• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

When Make-up Ideals are Outdated

Guest Grandmotherbear

Guest Grandmotherbear

I really don't know how to title this accurately and briefly. I have noticed in my time as a long term care nurse that many older women's makeup ideals and practices were right out of the past, usually from whenever they reached maturity. They made up just like women looked in the 30s, 40's, and 50s, even having their families search for and obtain makeups from that day and age- cake mascara instead of wands, loose powder instead of pressed. I even have a story, not gonna relate here and now, about how the activity director and Mary Kaye representative helped me  cure an elderly woman's constant lowlevel lung congestion...When my spouse started to transition I would buy the makeup, looking for inexpensive stuff (we were raising kids on a smaller income than we had planned) but I kept seeing her making up in a direct copy of her mother's 1940's-1950s makeup style. It made me shudder. But I have moved away from makeup in my life- except for 100 SPF sunscreen due to 59 basal cell, 4 squamous cell cancers and a malignant melanoma, and when I attempted to assist it all came out like we were both ready to hit the grounds running for the Summer of Love(1967)

There are no coincidences in this life...I was checking out of a drugstore after picking up a prescription and there   was a MaryKaye representative also checking out. We said hi, and she gave me her card. Interestingly enough, she lives closer to the small town we spend most of our time than either of us live to the city we met in. (I have NO financial interest in Mary Kaye other than being a satisfied consumer) I called her later, after discussions with my spouse, and then put her on the phone. She met with us, gave us both a makeover and teaching, and has been very supportive. Interestingly enough my spouse had to run to the store, presenting as a male, right after the first lesson, and no-body looked askance. My spouse did NOT look made-up- she just looked darned good! So, I learnt from this that it's important to learn the contemporary looks and products in makeup, and the best way to do this is with a professional.

I know MaryKaye, another is Avon. Don't know any other makeup companies, but ongoing support is a part and parcel of MaryKaye's CS activities.

I don't suggest a major department store's beautician contractors, as my niece by spouse used to be a Macy's contracted beautician and would come home and make fun of the "guys" who bought makeup and asked for application tips for their "sisters". Jennifer Finney Boylan said that was how she learned to make up in "She's not There", the autobiography. It may be okay in whatever area YOU are in- I'm just talking about our personal experiences.

So please, if you're having a little trouble "presenting" as your inborn gender, even when made-up, consider your makeup style as objectively as possible and see if you need to update that to current trends.

Just a thought...I have this need to try to be helpful to people....

I know what you are saying about professionals, but I LOVE this makeup video! I have watched almost all of Courtney's videos on makeup! Between this video and some tips from my wife I now have a makeup routine that I can do relatively quickly that makes me feel fantastic! We use Coastal Scents for makeup, it's relatively cheap but has good coverage overall!

• Admin

Actually, I get a lot of good make-up help at both Sephora (the stand alone stores, not the ones in major department stores) and Ulta.  My hair stylist / colorist is at one of the Ulta Salons near me, and has been for 3 years now, and she has an MtF sister which makes it a fun visit every 6 weeks.  The demonstrator make-up artists at those stores are not on commission, and thus, while they have a brand they know best, they do not oversell the products in my experience. 

The short video that @Cindy Truheart  put in above is a very good one for early users and while I do not use Courtney's exact methods, mine are close to it.  I am lucky that my face was fairly feminine to start with.  I use the Derma Blend brand creme foundation which will cover the blue/black in the beard area since it is meant as a tattoo cover as well.  It is a little expensive, but lasts for several months even of full time after you learn the less is more theory.  Do go and learn your own preferences, and let the non - commission artists give you tips or suggestions.  Their suggestions some times affirm what I learned on my own, and sometimes my ideas are better, but they are fun to do.

4 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Actually, I get a lot of good make-up help at both Sephora (the stand alone stores, not the ones in major department stores) and Ulta.  My hair stylist / colorist is at one of the Ulta Salons near me, and has been for 3 years now, and she has an MtF sister which makes it a fun visit every 6 weeks.  The demonstrator make-up artists at those stores are not on commission, and thus, while they have a brand they know best, they do not oversell the products in my experience. 

The short video that @Cindy Truheart  put in above is a very good one for early users and while I do not use Courtney's exact methods, mine are close to it.  I am lucky that my face was fairly feminine to start with.  I use the Derma Blend brand creme foundation which will cover the blue/black in the beard area since it is meant as a tattoo cover as well.  It is a little expensive, but lasts for several months even of full time after you learn the less is more theory.  Do go and learn your own preferences, and let the non - commission artists give you tips or suggestions.  Their suggestions some times affirm what I learned on my own, and sometimes my ideas are better, but they are fun to do.

We have an Ulta in town finally, but we haven't been in there. My wife has her makeup routine which is something she only puts on when we dress up and she doesn't care to learn more. And since I'm still hiding I can't go in there yet. But not to worry, I'll drag her in one of these stores when I can be full time! Thanks for the tips Vicky!

What I found is that my normal everyday make-up routine takes about 15 minutes post prep. I originally was doing a more complicated make up routine with multiple eye-shadow shades, liner, and countouring (broner mostly). As HRT has advanced, the bronzer has been unused and I've used my contouring kit once. I just don't get much benefit from it.

My everyday routine is eyshadow (a mid color--pink, purple, bronze and rarely green) mascara, concealer (don't need beard concealer--yay laser!!), foundation, and a light blush.

21 hours ago, Grandmotherbear said:

I really don't know how to title this accurately and briefly. I have noticed in my time as a long term care nurse that many older women's makeup ideals and practices were right out of the past, usually from whenever they reached maturity. They made up just like women looked in the 30s, 40's, and 50s, even having their families search for and obtain makeups from that day and age- cake mascara instead of wands, loose powder instead of pressed. I even have a story, not gonna relate here and now, about how the activity director and Mary Kaye representative helped me  cure an elderly woman's constant lowlevel lung congestion...When my spouse started to transition I would buy the makeup, looking for inexpensive stuff (we were raising kids on a smaller income than we had planned) but I kept seeing her making up in a direct copy of her mother's 1940's-1950s makeup style. It made me shudder. But I have moved away from makeup in my life- except for 100 SPF sunscreen due to 59 basal cell, 4 squamous cell cancers and a malignant melanoma, and when I attempted to assist it all ame out like we were both ready to hit the grounds running for the Summer of Love(1967)....

Interesting post.  I remember reading a paperback book many, many years ago, entitled, A Year Among the Girls; [I forget the author & the paperback[s publisher.]  The book dealt with the author's introduction to the cross-dressing/transvestite community, meeting Virginia Prince, and later attending a several day (week?) long gathering up in New England.  It was the author's observation that many of the cross-dressers' makeup was characteristic of an earlier generation (usually their mother's). 

There was also the observation that some of the foreign attendees' makeup style appeared even more dated.  [I think about this latter observation in retrospect.  Certainly in the pre-wwweb world, prior to telecommunications satellite devices, with only print media and film-cans physically shipped to their destination, the process of process of change was relatively slower, including that of fashion trends.  There were delays in new styles gaining popularity, as well as distinctively indigenous styles developing.]  I suspect that despite the push for globalism/one-world-order and existence of near-instant telecommunications, the observations made in the afore-quoted post may continue to be valid in many circumstances (e.g., older individuals whose social circle is mostly restricted to those of their own generation). 

Again, interesting post. 

11 hours ago, Cindy Truheart said:

Between this video and some tips from my wife I now have a makeup routine that I can do relatively quickly that makes me feel fantastic!

I think this is key - finding a routine that you really like and one that you can do relatively quickly.  My wife used to groan and then make lots of 'silly' comments on how long it took me to get ready.  While I'm not as fast as her, after some coaching and professional help, I'm almost there --> sub 1 hour getting ready in the morning routine.  I went to a private person that I met at the drugstore makeup counter.  She did it on the side from her home based salon.  She didn't push any specific products.  She just went over pros/cons of various lines and what tended to work or not work for various skin types etc. 

To the point of what Grandmotherbear posted, I tend to agree.  I notice this too.  Like most of us, I tend to really focus in on other women of all ages to see what they are wearing, their hair, and makeup.  While many women continuously update or modernize their makeup routine, many still use the same/similar products and have the same routines they used when they were in HS.  Or it appears that way to me anyway.  Blue eye shadow to your forehead and big bell bottoms anyone??  Neon nail polish and side ponytail anyone??  Super skinny brows and fountain hair anyone?? LOL 

I really want skinnier brows, but apparrently those are out of style--thicker brows are (still?). It is on my to do list, but too many other things on my plate at the moment. BTW--got Gel nails at a salon. Took a bit over two weeks for chips to appear and those are still small. I love painted nails, but I am lucky if they last intact for a day when I do them.

• Forum Moderator

I see the dark "bushy" brows on models in magazines and do not care for the look.  Maybe its a generational thing?  I like short, neatly trimmed brows that are similar to hair color.

Jani