• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What happens if Trump repeals obamacare?

Mitgefühl

Alright, so by the time I get a response to this I imagine either Trump has already been announced POTUS or something has gone terribly wrong.
My parents are using Obamacare and I'm on their plan until I'm 26 and the GOP wants to repeal Obamacare. I'm struggling to pay for things as it is, will I lose access to healthcare?
I don't think Trump has announced his plans to make sure healthcare is accessible to trans people who do not have other forms of coverage so I don't know what's going on here.

No one does at the moment. The problem Trump will immediately face is getting it through congress-specifically in the senate where neither party has a 2/3rds majority. However that doesn't mean nothing will change. The first thing that will probably change is the executive branches priorities in terms of what rules to enforce.

• Forum Moderator

I would think that Obama care will be either simply canceled or modified in a way that destroys any usefulness.  i also would predict that the difficulties that are faced will be blamed on Obama and not on the companies that thrive on "caring" for the sick.

Charlize

I expect at most it would be modified. The government run exchanges will go first, as will the requirement to buy insurance. The elimination of pre-existing conditions as an insurance tool, and keeping your kids on until they are 26 will remain.