• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Presenting as male while on female hormones

How long do you think a person could remain presenting as male while on hormones? For various reasons it might be a year or even 2 before I come out publicly, at work, etc. but I want to start hormones now.

• Admin

On July 6, 2009 I began my HRT. I did let my immediate supervisor know that I was taking medication that could have side effects that could be physically noticed, but only really told her that they were in response to a medical problem that she knew about. Nothing came her way or mine until 12 months out.

The next summer a heated difference between myself and a peer management colleague did get me asked if my irritability, which was unusual could be related to the medications I had mentioned. (Yes, dammit, I was at my PMS mark. The colleague was a natal female going through menopause.) I felt it best to come out and say what the meds were and why I was using them. I did not "come out" to my supervised staff or other co-workers although I told my supervisor to let our two upper levels of management know if needed.

Four months later I did make a decision to retire, and when the paperwork started, I did come out to the department, where a few people had wondered, but not enough to ask. My last day of work was in March 2011. I was asked to re-consider retirement, and told I would be very welcome to do it on the job as a manager, but I was ready to retire as well.

it depends on a lot of things. But check my profile picture, it's after more or less 18 months. At a certain point it's up to how tolerant you are to looking a little akward. Either way you will look a little strange for a while. I don't think we can escape it.

I think that at one point if you wait 2 years people will start to suspect something ;)

Thank you for sharing that, Vicky. My workplace is very supportive of trans people, but there is also a lot of gossip, and certain people I would rather not know until I'm a lil closer to retirement.

it depends on a lot of things. But check my profile picture, it's after more or less 18 months. At a certain point it's up to how tolerant you are to looking a little akward. Either way you will look a little strange for a while. I don't think we can escape it.

I think that at one point if you wait 2 years people will start to suspect something ;)

I'm known to be kind of "unusual" to begin with -- I'm a librarian after all (sort of) - lol. So you are saying there are facial changes that would be apparent? I've been focusing on breast growth.

I came out before starting HRT. I don't think it will be that bad. I've studied in litterature and know many people in that particular domain and I don't think it will be that bad.

For facial feature I made a little comparison between my own 18 months and 1 month before starting hrt to give you a point of reference. But the effects of HRT vary so wildly that I don't know just how usefull it is to compare :P

Face feature comparison

• Forum Moderator

There is a big difference in male looks and behaviors. While someone might notice an abrupt change i doubt anyone will notice much more. You may need to wear baggy shirts or perhaps to bind a bit. As Drea said you probably could be on HRT indefinitely and unless you brought it up. Speaking of that you might want HR to know that your on medication. It might simply matters down the road.

I went full time a good bit prior to starting HRT. The changes happened gradually once i started but at that point i certainly didn't want to not be myself. You may find it more difficult than you think to live so close to a dream and not make the final steps to make it a reality. Even so i'm sure it can be done.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest KerryUK

There are so many different factors affecting development on HRT Wendy - this is why the term Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) is used so much here. Nobody can tell how quickly or by how much your body will change - my body is still developing after 3 years on HRT and I haven't been misgendered for a long time. I would not be able to pass as male anymore. I also know of others here who entered 'male fail' as soon as 6 months.

Summer time can be the most difficult. Other seasons you can use layers of clothing to conceal. It's the freedom, happiness and mannerisms that might give you away.

Guest Clair Dufour

As said it varies. Some MTF's here have asked about binders as all they do is take the pills to feel better and don't often dress. Many women a very manish and many men quite fem, more so in SD. This is easy to test. Put a stuffed bra on with you man clothes and see big you can go. You be surprized how big you can go before you get a second look. Plus, if your like most of us your at that man boob age. I do it quite often and few notice. Butt pads, same thing, some guys have big butts and hams. I even wear boots with 3.5 inch heels with boot cut jeans, same thing except for having to tone down the girl walk. Skinny jeans with 2 inch boots, no problem. Short shorts same. But the skirt, the sacred cow skirt, wear a skirt and you better have good pass going and be in a place where their common. Its not that people are nasty, its that they stare and smile a lot. We turned a dozen drag queens loose at the farmers market the other day and all went well. Of course people who go to the farmers market are kinda weird anyway. I've spent a lot of time in SD. You could live in a skirt in Gayborhoods like Kensington and some do.

Guest DianeATL

I did it for a couple of years but had to resort to compression shirts as binders. Other things like letting my hair grow or using clear nail polish were much more of a give away than the hormones.

I use a sports team tee shirt one size up, to help hide the headlights and a cap for my colored hair. If somebody knows you real well, that's a different story. Sarah

• 1 month later...
Guest noeleena

Hi .

concerning meds  , can as is different for each person ,

In my case meds had or have little effect on myself and that covers many different types,

I know how my body reacts to them or just sends them on their way , of cause my body is configured some what differently , so its makes little or no different how I dress and that goes back 59 years  so this is about what you see .

If I wear male clothes all youd note is I have breasts and really that's all if im wearing overall,s then I doubt youd know I have breasts, if im in swimming togs youd see and youd note I don't have boys detail down below nothing there ,just my female detail,   body is normal female  where it all falls down is you may be perplexed as to know what I am because of my facial features  no matter my  clothes  i will allways have my masculine look ,

So my woman friend is correct I made or make a better looking = handsome looking man, Ill say did as she was refering to when I was younger,

As far as it goes I could take the meds all my life say from age 18 on and you would not note any change yet I know some who have major outward appreance changes  facial  breasts to a point and hair , so depends on the person .

Most of my changes have been my own hormones = female  coming into play and that really was 7 years  just lovely little things going on ,

Age has a bearing as well ,

With your ?  how long could you remain  presenting as male  for you only you will ...see... that as you change, 

If I went to another country other than Austraila no one would know and I could live as a male  breasts and all till you strip me down and then   ooops female  and I had been told why don't I just live as a male , I said well  I,m really just a female that's different ....

so you see meds don't allways work for  every one  im just bring this up so people should be aware of ones body differences and not every one  is the same .

to your ?  up to you really  how long as long as you wont or need to,  could depend on your own hormones and how strong they are and your age  there are  a lot of other factors that could have an effect  so hit and miss  and   wait   and see,

...noeleena...