for similar type). I know these are expensive (I bough mine in a sale) but they have the advantage of good variablility of cut without having to change guards and a well protected cutter (guard) so over most of my body (including back, bottom etc) I can just cut away without worrying about nicks (just beware of inner thighs, although I do use it here without problem, just being careful). I use this for my eyebrows as well with a longer cut. This is the one that gives 0.4mm but this is the minimum.

What I tend to do is look at the specifications on the boxes for different razors and pick the one for the cut I need as they vary. I have avoided foil razors in the main. This is partly because I have grown up always using other types for shaving and I have found (as Cosmo mentioned) a foil razor gets nasty if the foil is worn out / damaged, whereas other types just seem to lose efficiency or have motor or battery failures (I have worn out the motor in an epilator - maybe they are not happy with major hassle from male hair?).

I also use a Remington HC5150 without a guard for general areas, although unlike the Babyliss it cannot be used everywhere unless you have help. This is harder to use because of possibility of nicks so I don't use it in tight or hidden areas, back and inner thights. It gives a closer cut than the Babyliss which I now find to be less of a problem with ingowing hairs than initially. This (or a variant of) does seem to be available on Amazon.com so you can look at it.

I have a couple of epilators. My suggestion here would be to try a cheaper one before investing a lot as some people like them and some hate, but bear in mind that the more expensive ones can be more versatile.

Tracy

OnThePath

Thank you again so much, Tracy. This is all very helpful information. I'm hoping to get one next week, I really hope it pans out, because I desperately need a more convenient hair removal method that doesn't mar up my skin.

tracy_j

Actually the Philips shaver is similar to the Philips shaver I use on my face (male shave). I have used Philips shavers for my face for many years and found them reliable and effective.

The Panasonic is similar in design to the bikini trimmer I use although the one I use is nowhere near as good (at least from its specifications).

Interestingly I have never used my Philips for body hair although with my issues with ingrowing hairs it is only recently I have begun to shave more closely in some areas. I'll try it at some point and see how it goes.

Tracy

OnThePath

Hmm..that makes me think that maybe I should get the panasonic one for now, and then maybe invest in a higher quality one later. I'd love to hear how one like the Phillips one works on body hair, since that's what I'll be using it on, I'd really appreciate it, Tracy. Thanks again, you're awesome :)

tracy_j

I just tried my Philips on my inner thighs but I am not sure how conclusive the result is because my Philips is a good number of years old so past it's prime (as I said - I have found them reliable).

With the Philips I got some skin damage and irritation. Nothing too major but would put me off using it.

In comparison I used my bikini trimmer on the other inner thigh. This worked far better with no apparent irritation. This shaver though is only a few months old.

I think it is worth thinking of a few facts:

1: The Philips shaver you specify is designed for use on a man's face. The skin is likely to be far tougher than that of the inner thighs and some other areas. The Panasonic is designed for all over use.

2: A woman's skin is somewhat softer than a man's so a woman's shaver would likely be gentler.

3: Hair on a man's body is somewhat tougher generally than a woman's. It is only after HRT that the hair becomes softer although I have found that with constant attention and moisturising my hair is not too bad. I burnt out the motor on my first epilator but that was when I was trying it all over, so I suspect was partly due to the heavy duty it was forced to perform. I say this as a thought as I don't know how the probable minor differences in design of male and female shavers may have an influence.

4: Neither shaver you state has capability of measured short cut, like a trimmer may have. For me that would mean having an additional trimmer (which I have) to sort areas where I have difficulty with ingrowing hairs. This would obviously depend on your personal experiences so maybe just try whichever shaver you may go with, although maybe in areas at first. I have some t tree / witch hazel balm which I used on my thighs this morning to sooth the irritated areas after shaving although normally I just moisturise if no irritation.

I hope I have not made things too conflicting, but like with most things, it is a bit of a compromise. My personal choice would be to look at the Panasonic (but this is not a recommendation to what you should do) as for me it is designed for body hair on soft skin and perhaps better suited for legs etc (long straight cuts). It is cheaper and the reviews seem good.

Tracy

OnThePath

Yeah, I've been thinking to go with the cheaper one anyway, just as an experimental purchase. The most important place for me though, is on my chest/shoulders/upper back area, that's what's most visible if I'm not wearing something with sleeves, and it's the most work.

tracy_j

I find mid / upper back the trickiest - it's acting a bit of a contortionist to reach :D

DaHudie Biz

Get the right kind though. Philips is the cheapest over time.