• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What if I identify as both woman and man

Sophitasdream

Hi.  I'm Sophita John.  New to the forum.  In my opinion every person is unique, especially in identity.  I am resistant to the idea of being categorized as one thing or the other.  My issue is that I am biologically male.  Yet looking back to my childhood I identified more closely as female, and recall often being identified by others as a girl, before my parents would correct them. As I grew, my body maintained a feminine shape, but without the breasts.  For many years I wished that I was a girl/woman.  As I matured, I began to perceive myself as both masculine and feminine, and I enjoy many things that many would consider feminine, and many things that would be considered masculine.  And I don't like either of those divisions.  They feel externally imposed.  At one point I had a health issue where I began to lactate and was getting real bad headache.  I was referred to an endocrinologist, who diagnosed that I had a hormone imbalance, most notably my oxytocin level was 40× that of average, which led to the lactation.  The endocrinologist prescribed a medication to prevent this, and my body changed to a more masculine shape.  This gave me some insight.  It seems my natural hormone levels fluctuate between male and female levels,  leaning mostly toward female which accounts for my old body shape, lack of body hair, lactation and feminine leaning behavior.

The Burning Question: Is this a socially acceptable proposition, to pursue a breast augmentation, without need of hormone treatment to live primarily as a woman, and to do so primarily for sexual reasons, yet keep my male anatomy for the same purpose?  And does the community have a label for me if I do?

• Admin

Some place, every one of us has a label whether or not we like it.  Gender queer or gender fluid would be the "Handle With Care" designations i think of first for your situation.

Among us here at the Playground and in other places I find myself you would be highly socially acceptable unless you leave used chewing gum on chair seats for others to sit in.  Dig on in and enjoy yourself.  You are part of the tribe that lives here.  I would not recommend making a point of it in some political entities here in the U.S, but Californians such as we are are generally pretty accepting.

BA without HRT is one where I am sure there are doctors out there who will do it almost casually and with no problems, but most will need a thorough going over by themselves and by a Behavioral health person (Gender Therapist is one kind) that can be assured that you are able to reason maturely and are not under other medical contraindications. 

• Forum Moderator

As Vicky noted please don't leave gum on the chairs as you move through the site but otherwise welcome to Laura's.  

I also agree with her that seeing a therapist prior to augmentation would be a good idea.  I have no doubt that a good gender therapist would help you to understand and then to work towards your goals.  A therapists letter could also open up any number of doctors who would be more willing to help you.

Glad you've joined us. 

Hugs,

Charlize