• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Social Media Outrage: Cis-Man Cast As Trans Woman, Again

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/08/matt-bomer-transgender-mark-ruffalo

This has been a big story today in the Twitter-sphere and Face Book, as well as regular media.  In the past I've taken the position that creative license, plus the need to actually sell a movie with a name star, were just as important as casting a trans person.  In this case, Matt Bomer isn't close to being an A-list actor, and this isn't a major studio production, so my earlier arguments are less persuasive.

Funny isn't it that Ruffalo wants to talk to the community now, after the movie has been made.  His empathy falls flat.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I saw this and like you i can't get excited.  I wonder how many  qualified trans actors there are now that we have so many roles available.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

Several people, (a few of whom I know IRL), have made some valid points in their blogs, tweets, etc.  I agree with their point, that casting a cis male as a Trans* woman does make it appear that all Trans* women are only "males acting with a dress and bad make-up on".  They may do a highly credible job, but as the screen credits roll at the end of the show, there is a man's name, and when the men pick up awards for doing a female character such as one did, the message of "male with a dress as a down and dirty woman, while wearing bad make up."  As I gather, the added twist to this one is that it is simply a bad movie as well.

As far as the number of qualified Trans* people who are actors Charlize, I will have to refer you to my agent who is working her little Trans*heart out to get us roles and auditions.  I may add that this is a talent agency for Trans* people, and some are getting work from it. 

Actors and actresses are supposed to play characters whom they are not in real life. That's acting. I don't see a problem with this.

• Forum Moderator

I can see this from both sides but I think the real issue is that this is a problem with society not the movie industry. A good portrayal of a trans subject would work whether or not the actor is trans. It could also be imagined that bad portrayal of a trans lifestyle could set things back many years even if the actor is trans. The media and whoever calls the shots have a major input to how things are seen. Personally I like to take a movie as it comes without my mind being clouded by critics, good or bad!

Tracy