• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Jean fit type for someone recently on hormones?

ScullerAndrea

I've just recently started hormones, so my body type is still basically "guy", but I'd still like to start wearing women's jean for the mental aspect. Which one of the various fit types would be best for me?

• Forum Moderator

When i first bought jeans i found the best approach was to go to the thrift store and buy some cheap ones after i had consulted the size charts available in catalogues at the time. I think experimentation worked but i still have to try jeans on before i buy them more than i do a skirt which usually only needs to fit my waist.

It is a fun process. Enjoy finding your style.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

You'll find woman's jeans and slacks to generally have a "pinched" waist compared to guys pants. When looking to fit your waistline you may find the hips to be larger than expected. As Charlize suggests, look for inexpensive options to try first. Also if you look online to shop (LL Bean, Lands Ends, Penney's, Banana Republic, etc.) you'll find each has a fit chart that lists the dimensions for each size. This should give you some ideas on size that will fit you. Unlike guy clothes, women's sizes (dimensions) tend to be variable between different manufacturers. So you have to check sizes depending upon brand. I've found that tops are a little more consistent in sizes but you still have to check for your fit.

Have fun!
Jani

Basically with any shopping, half the fun is picking out what you like and then the other half is trying it on in the store (if you are ready for that). That way I don't have a lot of returns.

Guest Clair Dufour

Most women's jeans go by dress size and with a letter for short or petite, long or wide or plus. With a 28 inseam I wear a short. Sizes 18 an above seem to get wider regardless as do shirts with more bust space. I now prefer jegging as they fit any shape and the size determines how tight the look. I have them from size 12 to 18/20. Same with jeans buy stretch. They also pad much better. Try and stick with one brand as they do vary brand to brand. I have been wearing them for over forty years and few people notice even with fancy pockets. Stretch shirts are neat too. Add jacket to tone down the breastforms, leg warmers or women's boots and you got a mod women's to hipster look going. You can also slip on a skirt or long button up dress when you get to a place you feel comfortable. Women's clothes weigh less than half of mens and are so much softer.

Guest LesleyAnne

I started off ordering online from places like Walmart, Kohls, JC Pennys, mainly because you can try them on at home, and if they don't fit to your liking those three stores will take then back at the store itself.

I love Amanda's from Kohls, and also Levi's, Riders from Walmart. I have learned that I can find the Tall sizes easier online. Since I'm 5'10" most jeans I have are in tall. However when you want a look that is currently more hip , skinny jeans are fun, and worn at the right length will show off cute sandals, heels, or boots.

A little warning though.......you will find that one pair of jeans are real cute with those favorite sandals you found, and so you need another pair of jeans that look great with your sexy boots, and then the heels....oh the heels..............I need a million dollars, and a much bigger closet! LOL :hairpull:

• Forum Moderator

Just my experience but I tend to go for stretch fit as they conform to my figure. The problem I get is that my calf muscles are large so I need to go for a larger size waist than I do with a skirt though. It can make them a bit loose on the waist. Interestingly reading 'by the book' the waist size I buy for skirts should in reality be too small for me but it usually isn't :unsure: . Beware of size variations between brands!

Tracy

When i first bought jeans i found the best approach was to go to the thrift store and buy some cheap ones after i had consulted the size charts available in catalogues at the time. I think experimentation worked but i still have to try jeans on before i buy them more than i do a skirt which usually only needs to fit my waist.

It is a fun process. Enjoy finding your style.

Hugs,

Charlize

I sing in the Thrift Store choir. Women's clothes sizes are all over the map! Mainly because women are all shapes and sizes. The fitting room is your friend.

Super cheap clothing you can donate with little loss when you're done with them. The bonus is you will get an eye for what may fit you off the rack. Then it will be easier to shop for new quality apparel. Just relax and have fun with it! Nothing kicks in female hormones like a relaxing day of shopping. Ask any woman. Giggle.

Great suggestion on starting with the thrift stores for jeans. You'll have to dig but you'll find all kinds of brands and sizes and the price will usually be under $10. I've found new jeans/tags still on so there are certainly some treasures to be found. I find that stretch type jeans seem to fit me the best and look the best on me. These days I rarely wear jeans so a few pairs seem to work for me. However, some of my girlfriends have whole racks devoted to their, ahemmm...jean collection (a.k.a. fetish LOL!)

Like Claire, I also like jeggings for their comfort, fit and versatility. I really like these from No Nonsense. And these from Hanes are some of my faves.

• Forum Moderator

We just returned from a large Goodwill center and they had a HUGE selection of jeans, and strangely enough many had the original tags still attached. I tried on several but I really prefer the high waisted type so nothing for me today. My partner likes the hip hugger type and they look good on her. Charlize and Briana's advice is spot on since nothing was over $8.

I was able to pick up a half dozen summer tops and two great skirts, all for $30.

Jani

• 3 months later...
Guest AshleighP

Totally on the thrift store bandwagon! A good portion of my wardrobe is from Goodwill. Funny, it seems to be the one store where my wife will let me look and buy to my heart's content. I guess it helps that I pick out things for her at the same time. She says I have better taste than she does. When I pick something up, she will ask if I chose it for her or for me. 

Anyway, small investment until you find the size and style you like. Different styles fit differently. I like the idea of ordering online from local stores. May have to try that.

Most importantly, have fun!

Since most all women (trans or CIS) have trouble finding clothing that fits well AND looks good, I'll be brutally honest: You have to try them on. And don't get carried away buying tons because you will change with hormones and any weight shifts.

I learned a long time ago that I hated clothing shopping before because I hate men's clothing. I can spend all day trying on women's clothing and shoes, and have! LOL

You'll find the same size from two different brands fit totally different and that different brands use totally different sizing philosophies. :)