• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Joy of wigs

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I must admit to being at times jealous of my sisters here and elsewhere who have their own natural hair. I don't. My male pattern baldness had progressed way to far to ever look good so i shave. The amazing thing is that otherwise there is no maintenance to my hair. I sleep bald as i am and upon waking simply slip on my hair. A quick brush and i'm off. Oddly i often get compliments from other women. They say things like "i hope your hairdresser know the color....it's beautiful" or "i wish i had your hair." It's all i can do not to hand it to them.

Anyway i thought i would hate having to wear this daily all day for the rest of my life. I don't. I have a wig to work in and one to wear in public. When the good one gets too tired it becomes my work wig.

i must admit that during this heat wave i've been tying a bandana around my head like an African American friend does and i wear a big straw hat unless i need ear protection. That's just fine around the farm and i'm almost at the point where i wouldn't worry too much if someone came down the drive.

It's me....even if i look like i'm on chemo.

Anyway if you need a wig don't worry. They are fun. Wearing them isn't so bad at all. With time you forget it and it becomes almost as natural as your own hair without the hassles (or the joys).

Hugs,

Charlize

Wigs can certainly be fun, Charlize. :thumbsup:

At an 8 count, I do have a few choices, but tended to stay with my favourite 2.

Earlier this summer I had enough. After growing my few strands for 2 years they were finally long enough so I was able to donate them to a cause.

When the weather is "cooler" here I tend to wear a bandana. Damn, I've sewn 6 reversibles, so far. :)

The temperatures have been holding around the 90-95 degree F (32 - 36 degree C) mark lately.

I've stopped wearing my bandana and simply present as a bald, hopefully, female.

Home on the "farm" I have "never" worn my hired help.

This is who I am and people may just as well get used to this.

Yeah, I dance to my own music. <Giggle>

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

• Admin

Even though my hair is wall to wall (ear to ear, front to back), as it became estrogen infused it grew back baby fine and absolutely no body or curl, or even the ability to curl it seems to my hair stylist. We do have a nice color that puts me back 25 years in time and gets me some compliments from time to time and over several years has gotten to shoulder length+ but I still like wearing the wigs I accumulated back in the days when I was doomed to very short male hair cuts for a variety of reasons. The wigs are not my "Girl Hair" that was necessary for me to make a feminine appearance in public for many years, but are now "accessories" that go with certain outfits or for special occasions such as performing with my Trans* music group, or some other public event when they do make me inclusively glam with other women who can pull of the hair do's. I also wear them to places where other girls who are CD or less than full time friends are, such as local "clubs" or events so that I blend in even with that crowd, and also since some of my wigs are light blond, or a couple even the pink or purple that are sooooo cute on many people. Putting my hair up under the wigs is not a problem since it is so fine, but I just don't worry about hair any more, I just have fun as I can, and I do enjoy my trips to the hair salon where my stylist who has a MtF sister and I can chat and joke as she does my color.

Guest LesleyAnne

Charlize,

I'm so glad you brought this up :) .

I too have to wear a wig, and I have to admit I would rather have my own hair even with all the care involved. But I too have that male pattern baldness that attacked me back in my twenties. :( I tried minoxidil (Rogaine) for 6 months plus and got only a few Popeye's to appear. I have let my curtains grow long now, and I love the color of my natural hair (snow white, and soft), but I would like to find a glue on lace that just covers the top, and front of my head. I have read that these can be worn for a week to 10 days, and shampoo, style, and even swim in them.

My problem is I haven't found any that cover the forehead as well as the crown. They either make them for either but not both? My other problem is I have a larger than average head size (average cap is what most companies sell) so the standard non-custom wigs don't fit well, they are tight on my head, and now that I have let my own hair grow, I find that the wigs I have now are even tighter trying to fit my hair under the cap (around the sides of my head). It makes it very difficult to keep the wig on, and from slipping around.

So I'm hoping some of the girls can weigh in here and offer advice/companies that can give me both worlds...covering the front and crown, and keep my natural hair in the back, and sides.

Oh, and I wanted to tell you that I did discover an online place that offers very nice bangs that affix to a hat, (I use a ball cap with it) and that way you can keep your head somewhat cool in this heat. The bangs will also work with a bandana (I have a couple). Since my bandana drapes down the back of my head it looks like I have the bandana covering my natural hair. Just a suggestion that has worked pretty well for me.

If you'd like that website I can provide it, but not sure if it is okay to provide that in the forum.

Anyway.....girls? Where can I find a forehead/ topper or suggestions on how to incorporate my natural hair with a partial wig?

• Admin

LesleyAnne, there are places that cater to chemo therapy and alopecia patients that can actually make custom hair pieces like you describe. They are discreet since those are medical issues, and lets face it, your need is a medical one as well. There are also some places that deal in theatrical hair pieces that have sources as well. Yes, you are looking at money, but most of the custom work these days is excellent.