• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I need advice on what makeup to use

berlitz9999

I'm transitioning mtf and I just gotta know how to make my shadow unnoticed. I use Maybelline Dream Mousse foundation, and it looks mostly flawless. It's just, sometimes I wonder if some people still kinda notice my shadow a bit. It doesn't look like it's there like 85ish percent, especially in the light, but it's just I wonder if there's a way to make it perfect.

There are a couple of things you can do, first is to use a either a creamblend stick (performers use these for stage lighting BTW) in orange, or red lipstick. You really want to use the red or orange to cancel out the blue of the beard

• Forum Moderator

If you google Silly Trans Woman she has a good write up in her blog on this subject.  There's actually a link on Laura's Playground main site.

Jani

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AshleighP

I truly enjoy posts like this as I always glean a bit of information from them. I am fortunate (?) to be a bit older so my facial hair has for the most part, turned gray. It has always been a bit sparse as well. After a good close shave, a bit of Cover Girl foundation that matches my complexion, some powder, and a touch of blush, and all is covered. It took me a while to find the right shade, but I wear it every day now, even to work.

Nobody has ever said that they can tell I am wearing makeup, but I suspect some people notice and are polite enough not to mention it. I gave up trying to hide it. 

I spend a good amount of money on my makeup. It's worth the money tho. Good brushes are a MUST! I LOVE M.A.C., Urban Decay, and Stila. You can skimp on things like blush and powder contour. I suggest Stila for a foundation. It's nice and thick, great coverage, but not to heavy. When blotted on with a sponge it looks air brushed. I get TONS of compliments on my makeup because of it. I think it'd work well for covering/hiding whiskers. Get yourself a good eye primer. I suggest Sephora brand. mine is a glitter glue type. It REALLY holds eye shadows on and brightens the color. So you use less shadow . Seriously, Chelsea and I did an under water photoshoot and my makeup was amazing the whole way thru. 

I hope this helps. I'm a cosmetologist, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. 

• Admin

I have used Derma Blend as my primary foundation for years.  It can even do a good job on certain tattoos and it waterproof and light as I use it.  A little expensive up front, but as you learn to use less of it, it will last for several weeks to months. With my combination of HRT and old age gray, making the need for shadow cover almost nothing, I use it for when I am on stage under that lighting, or out in harsh sunlight where it's SPF does great.

Hey Miss Emy I got a question for you.  For my face I use a "no shine" SPF face moisturizer and sunscreen from Nutagena followed by a little Covergirl Tru-Blend concealer on the sides of my chin followed by Tru-blend foundation (oily skin version) and then the coordinating powder.  

After all that jibber jabber the question.  I've recently started using the Covergirl Tru-blend primer. Do I still use the moisturizer followed by the primer or does the primer replace the moisturizer?  Thank you!  :-)

(P.S. Thank you for offering your help/advice.  I'm surprised there aren't at least a 100 posts here by now.  And if your wondering why I don't ask my wife, we're kind of reversed when it comes to makeup and fashion. She has the same makeup routine and product since I've known her and I don't think that's ever gonna change.  It's not her thing.  As for fashion, I'm the one that prevents her from paring pink stripes with red polka dots and women's baggy dowdy bad flowered/Hawaiian style shirts made for those that don't care anymore.)

Briana, 

Use your moisturizer before the primer. Primer isn't really a moisturizer, although if it has moisturizing properties that's a bonus! I don't know your makeup routine but from the looks of your profile picture it looks like you are doing a wonderful job. :-)

I think the biggest issue with new/untrained makeup users I see is that they get all of this on their face and then put their eye shadow on.... Seriously, if any of you out there are doing this, stop it! lol! Eye shadow above all goes on first!!! The loose powder/glitter falls under your eye during application and will work itself into little crevasses and wrinkles. It makes them look deeper and darker. After you apply eye primer and shadow, take a makeup remover towelette and wipe under your eye. You'll be surprised how much shadow you just wiped away. After that follow with your moisturizers, face primers, and foundations ect.

Thank you!  I was continuing to use the moisturizer but I didn't want to duplicate products if not necessary. And you are sooooo right (of course :)) about the eye shadow.  I had no idea and I used to do that last until recently.  I was looking at some perfume at Macys and the counter person who was studying me intently finally asked if I intended to "put" shadow on the corners and under my eyes cause if I did, there was a few techniques and she could show me.  Long story short, she explained what I was doing wrong and showed me the right steps that she recommends which was really nice.  My general routine is moisturizer->primer->eye shadow (now)->foundation->concealer->setting powder (most of the time)->blush->brows->mascara->lipstick->laugh!  :-)

I'm surprised you don't use any type of contouring liquid or powder. That stuff is like magic. I've always felt like my jaw line was square and masculine. Plus I have a lovely knob in the top of the bridge of my nose. When I started using contouring products to fake the shape of my face I fell in love! I usually go with powder because it's quicker. But if we're going out I use liquid . It's more dramatic that way <personal feeling. 

Funny you should bring that up.  It was recommended to me and I'm going to go ahead and give it a go.  I've looked at it in the past, but I always tried to keep my routine simple.  I have to get up early and get ready rather quickly but I think I can fit this in, despite being slowwwwww.  LOL  Brand recommendation and/or any online tutorials that you'd recommend?  Thank you!

To be honest, go cheap with your contour products. I have a little sample powder thing for highlighting and contouring that I got on amazon. However, good brushes are a MUST. I still use my mink brushes that I got while in beauty school 11 years ago. If I use liquid I honestly use a foundation that's a couple shades to dark. There are a million tutorials on YouTube. My suggestion is to play with it :-D. There are so many different ways and techniques for different face shapes. Just sit down watch some videos, grab what you have, and play. Figure out how dramatic or subtle you like it. Blend blend blend! I love this girl. She makes me super happy when I watch her ha! I think she even says she's using an eye shadow for her contour powder. which I don't really suggest. But should you go that route make sure it is a flat shadow. You really don't want sparkles in your contour. 

So, I just found this one and I think the transition is fantastic! Hoping my hubby will let me try it on him sometime.

Haha, I've actually watched this one a couple of times. I would be pumped for you to try on me. I need all the help I can get, lol.

I'm doing the best I can :-). There has been a lot of crying and emotions being only a few days in. I've decided to just dive in and see where my personal limits are at the moment. I won't know if I don't try. If I get uncomfortable I can stop and address it later. No need to force it. I also realized that this is a crucial time in my life. The way I handle my new situation could directly effect the rest of my life and I'd like it to be a positive effect.