• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

legs and arms shaving

Autumn

Girls?

How do you do it? I suppose it gets easier with practice?

I shaved my legs and arms, and underarms today for the first time. I managed to cut both my knees, not badly, but enough to sting for a while afterwards. What are all your experiences with shaving, especially the first time like I just did?

Guest Ladyinker

Hi Autumn,

Ok, I would recommend getting a woman's razor for sensitive skin, and possibly some shaving gel for sensitive skin too. Shave with the grain if at all possible, I know sometimes that can be hard. Practice does make perfect. Also moisturizing lotion after your shower is a good habit to get into, dry skin doesn't like to shave all that well. I hope this helps.

Erin

• Forum Moderator

Personally I use electric shavers rather than wet razors. I have always used electric shavers even when in male mode. I use moisturising lotion all over my body twice a day as I find it helps for good soft skin. After shaving it is soothing.

Even an electric shaver can cut skin in sensitive spots but over the general leg / arm areas it is straightforward.

Tracy

Guest Alicia Rose

Many years ago when I first started shaving, I would ALWAYS get the annoying razor burn (red bumps) and even cut myself around any thin areas. It's so annoying! But I've been shaving my entire body almost daily for many years, so I've improved and don't really have any issues. With time, you will get better too!

Currently, I'm using AVEENO Active Naturals "Positively Smooth Shave Gel". My other favorite is Skintimate Shower Gel. They smell nice too! I'd suggest going with Shave Gels like those, not shaving cream. I also use 5-blade razors. I've been using Schick Quattro For Woman. Stay away from those cheap razors and invest in something with good replaceable blades.

My shave routine:

Start a nice warm shower and wash my body normally. Warm water helps soften hairs.

Then I turn off the water (preserves hot water too!), and sit down in my tub and shave my legs. Then rinse off.

Then I shave the rest of my body and rinse off again before getting out. Use cool/cold water on your legs right before you get out, if you want.

Dry off and apply some good lotion. Something that won't irritate your skin after shaving.

This takes me around 40 minutes.

Yes! It gets easier and becomes another simple task you might hate doing but totally worth it.

Other options that help are Laser Hair Removal, Electrolysis and HRT. Enjoy the smoothness!

• Forum Moderator

I use an epilator on my legs. There are a great many little ouches but never too bad. Otherwise i use a battery powered shaver in the shower using soap as the lubricant. I get a very close shave with no cuts or rash.

Hugs,

Charlize

I shave my arms and legs when I am going out to a special event (like most of the cis women I am friends with). And yes you may bleed as you start shaving, but that goes away fast.

An epilator is also a good choice but know it will hurt the first time you use it, but bet much better with use. I would start on the lowest setting, and definitely don't use it on your face. Over time your hairs shouldn't grow as fast. As for me it's too much effort. Shave when I need to, don't think about it when I don't need to shave. I found over time it becomes less important and life returns to normal (4 years living full time).

Jennifer

Guest AshleighP

As always, lots of good advice. The best being practice makes perfect. I have been shaving every area of my body that I can reach for a few years now. It takes time to learn the " topography" of your body. Once you do, the nicks and cuts will diminish. Take it slowly and carefully until you learn where the sensitive areas are. Good razors are important as well. Yes, there is a difference between men's and ladies razors. Lotion after will help soothe and soften your skin. Enjoy the process and the results!

• Forum Moderator

It is relevant to the subject and alluded to by Jennifer. I have been using an epilator on underarms for a while now and have noticed recently (and particularly today) that hair growth seems to have reduced considerably. I use the epilator weekly and noticed today that there was little growth since last Saturday.

Tracy

• 1 month later...
Guest BobbiLee

Ok, silly question here...as far a razors, does a razor for women make a difference? If so, what is different other than the color?

Thanks,

Bobbi

• Forum Moderator

Bobbi I am not sure of any difference other than the color and maybe weight. The masculine versions of disposable razors seem to be a little heavier. On ones with the replaceable blade cartridges, I haven't seen any meaningful difference except for the marketing.

Guest JaneShannon

I just did a little research on the differences between men's and women's razors. The design differences are based on where and how the razor is used. Men's are designed to be used at a sink with the stroke going down. Women's are designed to be used in the shower with the stroke going different directions. While the blades are the same, the heads are different. Women's blades are more independent of each other to allow them to flex over knees and ankles. Finally, the head shape of a woman's is designed to help pull the skin tight as the blade moves over it.

So saying. I have used both. I do think my underarms get a closer shave with a woman's razor, but a man's razor works fine too.

Guest Sarah1967

When I started shaving I would get the red bumps an my legs itched bad after the years an being on HRT my legs are easy to shave I do it in the shower I just use caress body wash an when I'm done shaving I put baby oil on my legs and they stay soft an smooth,, :)

Gosh, I'd forgotten about that itching after shaving my legs (I've had my legs lasered about 6 years ago). Not pleasant.

Anyway, something I do religiously every day in the shower is once I've finished using my soap all over and rinsing off is to then use a shower wash by Nivea (if you look in Poundland or Savers, you can normally pick them up for a pound). They are in a white bottle with a dark blue top and come in a number of different 'flavours' (my favourite was Diamond but recently I've picked up some Honey and Milk which smells divine). Anyway, I use some of this over my entire body and just rinse off - it leaves my skin feeling lovely and silky smooth. I've had colleagues remark how smooth my skin feels.

http://shop.nivea.co.uk/wash-deodorant/shower-cream-gel/nivear-harmony-time-shower-cream-500ml.html

The link above will give you an idea of what it looks like but like I said - you can get these much cheaper in Poundland, Savers, Bodycare and I think I've even seen them on offer in Boots too.

So there you are, my secret's out - heehee.

I have never shaved my body, always have done it with waxing. For me that kills the hair to where now I have very little and it is soft, blonde and sparse instead of being sharp and scratchy when it grows out. I went 8 weeks this last time between waxing and I used to be really hairy all over.

• Forum Moderator

Thanks for sharing that Diane.

When i was in the salon a few visits ago i got my eyebrows waxed. The family that operates the salon is Vietnamese and are lovely people but their english isn't very good (better than my Vietnamese). The woman helping me mentioned my arms. I think i might spring for that next time. Although my hair is very blond on my arms there is a good bit more than i would like and shaving is a nuisance.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest LesleyAnne

I'll put in my 2 pennies....

I started out using an IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) on the dark hairs I had left on my face, arms, legs, chest, tummy, and wherever :wacko: .

This worked great, and after many uses I've pretty much eliminated the bulk of my hair on my arms, and legs. And on my tummy, and chest I have hardly any hair left at all...just a few fine fuzzy almost clear hairs that I pluck with tweezers when they show up in certain light.

Now I have very few hairs on my arms, legs etc. So an epilator is my weapon of choice, even under my arms. (just be careful if you are elderly like me since an epilator will snag some of that old wrinkled skin, and it hurts!),

My face has thick white hairs that are stubborn, and my only choice is to visit the electrologist twice a month (not fun but necessary for me!).

If you still have dark hairs IPL works great...keep in mind that hair has different growth cycles, and it sometimes seems you are not making headway, but after several zaps with the IPL the dark hairs will eventually disappear. :thumbsup: