• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sample Materials I used for transitioning at work (Managers Package)

MarcieMarie12

Below is the transition package I sent to my department head, supervisor, HR and head of our organization, I have some other materials I sent to co-workers, as well as some other FAQ type stuff. Hope this is useful (note names have been removed, and ACME Corp is a shout out to Road Runner and Bugs Bunny)! :D 

TRANSITION PACKAGE

Outline of Condition and Suggested Management

Note on Disclosure and Dissemination

The information in this package is highly personal and confidential. It should not be disclosed to anyone outside ACME CORP and involved HR and management personnel without my consent. I would like to expand on the remarks in my introductory letter, provide you with additional resource materials, and offer my thoughts on how to proceed in managing a successful transition.

My Situation

I am a transwoman who is being medically treated according to well-established standards of care. Transgenderism is a matter of personal identity, a sense of what one is, and recognized as a medical condition. It is characterized by a pervasive, life-long identity with the opposite gender. People who have Gender Dysphoria feel that expressing themselves according to their gender identity is a more natural and honest representation of self than to present themselves according to their birth sex. In other words, a male who is transgender will strive to resolve the conflict by taking on female attributes and being known as a woman.

Transgenderism is generally regarded as being primarily biologically, rather than environmentally, determined. It is not a mental delusion, a sexual perversion or willfully adopted mode of behavior. In addition, sexual orientation and gender identity are distinct from each other. Normally, ones sexual orientation remains the same, regardless of medical intervention. There is no known cure for gender dysphoria. However, it is treated by hormonal and surgical intervention. Treatment does not involve use of psycho therapeutic drugs. The recommended therapy is counseling, the provision of cross-gender hormonal therapy, a trial period of cross-gender living, and gender reassignment surgery. Studies indicate overwhelmingly high success rates for transgender persons who live in their new gender role and integrate into the work force. Notably, productivity levels are usually higher after transition.

The Effects of My Condition on My Work Abilities at ACME CORP

Being transgender is a lifelong condition and not acquired during life such as a debilitating disease. I have lived with this condition since childhood and have been a productive member of society. Since this has been a lifelong condition, my ability to carry on with my work tasks will not diminish as a consequence of my transgenderism. In fact, studies have shown that work output improves for those who undergo this transition.

Transitioning at Work

Living wholly as a female at nearly the age of 42 is difficult, to say the least. I have sought the services and advice of professionals and am being treated according to a medically recognized and well-established protocol. I have solicited and received the support of those close to me. All those whom I have notified about my plans accept me for the person I am. .Through their help, I am learning how best to present myself. I socially present myself as a woman whenever I am outside of company time, and am very comfortable with it, and those whom I interact with seem comfortable with me.  

My goal is to work with ACME CORP, especially XXXX XXXX the head of my department and XXXX XXXX my direct supervisor, on how best to affect my transition. My thoughts on the logistics of transition, subject to management advice and agreement, follow:

After considerable consultation with family and counselors, and careful consideration of impact on all parties, I consider the appropriate time to begin living full-time as a woman is July of 2016. This date could be moved forward or backward if desired. I am confident that I will continue to be fully capable of functioning productively in my current environment. 

As part of the transition process, I began to make some changes to my appearance and behavior some time ago. Many of these changes became necessary as I began to spend more and more of my personal time living as a woman. These changes have not gone without notice and many of my coworkers may be beginning to wonder what I am doing. Over the next five months these changes may become even more pronounced. 

During my transition I will be changing necessary documentation, including my legal name, driver’s license, and credit cards, etc. At the completion of my transition, I will be legally established as XXXX XXXX. This will take place in May/June of 2016.

As I mentioned above, a key element in a successful transition is my ability to present myself as a professional woman. I'm sure that management will be rightly concerned about maintaining a professional corporate image, and concerned about my appearance and presentation as a woman. To address that concern, I am providing details on my physical transformation: 

• Beard Removal - This process requires extensive laser and electrolysis treatment, over a period of years. I began this process in January of 2016 and expect to finish in 2017.
  • Hormonal Intervention - Medical hormonal treatments commenced in January 2016 to bring my hormone levels to normal female ranges. This therapy slowly works to give the patient desired physical changes as well as a sense of well-being. Hormonal changes take several years to have their full effect. Most changes start within three months and are complete in 2 to 5 years.
  • Grooming: I am confident that until transition I can continue to present a professional image with my coworkers.

The enclosed photographs of me are how I now appear when I present myself as a woman. I hope these will give you an idea of how I intend to present myself in the workplace. Please bear in mind as you view the photos that my appearance will continue to improve over time due to continued hormonal therapy. After formal transition in July, I intend to present myself as a woman, at work in addition to elsewhere. I will at all times conduct myself as a professional woman and proceed with day-to-day responsibilities.

This is the e-mail that I sent to all of my coworkers:

----

Good afternoon everyone,

I have a small announcement to make. I have recently changed my legal name from XXXX XXXX to XXXX XXXX. I have had other changes in my life, recently as well. Some of you may have noticed my earrings, some my long hair, and maybe the leftover nail polish on my fingernails from the weekend.  As to why I am doing this, I have been doing much soul searching since spring of last year and I have come to the conclusion that I could no longer repress my desire to be a woman and in fact would be unhealthy for me to do so.

I took baby steps to try to find a happy medium as many transgender people like myself do. However, as time went on I found myself less able to return to what I call “boy mode”, meaning I needed to be a woman full-time.  In December, I decided to live as a woman everywhere but work.  After that month it became obvious to me that I need to be out at work as well. After discussing with XXXX, XXXX, XXXX and XXXX, we decided that on May 27th (tomorrow), I will be coming to work as a woman as well.

If you want to learn more, below are some links to resources regarding being transgender:

http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/transgender.aspx

http://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/resources/NCTE_UnderstandingTrans.pdf

http://www.hrc.org/resources/understanding-the-transgender-community

See you all tomorrow!!

-------

Yes, I did move up the sate by a month, I could not take it any longer and the girls were beginning to poke through...:P

This was a follow-up to the e-mail I sent. It was sent by our CEO's Assistant to every co-worker.

ACME CORP Staff FAQ regarding policies on Transgender Employees

Date:  May 23. 2016

1. What is transgender?

The word “transgender” is an umbrella term for people whose gender identity is different from the sex assigned at birth.  Transgenderism is a matter of personal identity, a sense of what one is, and recognized as a medical condition. It is characterized by a pervasive, life-long identity with the opposite gender.

2. Is transgender a mental illness?

Transgender identity is not a mental illness and cannot be cured with treatment.  Sex and gender are complex issues. A huge variety of factors are at work in making each individual the person that they are and there is no one reason that causes people to be transgender. 

3. What is “transitioning?”

The process of changing one’s gender from the sex assigned at birth to one’s gender identity.  For some people, it is a complex process that takes place over a long period of time, while for others it is a one- or two-step process that happens more quickly.  Transition may include “coming out” (telling family, friends, and coworkers); changing the name and/or sex on legal documents; and, for many transgender people, accessing medical treatment such as hormones and surgery.

4. Does being transgender affect one’s ability to work at ACME CORP? 

No.  ACME CORP is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices, including harassment. Therefore, ACME CORP expects that all relationships among persons in the workplace will be business-like and free of bias, prejudice, harassment, and retaliation.

5. What names and pronouns should be used?

An employee has the right to be addressed by the name and pronoun that correspond to the employee’s gender identity, upon request.  If you are unsure what pronoun a transitioning coworker might prefer, you can politely ask your coworker how they would like to be addressed.

6. What is ACME CORP’s policy on discrimination and harassment?

ACME CORP’s employee manual has been updated to reflect that ACME CORP is an equal opportunity employer, and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity characteristics or expression, disability, medical condition, U.S. Military or veteran status in recruiting, hiring, training and promoting.  It is the responsibility of every employee to conform to this policy. This policy prohibits unlawful harassment of any kind, including sexual harassment, and slurs or jokes based on any protected class. Furthermore, ACME CORP will not retaliate against any employee for filing a complaint and will not tolerate retaliation by management employees or co-workers. 

7. What about restroom accessibility?

Transgender employees will have access to the restroom corresponding to their gender identity.  Any employee who has a need or desire for increased privacy, regardless of the underlying reason, may use the single-stall restroom on the second floor. 

8. Dress Code

ACME CORP does not have dress codes that restrict employees’ clothing or appearance on the basis of gender. Transgender employees must comply with company dress codes in a manner consistent with their gender identity or gender expression.

9. What if I have questions or concerns?

See Employee Policy Manual. 

STEP 1:  Employees should talk to their supervisors about any problems or complaints.  Employees should give supervisors the whole story from their perspective.  Supervisors generally have the authority to resolve most employee relations issues arising in their areas. 

STEP 2:  If supervisors are not successful in solving the problem satisfactorily, employees and the supervisor may take the question to the President & CEO.  The decision at this level is final.

Also, with my input our non-discrimination policy was updated to include gender identity:

Policy

ACME CORP is an equal opportunity employer, and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity characteristics or expression, disability, medical condition, U.S. Military or veteran status in recruiting, hiring, training and promoting. All other aspects of employment such as compensation, benefits, transfers, terminations, layoffs, recalls, training, tuition assistance, social and recreational programs, etc., shall continue to be administered so as to reflect the above policy. Certain states may cover additional groups and, in those states, ACME CORP extends its EEO policy of non-discrimination to those groups. It is the responsibility of every employee to conform with this policy. This policy prohibits unlawful harassment of any kind, including sexual harassment, and slurs or jokes based on any protected class. Furthermore, ACME CORP will not retaliate against any employee for filing a complaint and will not tolerate retaliation by management employees or co-workers. Any employee who feels that he or she has been treated contrary to this policy, including any harassment by company personnel or work-related harassment by any other person, should contact his or her supervisor, any member of the Human Resources department or the Employee Relations office, or any line manager, up to and including the CEO. Any employee who is found to have violated this policy shall be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.” The following paragraphs of Section A and B provide more information regarding these policies.

• Forum Moderator

Thanks Marcie.  This is a well thought out package that I am sure others can use as a model in their own transition journey.  

Jani

Wow thank you Marcie!  At my last employer, the HR dept was supposed to do this but...  You know how that goes.  I talked to one of my former peers there this past weekend and she said-->still not done.  How disappointing.

• 4 years later...