• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT as nonbinary?

Hi everyone, Spark here. I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking and listening to stories from FTM trans individuals about taking testosterone, and I was wondering if anyone here who identifies as nonbinary/genderfluid/etc has any advice about taking it as someone who is not transgender? It's not unheard of (I've found several accounts from nonbinary folks), but I imagine some things might be different (like conversations with your doctor--which I'm still looking for since my PP doesn't know enough to help me). I know what kind of application I'd like to use and roughly what dosage (along with which tests I'll need to take), I'm just not sure how to find a clinician who could help administer the hormone and how to approach them as a non-trans person. Thoughts?

• Forum Moderator

Although I have no experience to fall back on here, I suspect strongly that someone who regards themselves as non-binary would not  qualify for hormone treatment at the outset, if at all. An in-depth psychological assessment would be required. Essentially someone would follow the normal route as in a transexual individual. Hormones are dangerous things to play with and require medical supervision. In a similar vein, a doctor would not likely prescribe unless there was a clinical need.

In the US things may be different to some extent, but I would hope there would be extended frank discussion before any treatment.

Please discuss with your doctor

Tracy

• Admin

We do have an "informed consent" track for obtaining HRT here in the U.S. and Non-binary does fall under the general coverage of being Transgender,   To give informed consent, you must have full knowledge of what the hormones are and do, and all risks concerning their side effects, and even unwanted primary effects.  You must accept all risk of what they will do and agree to hold the doctor harmless if you have any of the damaging or even fatal effects such as heart attack, liver failure or even if the hormones just do not work. 

As a non-binary person who is considering HRT, I've had several concerns about getting it such as people may not take me seriously. I'm afraid that simply because I don't completely fit into the category of a trans women that I would be denied. For someone reason many people, which unfortunately includes healthcare providers are not aware of no-binary people who have dysphoria over not having a body which is something other than male or female. I've encountered a few non-binary people who were taken seriously when it comes to HRT.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far! I'm hoping I can find a doctor who is sympathetic to the gender dysphoria I feel even if it isn't typical to the transgender experience. I will definitely make sure to have a thorough discussion with them before starting any kind of treatment. I've also done some pretty in-depth research about what tests are required for hormones, what the side effects are, potential health risks, etc.

Vicky, if you could tell me more about the "informed consent" track or point me to resources where I can get more information on it, that would be stellar.

Guest cerise

I will let other people answer your question but I would assume from my recent experiance that it was a series of appointments with a doctor where along questions and some free form dialogue on the patients/clients part the doctor gives you a print out of hrt effects and time frames ect. I read them over and over and then after the blood work was all good the doctor went through the sheets point by point and I signed of on each one. It was a long process and regardless of how much one knows everything is gone over.

With the Internet , most people are pretty well informed but they want to know your reasons and want to make sure you are informed.

in my case the process started earlier than expected as a client got cold feet and backed out.

it was good as I opted for transdermal patches over pills in regards to estrogen as risks were less. I learned this through the process.

• Admin
9 hours ago, irl_spark said:

Vicky, if you could tell me more about the "informed consent" track or point me to resources where I can get more information on it, that would be stellar.

Cerise has pretty well laid out the procedure up there.  Contact the LGBTQ center there in Austin and they can probably give you names of some doctors that will prescribe HRT that way. 

Guest miss andros

I am in same situation. Really I understand risks to health but it very important for me. 

And it exhausting in daily live. Beside my social difficulty.

I talked with another friend who did informed consent and that matches up with what she was saying. I reached out to one of the Austin centers, and while I wait to hear back from them I'll keeping looking for doctors who do the informed consent method because it sounds like my best option at this point. The most important thing for me right now is finding a doctor who I can be open with about my specific needs.

miss andros, I know exactly how you feel and I hope you find the care that you need! Nonbinary folks face a lot of unique difficulties. I'm constantly misgendered at work, but if I tried to correct my coworkers it would just cause a lot of confusion and require more explanation than I have time or energy for. HRT is going to take a lot of work on my end, but I'm willing to do what I must in order to feel more comfortable in my own body.