• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Are you a one issue voter?

Alejandra

The one thing that kept our military competitive strong and up to date sadly was fighting wars against strong opponents that matched our capabilities, The cold war was not just and Nuclear arms race but many fighter jets tanks and weapons systems came out of that too. For th last several years we have really not needed to maintain air superiority or weapon systems superiority due to the relatively primitive fighting  style of the last few boots on the ground wars we have fought. The F-22 Raptor is a good example of us falling behind in a time when when shouldn't be. Only 130 of these airplanes where made before Obama decided we had enough and shut down the assembly line, which at that time he was right Russia was quite no one else was flying against us that could match The Eagle and the falcon. But now... Russia is not quiet and China is not quiet. Russia has the T-50 and China the J-20 you only have to compare them against the Rapator to tell what they where designed to do. Very well designed air superiority fighters.They were both built specifically to combat the Raptor And they severly out class our 3 main guns. The aging Eagle the Falcon and the Hornet. While it is not known exactly how many each have, they are building them much faster than we are building Raptors( none and it would cost several hundred billion to reboot the assembly lines). We are also short 500 air men. Most of our bombers have fallen into dis repair or are obsolete.  

Our ground forces arn't fairing much better. Last word was we had a sever recruiting deficite short 65 thousand troops and we are still using equipment that has mostly been unchanged in the past 15 to 20 years. They may use tablets and drones now but still fight with pretty much the same standard gear.

Now I don;t believe Russia Annexed Crimea simply for the sake of it " they knew what it would cause " it was a show of capability. They did it almost over night with out killing a single person. Their role in Syria, Russia completely undermind everything Obama has done. They also needed a war to prove and test thier new weapons systems effectiveness and they have done so with show stopping effect.   China is building Weaponized islands for a reason extending their range and making sure that that end of the Continent is protected from both sea and air. We simply don't have the air power man power or resources to fight them both they know it its why they continue to do as they like.

I generally vote for candidates I feel support the best interests of the country as a whole when it comes to any federal office.  This generally does not necessarily align with what some would argue is best for me.

I am not one that votes based on what a candidate is going to do for me.  I vote based on who is going to do the most good.  This is weighed against all the factors in play and what they are likely to achieve while in office.

An outright kook who isn't really liked by either party likely won't get to implement anything.  On the other hand history has shown that handing all reigns of power (congress and president) to one party tends to result in that party being able to implement partisan policies which is always bad. 

The one issue vote, or special interest vote is something one party has courted for many years by dividing people into special interests and talking in favor of that special interest and trying to get them to vote on just that one interest.  *Yawn*, I find that ploy transparent and sophomoric.  I have fall into several special interests and under each I have heard the virtues of how that one candidate who is going to address my special interest. I tend to view such appeals as a check mark against such candidates as the ideal candidate as I see it is one that address general interests of all, not try and appeal to a bunch of special interests.

Unfortunately I find there are few candidates out there that fit my definition of good.

On the subject of media bias.  Of course the media is biased.   Time and against polls of those in the news media show that individually 80% are in favor of one party.  Of course they don't let their personal biases color their reporting.  Reality would suggest differently as one's political views will already predispose one to agree with certain so called "facts" and dismiss other "facts" that doesn't fit their view.  Furthermore it pre-disposes them to think in terms of the counter arguments to opponents assertions.

It is very common for the liberal media to focus on republican candidates during the primary that either are viewed as bad for republicans by the media and especially the  "characters" like trump that make for good media play.  Inevitably in the general election they turn on their own creation.  Nothing I seen in this election cycle seems any different than that.

LGBT rights is my top priority. But other issues matter to me a lot as well. but as for why the video hasn't been released until recently, it is a common tactic. You release scandal stuff close to the election date, so you don't give voters a chance to forget and time for the candidate in question to recover before the election. It is sleezy as hell, but a common tactic. That said, I am glad it happened. I don't like Hillary. I am extremely disappointing that they are my two choices for the first time I get to vote. But I can't stand the thought of Trump getting elected. I refuse to think of the possibility he might. It terrifies me. So instead of voting third party like my initial reaction was, I will vote for her because she has a better chance of winning.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:16 PM, Drea said:

history has shown that handing all reigns of power (congress and president) to one party tends to result in that party being able to implement partisan policies which is always bad

Bad is a huge understatement.  IMO a Hilary administration will be catastrophic.  It will be the end of America as we know it. I can't remember who it was that said this, but it was one of the signers of the American Bill of Rights and Constitution.

A paraphrase would go something like this.  "We have given you your Republic.  Now it is up you to keep it."

The sad fact that the majority of voters are either poorly informed or prefer to put identity politics, or their own personal interests, above the good of our Republic bodes ill for our future.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Loren-t

I will have to say I am really not sure who I will vote for I am typically more of a Democrat voter however I may end up voting 3rd party even though i know their is no chance of a winner.. I was honestly hoping that their would be a candidate that would stand up and really talk about Transgender issues and laws.. If you ask some one to explain exactly what a Transgender individual is the first thing they will bring up is that its an individual that wants to be the opposite sex..  Most generally the individual explaining their thoughts on the word Transgender generally feel that this is some thing that goes away or is possibly made up not real or that the individual is mentally ill.. Usually they won't ever quote the WPATH standard of care and generally they won't discuss success stories of others who have transitioned..  It's so sad that so many individuals out their think that the bathroom is a place to restrict its users.. What business is it of anyone what restroom i use.. Are they going to put cameras in the toilets to make sure when I use the toilet i had made it into the right facility? Do we seriously live in a day in age that we are all savages running around looking at people like statues when they go to the bathroom?

What are these candidates thoughts and opinions on these bathroom laws? What are they going to do to help protect the 5% of Americans that fit into this category? Seriously what are they going to do to ensure insurance covers the cost of our surgeries and medical? What are they going to do with disabled transgender individuals will we get the right to have surgery? Or will they tell us off and say well your disabled we can't help ya now.. I hope not.. My concern is that one day they will gather us all up like we are some sort of cattle or some thing if we keep up t his type of hatred.. All i ask is that or political leaders at least need to have some basic education on the term Transgender and what it means along with the understanding of the medical surrounding the topic.. I have yet to hear any candidate speak up and really discuss what they will do to protect us and exactly their plan on how to do it.. I guess this is my 2 cents take it for what its worth..

• Forum Moderator

As Tomorrow approaches i am so looking forward to voting for Mrs. Clinton.  Yes it has to do with one issue as simplistic as it sounds.  I know i should be more open minded but i see it as good vs. evil.  I'm sure others may feel the same who support Mr. Trump.  I can only hope that the majority makes the correct decision.

As to using the ladies room or men's one candidate's VP has strongly come out against the LGBT community while the other vows to continue the support we have found in the present administration.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I am not a single issue voter but I never vote against my own self interest.  I am constantly amazed at those that do.  

• Admin

Whatever the result after tomorrow, or depending on how close it is, the day or week or month after tomorrow, I have but one request;

Can we, please, put the rancor and divisiveness behind us, and be civil to one another?  We have more in common as a nation than we do as members of a political party.  We need to pull together, because, as in a row boat, if we pull separately, we go nowhere in a big hurry.  I've had enough of going nowhere.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Carolyn Marie said:

Whatever the result after tomorrow, or depending on how close it is, the day or week or month after tomorrow, I have but one request;

Can we, please, put the rancor and divisiveness behind us, and be civil to one another?  We have more in common as a nation than we do as members of a political party.  We need to pull together, because, as in a row boat, if we pull separately, we go nowhere in a big hurry.  I've had enough of going nowhere.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

That's one thing I'm hoping for, and tentatively looking forward to. Just getting to our business at hand, and leaving politics behind as much as possible!

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

• Forum Moderator

Both my e-mail account and phone may be able to cool down after the election.  My delete button is wearing out.

Hugs,

Charlize

I couldn't vote for trump if I was paid. I don't believe he's good business man, all his businesses fail in bankruptcy and I don't think he'd be wealthy if he didn't grow up with money. He's much more than a misogynist, I believe he hates pretty much everyone and is so impressed with himself he's a horrible narcissist..........

Hhmmm....I have never actually met an individual who claimed to be a one-issue/single-issue voter, although I once shared perspectives with a class of voters who superficially resembled such.

Throughout my life I have observed that individuals, regardless of their expressed cause célèbre, were not actually single-issue voters. Rather, their emotional and intellectual attachment to any particular issue was a part of an ideological constellation whose movements were easily charted and readily predictable. 

I have my suspicions that individuals who place a single sociopolitical issue above all else are not genuinely committed to either the republican form of government or the democratic process, regardless of whether said individuals choose to vote or not.  Such individuals seem much more inclined to publicly demonstrate their political sentiments/demands outside the privacy of the voting booth.

However, to succinctly answer the question posed in this thread....No, I am not a single issue voter; I doubt that such a critter exists.

• Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 92 Guests (See full list)

• MaryEllen
    • Mmindy
    • Maddee
    • Charlize