• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Foundation and Sunscreen

Guest Angelgrlsue

Guest Angelgrlsue

I have a question about sunscreen and foundation makeup.  I have used liquid foundation for years without any problems until now.  I apply an SPF 30 sunscreen to my face before I apply any makeup.  Right after I apply the liquid foundation though, my eyes start to get red and irritated, my nose begins to run and I get the chills, all allergic reactions to the combination of the foundation and sunscreen. I am thinking it is the combination of chemicals, they are too strong for me now and my body is not able to handle that.  I am thinking of changing my foundation to a powder foundation, however my question Is, will I still be able to apply my sunscreen without the powder foundation caking up?  I am considering Bare Minerals powder foundation.  I know it already has an SPF 15 in it but that is not going to be enough coverage for me, my regular sunscreen is an SPF 30.  I use Neutragena Dry To Touch sunscreen.  I do know that Bare Minerals also sells a powder sunscreen of SPF 30 but I am not sure if that is going to really cover my entire face.  I need to have my face well covered, I am outdoors quiet a bit. 

Angelgrl.

• Admin

I know you are down south of me (I am near Pasadena CA) and I have friends in your area that are having allergies they thought they got rid of years ago flare up because of the amount of rain we have had and the huge  pollen release that has taken place.  It could be that as well as the make-up combo.  My allergies are over the top this year as well, so I know the itchy eyes thing and some skin rash. 

Bare Minerals is a good brand that has not given me any problems in any sunscreen strength.  If you use products by the same manufacturer you have less chance of a bad interaction is what I have found.

I belong to Kaiser Health Plan and they have recently added an "esthetics" make-up service to many of their Dermatology Clinics and they have a product called Glo Minerals that I use now over one of their moisturizers that has an SPF30 that would be enough by itself for me. (Nordic blond skin)  It is only a couple of dollars more than what I spend at ULTA or Sephora, but I let them worry about their being bad reactions between each other.

• Forum Moderator

It certainly sounds like a reaction to the combination you are using.  Recognizing that good sunscreen coverage is important I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup.  It's a broad spectrum SPF20 makeup that never irritates my skin.  

Jani

• Forum Moderator

I have also found a moisturiser that is SPF30 which works with foundation without problem. I find sunscreen too sticky or greasy and problematic so only ever tend to use it on my hands, and even then mixed with hand cream. The sunscreen I use is formulated for children with their more sensitive skin and has very high SPF. That is another option that may work.

Tracy

Guest Angelgrlsue

Thank you for your replies ladies.  I had no idea Neutragena made makeup.  May look into that as well.  I do know that the Mary Kay line does carry a moisturizer that has sunscreen built into it, may consider that as well.  Vicky, would I have to belong to Kaiser in order to purchase the Glo Minerals foundation you speak of? 

• Admin
13 hours ago, Angelgrlsue said:

Vicky, would I have to belong to Kaiser in order to purchase the Glo Minerals foundation you speak of? 

I don't know.

I use a foundation primer that is SPF 15. But I live in Virginia so the sun does not get as bad as southern California. Plus I do not stay out too terribly long.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I've seen Neutrogena moisturizer with SPF 30, but the bottle is about half the size of the moisturizer I use with SPF 15.